Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 AM

434 posts, read 1,123,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
I'm right there with you gals! I've gained at LEAST 25 pounds in the last coupla years and REALLY need to get it off! (I realized that my suspicions where correct when I tried to put on what used to be my "fat a$$ skirt" and I couldn't get it zipped!!! ) Most of the weight has been put on since I stopped eating meat, tho. Substituting it with all those carbs (tho I do tend to do whole wheat for the most part), beans, and soy products. Ugh. Time to start monitoring portions a LOT more, and start actually moving this fat a$$!!!!

Regarding Curves ~ I saw a commercial the other day, and it looks like the machines are much improved? I'd sure prefer to work out in that environment.

I'm starting Monday, with the "Couch to 5K" program. My goal is to do the Komen Race for the Cure in April. Wish me luck!

Good for you Jules that is a great goal to run a marathon. Keep us posted on your progress.

Regarding Curves, it really has improved over the past couple of years as it still has the 30 minute workout of a least 3 times a week, but they have a sort of personal coaching system that is geared to your body and workout. It really is pretty neat because it encourages you to keep working harder. When I was applying it, it did work. I am going to get back on track starting tomorrow.

As far as Nutri System goes, as I mentioned my sister in law did really great on the program. She did like most everything on the program with few complaints. Fortunately I am not to picky and will commit to 3 months and see what happens. I have my mind set because if I don't do something now in a couple more years I will really be the "fat lady and I won't be singing!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 02:36 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
So.......you're the only one that gets a pass due to being busy? You don't exercise and it's because you're busy. San Antonio, in general, according to you, is just fat and lazy, but none of us work or have kids, or have homes to take care of? Please.

All I'm saying is it's not a SA thing....people in every city are busy and overweight.

I;m sorry Sapphire, where is it that I asked for a pass due to being busy? I don't actually remember claiming that I don't exercise because I was too busy, I didn't go to the gym because I was too busy. Which was the point of my post. I was asking if she was going to the gym or if she just belonged. There is a difference and I was making that clarification point.

People are busy and overweight in every city but San Antonio was in the top 3 nation wide for several years. So yeah, it happens in every city but it was only recently that San Antonio dropped down to being only in the top 10.

Go ahead, tell me how San Antonio is just as skinny as the rest of the nation. Newsflash, it's not. The US is a fat nation, San Antonio is a fat city. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out, all you have to do is take a walk in a mall/grocery store/place of large populace and it's right there in front of you. One of the things that amazed us when we first move here was the sheer volume (no pun intended) of morbidly obese here. And yes, that includes the children.

I did not claim that I was too busy to exercise, I do, I just don't do it at the gym. 2 years here and counting, haven't gained a pound. All it takes is going out and seeing all the enormous people at the grocery store pounding down the doughnuts as they shop, before they even get in line. I've lived in a variety of different cities all over the US and this is the only one I've wanted to rip food out of people's mouths and beg them to stop before they exploded.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
I'm sorry Michelle, you like the opportunity to bash SA in your posts. It's not helpful to the discussion at hand and is simply meant to rile folks. Or maybe you can explain how it's helpful. Um, news flash, it's not. And you know it.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM

Just got my first Nutri System order and am starting today. I never ever would publish my weight publicly but am going to do it as I hope it will be an incentive for me in my journey from " fat Moderator cut: language removed to 140 lbs". Starting weight is a hefty 168. YUKKKK!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-05-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
Good luck critter gal with the nutrisystem. My mom lost 60 pounds on it. Then she got sick due with an infection, not with anything with the nutrisystem but her doctor said she needed less carbs, so she mailed her next order of nutri system to us (some dinners have quite a bit of carbs)I think you will like the food. There is a lot of pasta in many dinners and I sort of got tired of that. I was comparing it all the time to Jenny Craig and in my opinion nutrisystem doesn't come close, but it will work if you stick to it. Right now I am doing Weight Watchers just because it is more affordable to me right now. I have that last 20 lbs I want to lose and it's been tough. I have never been tons overweight, but the last 3 or 4 years I just can't seem to lose 10 lbs.
Just a note: if you find that you still want nutrisystem later and dont want to order, Big Lots carries nutri system food too. They don't carry everything and I am not sure why they have it, but I have bought many of the little lunches in a can there, pasta and beef, chicken catitori, vegetable beef soup for 1.00 a can.
Good luck and I will be rooting for you to accomplishment your goal!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Good luck critter gal with the nutrisystem. My mom lost 60 pounds on it. Then she got sick due with an infection, not with anything with the nutrisystem but her doctor said she needed less carbs, so she mailed her next order of nutri system to us (some dinners have quite a bit of carbs)I think you will like the food. There is a lot of pasta in many dinners and I sort of got tired of that. I was comparing it all the time to Jenny Craig and in my opinion nutrisystem doesn't come close, but it will work if you stick to it. Right now I am doing Weight Watchers just because it is more affordable to me right now. I have that last 20 lbs I want to lose and it's been tough. I have never been tons overweight, but the last 3 or 4 years I just can't seem to lose 10 lbs.
Just a note: if you find that you still want nutrisystem later and dont want to order, Big Lots carries nutri system food too. They don't carry everything and I am not sure why they have it, but I have bought many of the little lunches in a can there, pasta and beef, chicken catitori, vegetable beef soup for 1.00 a can.
Good luck and I will be rooting for you to accomplishment your goal!

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Your Mom did great! I am determined to get these pounds off. Big Lots?? I wonder if they are close to expiration and that is why they sell them. I am definitely going to check it out. It has only been a couple of days but so far I have liked what I have tried. I am not a picky eater though so that is a plus.

I hope you do well on Weight Watchers. It is a good program which I have done in the past. I just felt that I needed something different to jump start me and get me going. You will do it too!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM

Thumbs up Got my start!

I started on Nutri System on 1/14/09 and it is now 3/13/09. I have lost about 12 pounds maybe a little bit more as I haven't weighed myself this week yet. I am very consistent with my work out at Curves. I go at least 4 times a week. I have lost inches as well as weight. I feel better about myself, and am actually going to look for a bathing suit...black of course....for our trip to the shore.

As far as the Nutri System program goes...it did what it said it would. There are quite a few of the foods that have tomato sauces and I feel that the variety is not that great. I do love the breakfast and lunch bars though! I was not hungry! I have about another week and a half to go with the program and then I will just take control myself. I am glad that I ordered it so as to give myself the jump start that I needed.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie in this forum with this as my first post. As you will see, I live in Ontario Canada and I'm a senior at 66 yrs. of age. I've had a weight problem all my life and have gained, lost, gained, lost and gained again. I have also maintained my weight for many many years so I do know what to do and how to do it. Once again I'm at the point where I need to lose 50 lbs. but this time I'm on my own without being able to afford a gym membership or WW membership on my fixed income. So I've started the WW program at home last week. Although Mother's day was a bust yesterday I've lost 4 lbs. the first week. I have purchased a stationery bike, weights, a work out bench and stretch bands. All of the foregoing sounds like I'm very motivated....right?? NOT, I can't seem to get a daily routine of exercise going. I have many excuses like yard work, cleaning, errands and always put off the workout program I should be doing. I've had injuries over the past two years but I can walk again and can start building up my strength and endurance. I've looked at the Spark site and will probably do some reading there. I have all the necessary things to get started including print outs of exercises for stretching, weights, yoga. DANG....I don't know why or understand why I do all this planning and mental exercise but don't get off my butt to do it. I'll try to start tomorrow.....again. Thanks for listening if anyone is out there.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
The real reason people who carry yoga mats always look thin | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

Old 08-05-2009, 05:17 PM

36 posts, read 91,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
I started on Nutri System on 1/14/09 and it is now 3/13/09. I have lost about 12 pounds maybe a little bit more as I haven't weighed myself this week yet. I am very consistent with my work out at Curves. I go at least 4 times a week. I have lost inches as well as weight. I feel better about myself, and am actually going to look for a bathing suit...black of course....for our trip to the shore.
12 lbs in 2 months! Wow! It's good to see that Nutri System is working for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss