Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 02:44 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times

Advertisements

well I have been doing low carb for along time. At first it worked great, I mean hit goal in no time. Then I broke my back and went off of it due to not being able to walk and in a brace for 8 months. Then I put on 20 lbs, and now back on low carb , exercising, back is good, but this time the low carb is just not working!!! I mean its like for one /two months nothing. So I am now going to calorie counting 1200-around and eating carbs!!! I mean carbs like oatmeal and good carbs but not this low carb type diet (under 35 grams a day) . Anyone ever have this problem second time around not working???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
I don't bother with complicated diets. I lose weight and burn fat through brute force workout on long distance bikes rides, and my metabolism is awesome / I can eat anything and not gain fat as long as I don't overeat!

Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well I have been doing low carb for along time. At first it worked great, I mean hit goal in no time. Then I broke my back and went off of it due to not being able to walk and in a brace for 8 months. Then I put on 20 lbs, and now back on low carb , exercising, back is good, but this time the low carb is just not working!!! I mean its like for one /two months nothing. So I am now going to calorie counting 1200-around and eating carbs!!! I mean carbs like oatmeal and good carbs but not this low carb type diet (under 35 grams a day) . Anyone ever have this problem second time around not working???
Oatmeal is not a good carb in my opinion because like other grain based products its spikes insulin. The only carbs that are neccessary (assuming your not an endurance athlete) are from fruits/veggies. I eat my fruits (mostly low GI fruits like berries) in the morning with protein/fat to slow the absorption of the sugars. Then later in the day I eat my non-strachy veggies with either protein or fat. I have felt better then ever eating this way.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:29 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,369 times
I've lost a lot of weight by eliminating ALL the EVIL carbs....it doesn't have to be complicated - I just don't eat anything that's white (rice, pasta, potatoes, corn, white flour products). I fill up on GOOD carbs (greens, legumes, etc) and protein (both food and supplements). Worked for me....now I'm off all my diabetic meds and blood pressure meds, lab work is perfect.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:39 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
I've lost a lot of weight by eliminating ALL the EVIL carbs....it doesn't have to be complicated - I just don't eat anything that's white (rice, pasta, potatoes, corn, white flour products). I fill up on GOOD carbs (greens, legumes, etc) and protein (both food and supplements). Worked for me....now I'm off all my diabetic meds and blood pressure meds, lab work is perfect.
Do you get headaches?

Everytime I try to go without eating carbs, I get headaches on day 3 or 4.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,369 times
I don't remember any headaches at all....I began feeling so much better after I began eating that way it was wonderful.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
yes. it was explained to me by the doctor bek of my age sensible eating no longer works.
i had to do kaiser semi fast, 3 cans of slim fast and a modest meal 1 time a day.
it worked. 1 to 3 lbs a week. i kept it off with the sensible eating program 3 tiny tiny or 2 meals, its non stop dieting for me, slow starvation but it works.
my athletic activities are still doable for me, i compete with teenagers.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
Thanks, but the point I was making is low carb is just not working this time around. I have been doing it for about 3 years or maybe more! I find myself binging at the end of the day on potato chips and cookies. So now I switched up and added barley, legumes of course veggies and popcorn a hand full and can do alot better and avoid the chips and cookies. I just cant keep eating meat , veggies, meat, eggs, cheese, veggies. I mean it was setting me up this time to binge! Now I feel alittle more balanced. No binging at night!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,298 times
Oatmeal is good for you but not the instant stuff. If you get 5 min Oatmeal it makes the body work faster and hard to process so you eliminate most of it. Oatmeal is like whole wheat. I don't understand why people think oatmeal is bad for you. It's really not.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:23 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I never could stick to a truly low-carb food plan. My aim is to eat 50g or less most days, but still feel OK as long as I eat more grams of protein than grams of carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss