Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times

Advertisements

Recently my knees have begun to really hurt when I walk up/down stairs. I am overweight and I'm working on losing it. Has anyone ever had this issue? If so, did it go away after you lost the weight?

So sick and tired of being sick and tired!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
The extra weight on the knees doesn't help as your knees are under a lot of stress anyway but being overweight will make it worse.
Other than taking off the weight, start taking glucosimine tablets. It takes about 6 weeks for it to kick in but it will help you.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:30 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
I agree with songinthewind7. I have been overweight for my whole life although I have lost about 50 pounds in the last 6+ months. I have had knee problems for more than 10 years including acute problems in recent months that had me walking with a cane at times. I started taking glucosamine (Osteo BiFlex) twice a day maybe 2 months ago and have noticed major improvements in my knees. I'm also exercising and, of course, have lost weight so that is hopefully helping my knees, but the change in my knees has been so significant that I believe the glucosamine must be helping.

For the past 6 months I've been working out on an elliptical (up to an hour or more a day). And even though the elliptical is non-impact it still caused problems with my knees and feet if I worked out too long at a time. I have recently bought a recumbent exercise bike so that I could switch off back and forth and that has also helped my knee problems. I feel like I get a more vigorous workout on the elliptical, but the bike doesn't cause problems with my knees or feet. Well, to be honest, my knees can get slightly tweaky when I pedal for an hour at a time but it goes away as soon as I stop and I can feel that my leg muscles are getting stronger, which will also help my knees work better.

So my best advice is to lose weight and exercise doing low or no-impact exercise. Build up the muscles in your legs and take glucosamine.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been overweight... almost all my life. When i was younger and smaller I used to think I was soooo fat! I sure wish I was that size now!! However, in the past few years I've gained more & more. I am now at my breaking point (guess my knees are too). lol So I HAVE to do something about this weight it seems to be the only thing in my life I can't seem to get a hold on.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
as an ex-gymnast, I have a LOT of problems w/my knees. I got a Gazelle for my workouts and its so lowimpact on the knees, I dont have hardly any issues at all after using it. Only if i try to do it in a squat. For me, it was a lot better than a stairstepper or treadmill...
Hey, Im with you too on this frustration. I can definatly get ahold of my extra weight though, I just grab on at my belly...or my thighs...or my butt....lol

Old 09-09-2008, 12:50 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
I've had severe knee problems and they disappear when I lose weight.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:32 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Tiff (& everybody!)...

I used to be an athelte, and now my knees are creaking' away. I'm not overwieght, so doc thinks it's because over the years I've put so very much additonal stress on them, they're giving up! I tried to take care of my knees over the years, by doing acticities correctly, but it does catch up!

I up for trying the glucosamine. I haven't tried the Gazelle - are they only available through mail-order? When I use a stair-stepper or eliptical machine, my knees hurt for about the first five +/- minutes, then the pain gradually dissapates.

Can you tell me why you prefer the Gazelle? Was it worth the cost..I'm dangerously close to getting an elliptical machine, so I am very curious!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
hey there SeeBee.
I got my Gazelle for Christmas.....hubby says he got it at KMart. (and hes upset now cuz I wasnt supposed to tell anyone he got me an exersize machine for my Christmas gift! lol) anyhow, I had tried one years before and loved how not only is there no bending for my knees to suffer through, but it helps keep my muscles stretched too cuz you can go pretty wide on em. It folds up fairly smallish, and you can adjust as you wish w/your strides and all. I'll also go from flat feet to up on toe, I put the wrist weights on and can either pump my arms up or front/back, whatever while I go. Its quiet so I can do it while watching tv, even the husband likes to "Play" on it sometimes too....as do the kids, sigh. Anyhow, I think mine was fairly inexpensive, less then the ellipticals I believe. Under 100.00 i know.
can you get to like a Kmart or a Walmart and try each one out? Theyve got em set up at our local WalMart and Im just onery enough that Ive yanked stuff down or climbed up to try stuff out. I know you can do tryouts on the machines at the local sporting goods stores too....
Good luck!!
Tiff
ps. check ebay/craigslist/classifieds too...if you can find one w/local pickup, you might get a good deal!!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Yes, had it and it passed with the pounds.

I knew extra weight = extra stress on the knees. But a recent tylenol comm really made me go "wow" to think about it... It stated for every pound you lose...4 pounds of pressure are taken off your knees.

Also through my loss there would be certain stage where I felt my bones go back into the right place instead of being pushed/pulled strange by excess weight. It made me ache when I would re-align. LOL

In the meantime avoid caffine as much as possible. Watch for the possibility that fake sweetners your use could be making it worse. (it does happen to some)
Take a multivitamin too. Joint pain can be from a nutritional lacking.
You can be overweight and nutritionally depleted easily. (empty calorie history)

Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
I agree with songinthewind7. I have been overweight for my whole life although I have lost about 50 pounds in the last 6+ months. I have had knee problems for more than 10 years including acute problems in recent months that had me walking with a cane at times. I started taking glucosamine (Osteo BiFlex) twice a day maybe 2 months ago and have noticed major improvements in my knees. I'm also exercising and, of course, have lost weight so that is hopefully helping my knees, but the change in my knees has been so significant that I believe the glucosamine must be helping.

For the past 6 months I've been working out on an elliptical (up to an hour or more a day). And even though the elliptical is non-impact it still caused problems with my knees and feet if I worked out too long at a time. I have recently bought a recumbent exercise bike so that I could switch off back and forth and that has also helped my knee problems. I feel like I get a more vigorous workout on the elliptical, but the bike doesn't cause problems with my knees or feet. Well, to be honest, my knees can get slightly tweaky when I pedal for an hour at a time but it goes away as soon as I stop and I can feel that my leg muscles are getting stronger, which will also help my knees work better.

So my best advice is to lose weight and exercise doing low or no-impact exercise. Build up the muscles in your legs and take glucosamine.

Good luck!
Do you have access to a trainer that can make sure you have proper bike form and seat placement?

Im not saying thats why you ache...But it could be. Check it out if you can so you can avoid damage/pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss