Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,259 times

Advertisements

Just to update everyone on my progress counting calories:
I have been counting calories since Feb 5th. I haven't been perfect, but I have lost 6 lbs or so. I started using a website called sparkpeople to track my calories. In addition to the calorie tracker, it has message boards & a lot of other features I like - such as groups you can join (right now I'm in a Single Parents group and part of a challenge to lose 15 lbs by March 31st). So I'm going to try that for a while and see how it goes.

I still like WW a lot, but I like sparkpeople better. Not only am I keeping track of calories, but I am also keeping track of fat, sodium, protein, etc. I took a nutrition class a few years ago so I like being aware of all the nutrients I am getting. It motivates me to eat healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I was also doing the flex plan. The extra 35 points are points for the week. They would rather you didn't save them all up for the weekend, but they don't totally discourage it either. You do not have to use them at all. Strictly up to you and the rate you want to lose. I found that I usually used them on the weekends. My weigh-in day was Friday, which worked great for me.

But...if you are doing an old plan and they don't have the extra points then you probably have more points in your daily totals. You may want to check out their website, they have good forums there too. Very helpful, especially with lo-point recipes and ways to feel full.

You are obviously doing this on your own? As opposed to a meeting or joining on the web, right? Just wondering, I have tried that many times and it just doesn't work as well for me. For some reason, I find that I do better when I have to be held accountable for my weekly actions.
Thank you for the info.
Yes, I am doing the WW points on my own- I bought the WW points at home kit some years back and I still had/have the points calculator from it ( I had lost the two food books from it) so I went and bought the two ww point food books again from a local ww location around 2 years ago. My point range is 18-23 points for the day.

How can you still lose weight on the flex plan when you can also use the extra given 35 points a week if you chose along with your daily 20 point allowance? How does that work? So if you were to use all of your extra 35 points a week/ your daily 20 point allowance you can still lose 2 lbs a week? Or if you use your 20 points a day and then only use maybe 10 or 15 of your extra 35 points a week you might not lose 2 lbs a week or you might lose more than 2 lbs? Sorry I'm asking so many questions.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
It sounds like you are using a much older WW version. I think it was called Winning Points. Your range is 18-23 points.

The newer plan is the flex plan, where you get 20 daily target points, plus 35 weekly points. The 35 weekly points can be used on whatever day(s) you want.
Either plan works, but you would get a few more total points with the flex plan.

WW comes up with a new plan about every year, but it really doesn't change much from year to year.
Thank you also for the info.
Yes, I am doing a WW points plan from a few years back.
I dont quite understand how the WW flex plan can work vs the WW points plan I am doing from some years back. Do they say you can still lose 2 lbs a week average from doing the flex plan even though you are given 35 extra points a week from that plan to use if you choose to? I would imagine you wouldnt want to use all your additional 35 points one week and then only use your 20 daily points a day the next week? If you were to exercise that would give you even more additional points for that day or week?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Thank you also for the info.
Yes, I am doing a WW points plan from a few years back.
I dont quite understand how the WW flex plan can work vs the WW points plan I am doing from some years back. Do they say you can still lose 2 lbs a week average from doing the flex plan even though you are given 35 extra points a week from that plan to use if you choose to? I would imagine you wouldnt want to use all your additional 35 points one week and then only use your 20 daily points a day the next week? If you were to exercise that would give you even more additional points for that day or week?
Yes that's how it works. 20 points per day, plus 35 weekly points. 35 sounds like a lot, but it really only averages to 5 additional points per day. So you are eating 25 average points per day. That's only 2 more than your current plan. But if you are doing okay with only 18-23 points, then by all means you could continue using the program you know.

I just think it's too hard for me to stick to WW b/c I don't feel like I'm eating enough. 25 points per day is only about 1200 - 1400 calories (depending on what type of foods you eat), which IMO is too little for me.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Yes that's how it works. 20 points per day, plus 35 weekly points. 35 sounds like a lot, but it really only averages to 5 additional points per day. So you are eating 25 average points per day. That's only 2 more than your current plan. But if you are doing okay with only 18-23 points, then by all means you could continue using the program you know.

I just think it's too hard for me to stick to WW b/c I don't feel like I'm eating enough. 25 points per day is only about 1200 - 1400 calories (depending on what type of foods you eat), which IMO is too little for me.
Thank you so much.
Doing WW points since I started hasnt been easy. But atleast for now- with the way my job is its the best way for me to try to lose this 15- 20 lbs. I have been hungry still at times but I also think losing weight/ changing your eating way isnt the easiest thing for anyone. You have to be determined to do it and follow through. I'm hoping to continue doing it this way atleast until I can find a different job at that point I may just count calories instead.
Congrats to you on losing 6 lbs already Way to go

Old 02-28-2009, 12:16 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
There were weeks I lost more and some I lost less. Depends on what you eat and when and also depends on other outside factors such as your cycle and such.

I averaged about a pound a week in the end. 10 weeks, I lost that many lbs. I would have enjoyed losing faster, but I didn't want to starve myself. Frankly, for me, I ate better and was more full than when I don't diet. That is because I make stupid food choices such as candy and junk, which is not necessarily filling, just momentarily satisfying. Then I would skip meals.

I do need to restart, because I let myself go a bit. But, I will say this food plan is the best for feeling good, looking well and for keeping it off, even if you slip up a bit.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
need to lose 4 lbs. i am not on weight watchers but kaiser has got me on some good programs. the sensible eating plan was not working. extremely low metabolism. doctor just told me instead to eat small frequent meals and exercise more, 45 minutes walking in addition to other stuff i do which you would not believe how much if i told you.
im on it.
i have noticed more irritability but much more stamina.

haiku to dieting by bunky

the fat die young helpless and happy
the fit are victorious, empowered and often mean.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone else is doing weight watchers to lose weight.
I want to lose 15-20 pounds. I started doing weight watchers points on monday I've been doing good staying on points although today I have been/am feeling like I want to eat some extra food I did have an extra two points today over my limit but I havent done that any other days this week.
Just would be nice to talk to some other people here that are also on weight watchers.
I used the WW plan to get back to a healthy weight a few years ago. Back then it was the point system, and I found it to be very livable plan. It teaches you much about healthy eating, and that is the most important thing in order to maintain your weight and remain healthy for life.

I never actually joined the program (I'm not a group-hug kind of person so I hated the idea of "meetings") but I am a very disciplined person, so I bought the books off of eBay, and learned the program that way. I lost 60 pounds over the course of 2 years (most of that was in the first year) and have never gained anything back in 5 years. I learned to love SO many new foods - I think besides the weight loss, that was the best thing about it. I was never much of an adventuresome eater, and that was part of my problem.

I think WW is the very best weight-loss plan in existence. I highly recommend it.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I have done weight watchers before. I always felt like I was starving! I was only eating about 1100 - 1300 calories a day on Weight Watchers (that's assuming around 25 points per day - which would be 20 daily target points plus 5 of the 35 weekly points). IMO that's way too little and I had a very difficult time sticking to it without going over. And exercising to earn more points was a joke. You have to burn about 100 calories to get 1 extra point to eat (which averages out to only about 60 calories). Exercising always made me feel even hungrier! I would get so hungry that I would be lightheaded and dizzy and get a headache.

I do think it's a good program, and it helped me lose about 20 pounds very quickly after having my 3rd child. But I always ate about 3 - 5 points above my points, and still felt super hungry! I did keep the weight off for several years, but I gained some back b/c now I'm a teacher & I haved gained 5 lbs each summer for the past 3 summers.

Right now I am counting calories instead (I have gained some weight back). I feel much more satisfied b/c I am allowing myself around 1500 - 1700 calories per day. I just started though, so I'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll lose more slowly than when I did WW.
You know, everyone's body is a bit different. The point ranges do work up to a certain level, but they won't cause everyone to lose exactly the same amount of weight each week. I did WW points when I was losing, and I wound up at the bottom of the very lowest range (which converts to about 900 cal a day) and I never had a problem with that. To this day, my maintenance range is around 1200 cal a day, and that is WITH me going to the gym about 5-6 times a week (and my workouts are intense). This has been my routine for about 6 years now, so I know what works for me. So you have to find what works for you, and stick with it. Everyone is different.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 PM

335 posts, read 1,181,171 times
Just checking to get any updates. week 3 back on weight watchers. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss