Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM

102 posts, read 413,680 times

Advertisements

I do see this forum is alot about Weight Loss...but still I have a Q? about diet..and in particular WEIGHT GAIN. Can some of you suggest High Calorie, High Protein diets. ?
My 15 yr old plays serious Basketball (High School) and works out heavily.
He also eats like an ape and just can't seem to gain any weight ! (which he deperately needs~)
He is 6'5" ~ and still growing. 165lbs. for a year!
Yes he can jam, but he's pushed around by the heavier trees under the rim.
We are watching and upping his caloric intake, but any advice on pounding on the LBS would be appreciated.
Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
He may not have the hormone levels to bulk yet. Don't worry about it. He can talk to his coach about lifting and that would help with bone health and show if he can bulk. Do not put a kid on a high protein diet. Protein doesn't make you gain weight. Excess calories do. High protein can be hard on the kidneys and bones and he will pay for it later in life.Teach him to eat real wholesome food. Not mixes. Also excessive protein can actually be counter productive and take away potassium which is essential for muscle building and heart health. High protein can make one dehydrated too and thats dangerous if he plays ball.

Calorie calculator for teens:
Calorie Calculator - How many calories do you need each day?

"Age: 14-18 years old

Activity Level: Active

Estimated Calorie Requirements: 2,800-3,200 kilocalories per day"

Conventional calorie counter have his stats at about 3000 per day if he is very active.

You only want to try to gain 1-2 lbs a week when putting on weight. Too much too fast just turns into fat no matter what you age is.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
My sons are also athletes. my older son who is now 20, bulked up during high school by doing the football weightlifting program. He started out as a 6'1 freshman about 145 lbs. when he was a senior, he was 6'4" about 220. I just fed him really good, but I think it was the good weightlifting program. You can also check into a protein supplement called musclemilk. He was using some of it last summer while weightlifting for college football. they have one that is for teens. he bought it at the healthclub he was going to(it was a hospital health club, so I think the stuff was healthy for you). hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM

No, not really safe..They are not really any long term studies on it anyway especially with children.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
His body may not be ready to start growing out yet.

I was very lanky until after I turned 17. I ate truly massive, heroic portions at every meal and spent about 30 hours/week in the gym but it just didn't matter; my body burned through it all. Sometime around my 17th birthday something clicked and building muscle and putting on weight started getting a little easier.

Between 14 and 17 I grew about 4" and put on about 35 lbs, but my appearance didn't change much in terms of physique. Between my 17th birthday and high school graduation I grew about 1/4" and put on about 40 lbs. The difference was dramatic. I didn't alter my routine as far as workouts or eating, my body just quit growing up and started growing out.

Until your son is ready to start growing out he will not be able to in a healthy way. He just needs to stay active, keep training hard, keep eating right and nature will eventually kick in.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:48 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,043 times
Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night and eat pizza, bowl of cereal or peanut butter & banana sandwich, it makes me gain weight.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
High protein can be hard on the kidneys and bones and he will pay for it later in life.
False. The claim that high-protein diets are bad for the kidneys is based on studies done on people with pre-existing kidney problems. More recent studies performed on healthy athletes following high-protein diets showed no impact on kidney function. As long as you don't have any pre-existing kidney issues, you shouldn't be afraid to take in more protein. As for the second claim, this is based on the theory that high protein intake raises blood acidity and the body leaches minerals from bone to bring the acidity back down. If high protein intake really lead to bone problems, then how come athletes who take in more protein have stronger bones than average people and how come older athletes haven't developer osteoporosis? The bottom line is that you claims about high protein intake have been debunked and as long as you balance the higher protein intake with more water and fibrous foods, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. And while you need more calories to grow, you also need to give your body the proper materials. You can't gain muscle eating more carbs. That'll just lead to fat gain. Without adequate protein, you won't add muscle.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Best advice is to have him take a weight training class in school. All high schools have this program. Have you talked with his basketball coaches to see what they recommend? I suggest doing this first because at 15 years old I think he's too young to go on a protein heavy diet.

When Akeem Olajuwan first got to University of Houston, he was 6'10" and 185-190lbs. His coaches put him on a steak, spinach and ice cream diet and he bulked up significantly. Not the healthiest really, but all those calories combined with the strength training program really helped.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
False. The claim that high-protein diets are bad for the kidneys is based on studies done on people with pre-existing kidney problems. More recent studies performed on healthy athletes following high-protein diets showed no impact on kidney function. As long as you don't have any pre-existing kidney issues, you shouldn't be afraid to take in more protein. As for the second claim, this is based on the theory that high protein intake raises blood acidity and the body leaches minerals from bone to bring the acidity back down. If high protein intake really lead to bone problems, then how come athletes who take in more protein have stronger bones than average people and how come older athletes haven't developer osteoporosis? The bottom line is that you claims about high protein intake have been debunked and as long as you balance the higher protein intake with more water and fibrous foods, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. And while you need more calories to grow, you also need to give your body the proper materials. You can't gain muscle eating more carbs. That'll just lead to fat gain. Without adequate protein, you won't add muscle.
Kidney disease is silent in the early phases and can strike at any age.
Any extreme changes in diet should be gone over with a doctor The diet study was done on ADULTS. Not children. Professional athletes do tons of strength training (thickens bones) and have doctors care around the clock if they need when training. This kid wont.

I agree you wont add muscle without adequate protein levels but the western diet is far from lacking in that. Any excess calories protein or carbs will put on weight. Weight training and hormones makes it muscle.

How can I tell if I'm eating too much protein? - Teen Growth
"So eating excessive protein cannot give you more muscle for instance. Excess protein will be burned for energy or converted to fat if not needed for energy. Taking in too much protein can also put an extra burden on your kidneys, which have to excrete some of the excess protein."

Learning About Proteins
"How Much Is Enough?
You can figure out how much protein you need if you know how much you weigh. Each day, kids need to eat about 0.5 grams of protein for every pound (0.5 kilograms) they weigh. That's a gram for every 2 pounds (1 kilogram) you weigh. Your protein needs will grow as you get bigger, but then they will level off when you reach adult size. Adults, for instance, need about 60 grams per day."

Besides...a little fat on a 6'5'' 165 boy is not going to really matter. You are acting like a balanced diet is going to turn him obese!

To OP:

Check out "spark people" (google it) for him. They have a total dietary guideline and can help him have exercises to share in discussion with the coach about what he would think would be best. It is one of those free diet and exercise websites that has a "living healthy" option.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigBear View Post
I do see this forum is alot about Weight Loss...but still I have a Q? about diet..and in particular WEIGHT GAIN. Can some of you suggest High Calorie, High Protein diets. ?
My 15 yr old plays serious Basketball (High School) and works out heavily.
He also eats like an ape and just can't seem to gain any weight ! (which he deperately needs~)
He is 6'5" ~ and still growing. 165lbs. for a year!
Yes he can jam, but he's pushed around by the heavier trees under the rim.
We are watching and upping his caloric intake, but any advice on pounding on the LBS would be appreciated.
Thanks~
At 6foot 5 and 15 years old he won't bulk up much until he gets around 20 ish. I can relate as i was 6'3'' at 17 and 140 lbs when i joined the Navy and i ate a ton of food in those early years but what helped was i started to drink tons of full fat milk with lots of bananas and mixed it with ''Gainers Fuel'' by Twin Labs (GNC) which is a high carbohydrate and protein powder made for skinny guys and also i finally joined a gym and after a year working out along with my Gainer's Fuel mixture i finally started to gain weight and muscle.

Hope that helps for him .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss