Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 03:16 PM

149 posts, read 496,991 times

Advertisements

Is it a problem in the area you live in? Does your city do anything to help kids get out and exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 02:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Not much around where we live, but our area is wealthy and educated.

Go down the street a few miles to another part of town, and the stats change.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Our city has sports events and organizations to get kids out of the house to exercise. The sad thing is, is that obesity and a sedentary lifestyle begins at home. Monkey see, monkey do.

It doesn't make sense, but it's true that the lower the education and the lower the income, the more likeliness of obesity with the parents and it follows with their children. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/20...education.html

With the awareness of what causes obesity these days, there is NO excuse for them to wonder why. I guess they like their junk food, pasta and french fries more than they care about their kids following suit and growing up obese?

I find it very sad that obese parents don't see the troubles they have being big and do something to spare their children from these same troubles... discrimination, diabetes, not feeling good about one's self image, to name a few.

As much as people shout out about big being beautiful, (and yes you can be beautiful AND overweight) but you can't tell me that given the choice right then and there, that they wouldn't want to be non-obese.

Two obese parents I know used to send their young child to school with two sandwiches and a LARGE bag of chips to school every day. He ate everything and then went around eating the other kid's leftovers. He's now an obese adult and so is his sister.

Last edited by gouligann; 09-21-2016 at 04:21 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Chances are if the child is obese the parents are as well. They do not know how to eat correctly so they are passing it down to their kids. Of course there are fat kids from healthy weight parents, but that is the exception not the rule. Fix the parents.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM

4,956 posts, read 3,319,465 times
I was watching a tv programme about New York they filmed a family ordering dinner online. When the journalist asked how many times a week she ordered out for dinner she answered four or five times a week because both parents worked. The delivery guy was filmed delivering pizza, dinner was shown on their table. Nothing in the way of a salad or veg. My personal thought was she could have sliced some tomatos, a cucumber to add veg,then maybe she did not have it in the kitchen.
The children were sitting at table but looked a bit big for their age, not an issue yet but some more years of eating like that one could see it becoming a problem.
Outside of the home is lots of temptations so that too is an issue.
I think allover world is less people making home cooked healthy dinners after a hard days work in busy families.
There is also so much food choices out there.
I am from 1960 and I remember jusr 2 types of crisps/chips in the grocery shop that opened when I was little, crisps came with tiny separate blue sachet included in small bag with salt to add it yourself. These days is an aisle full of chips/crips in all sorts of shape,s tastes every time newer types are brought out. How much food do we need......
Even back in my time there were kids in school who were not given food to take to school I allways gave away mine for someone hungry to eat. Being obese does not always mean one has good nutrition. Some people eat a lot of food but sort of no-nutrition no vitamins in there, is just empty calories no real food.
One of the most scary things I saw on tv is the very young very obese who grew bendy misshapen legs that bow outwards.
The food industry is there to sell us food. People existed for thousands of years without all the industrial produced foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss