Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,407,693 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this line of thinking. Why would you want to discourage anyone from exercising? I exercised for a long time and lost weight. I didn't pig out on junk food from being hungry afterward. Yes exercise fuels metabolism which makes you hungry BUT that is no excuse to eat the wrong food! It still boils down to controlling what you put in your mouth. Exercise or not. When I moved down here to redneck hell there were no gyms worth going to and guess what happened? I put on about 8 pounds. Started working a physical job and the 8 pounds came back off.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
- exercise does make some people even more hungry
- exercise can be too hard for some with extra weight so they just totally give up
- changing things starts one step at a time. So why freak out over whats going on with your plate AND what you have to do at the gym. If you are overweight and control what you eat you don't even need to go to a gym to get to a healthier weight (where it is safer/easier to workout).

Old 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
My work is physical--that's exercise enough. Plus I walk about 2 miles each way.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,001,064 times
DaniMae, I totally agree with you. EVERYONE needs exercise. AND I MEAN EVERYONE!!! Its not just about weight, its about health. Eating a healthy diet and sitting on one's a$$ all day is NOT enough to get and keep you healthy. At least an hour of daily exercise is what is needed (and is even recommended) for health.

You always hear people saying "treat your body like a temple" and that is exactly what I do. Hell, some people take better care of their cars or pets than they do themselves. I can always get a new animal or new car, but I am stuck with this body for this lifetime so I am sure to take as good care of it as possible.

People who think they dont need exercise are probably just using it as an excuse to continue with their lazy lives.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,669,088 times
I really miss exercising. I was training for a half marathon until 3 months ago when my medication ceased production. There was a virus found in one of the bioreactors at the only plant where my meds are made. Now, it takes a lot of energy for me to simply get out of bed in the morning. Exercise? I can barely walk up a flight of stairs without my knees aching so much I want to cry.

End of November and I should be getting my meds again.... I'm counting down the days. Then, the marathon training begins in earnest!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,895,230 times
Exercise should be part of your daily regiment to stay healthy, to look good in public, and to show people that you do take care of yourself.

Why does everyone think exercise should take hours, be strenuous, and be hard???!!

It doesn't have to be, you know. Just taking a 1 mile walk (or a walk for 15 minutes) is exercise. It doesn't have to hard, strenuous, or long to be considered "working out" or exercise. Just taking a walk for 2-3 blocks is exercise.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
Walking a mile when you are 300 lbs is pretty much impossible and possibly dangerous. I really don't think anyone who has not been fat or had to run in the army with a pack on the back knows what a beast it is to move around extra weight. Just for fun you workout freaks Strap about 100 lbs on yourself and then go do your workout. Report back please.

Lao...i know you wanna.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:51 AM

378 posts, read 1,065,088 times
Not every one has to purposefully do exercise sessions other than normal daily life. There are some of us that get more daily exercise in our lifestyle than someone who goes to a gym everyday. Bricklayers, woodcutters, many landscaping jobs, etc. These people do not need to work out other than their job and probably and as I said get more actual conditioning than those who sit behind a desk all day. Push mowing a lawn for an hour four times a week was all I did for several summers and I was in the best shape ever- gives you rock hard abs doing the hills and ditches plus you are actually getting a task accomplished. As far as the 300# person not being able to walk a mile you MUST start somewhere. I would say walk a mile however long it takes every day and sooner or later you will make progress. You are totally screwed if you get so fat and you get sick and end up in bed in the hospital or something and get deconditioned that you cannot even lift your own body mass-- very bad situation many don't think about. Then you are doomed bed bound to a nursing home.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:25 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,957,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
DaniMae, I totally agree with you. EVERYONE needs exercise. AND I MEAN EVERYONE!!! Its not just about weight, its about health. Eating a healthy diet and sitting on one's a$$ all day is NOT enough to get and keep you healthy. At least an hour of daily exercise is what is needed (and is even recommended) for health.

You always hear people saying "treat your body like a temple" and that is exactly what I do. Hell, some people take better care of their cars or pets than they do themselves. I can always get a new animal or new car, but I am stuck with this body for this lifetime so I am sure to take as good care of it as possible.

People who think they dont need exercise are probably just using it as an excuse to continue with their lazy lives.
It must also be made CLEAR that:

"Exercise" is not limited to going to or joining a gym.
"Exercise" is not limited to spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on home fitness equipment.
"Exercise" is not limited to running 20 miles per day with the latest pair of running shoes.
"Exercise" is not limited to participating in "Tybo" or the latest video fitness program that makes someone a milionaire.

"Exercise" can be as simple as walking 1 mile to or from the bus stop or parking garage to work. Therefore, many people get "exercise" by performing their everyday work routines, especially those individuals who perform walking or other physical activity as part of their daily work routine.

Last edited by dorado0359; 10-31-2009 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,806,728 times
I'm not THE healthiest eater in the world but I do exercise. I figure it's a trade off.

I'm trying to improve my eating habits (mainly eating less red meat).

I do agree everyone should exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss