Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,671,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am one of those people who is hungry almost all the time. Although, first thing in the morning the *last* think I want to even think about is food, starting around 1 pm I start getting hungry and stay hungry pretty much until I go to bed at night.
You are waiting too long to eat. This is why a good breakfast is so important. Oatmeal (plain instant OK) and a chicken sausage would be a good start. A salad or a bowl of vegetable soup for lunch. An apple, handful of nuts, or a yogurt for mid-afternoon snack. Fish or chicken and veggies for dinner. Sweet strawberries for dessert.

Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and walk briskly at least 30 minutes every day. Take a good multi-vitamin daily, and be sure to get 8 hours sleep at night.

To me it just sounds like you are starting your day badly and it has put you out of whack for the rest of the day. I can't start my day without oatmeal which helps to regulate your blood sugar, especially important if anyone is diabetic. And protein really perks me up in the morning. I also eat a large juicy apple at some point every day and it really fills me up.

Try a variation of the above for two weeks and see if you feel better. Come back and let me know if it made a difference. It has for me. Making time for yourself is so important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 AM

37,801 posts, read 46,315,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
You are waiting too long to eat. This is why a good breakfast is so important. Oatmeal (plain instant OK) and a chicken sausage would be a good start. A salad or a bowl of vegetable soup for lunch. An apple, handful of nuts, or a yogurt for mid-afternoon snack. Fish or chicken and veggies for dinner. Sweet strawberries for dessert.

Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and walk briskly at least 30 minutes every day. Take a good multi-vitamin daily, and be sure to get 8 hours sleep at night.

To me it just sounds like you are starting your day badly and it has put you out of whack for the rest of the day. I can't start my day without oatmeal which helps to regulate your blood sugar, especially important if anyone is diabetic. And protein really perks me up in the morning. I also eat a large juicy apple at some point every day and it really fills me up.

Try a variation of the above for two weeks and see if you feel better. Come back and let me know if it made a difference. It has for me. Making time for yourself is so important.

I second the oatmeal. For those who have never eaten it, you may think it tastes awful, but it is yummy! I used to only eat the packaged flavored stuff (which I admit is delicious!) but I have recently discovered steel-cut oatmeal, and I highly recommend it!! I eat either that, or eggbeaters, every morning of my life.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,083,506 times
OK I would like to revive this thread please...I am determined to start getting this weight off once and for all, saw a nutritionist last week and she gave me the plan...6-8 servings of carbs, 4-5 protein, lots of fruit and veg, the usual pyramid diet...and I agree with it...BUT just looking at the sample meal plan I know I'm going to be hungry all the time. And that is always my downfall...so I am looking for tips and tricks other than 'drink a lot of water' to feel full...what has worked for you? Someone told me to take a Fibercon before each meal, anyone ever try that?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,421,327 times
Another poster is right; dehydration can feel like hunger. Drink a glass of water when you're hungry, wait 15 minutes or so, and if you're hungry then go ahead and eat something.

If you are hungry all the time try increasing your intake of soluble fiber and protein. If that doesn't work, see a doctor. You may have type 2 diabetes (or some other metabolic disorder) or they may simply refer you to a dietitian who can help you design an eating plan that will minimize or eliminate hunger. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,423,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Drink water when you are hungry, The human body often confuses dehydration for hungry.

Yes, this.

And have you considered forcing yourself to have a little breakfast, even though you don't want it? Maybe your stomach doesn't want to think about food right away because it's still busy digesting the fatty junk you had an hour before you hit the sack. lol

Just a theory. You should stop eating about 3 hours before bedtime.

You can buy those pre-packaged oatmeals where you just add water, 3/4- 1 cup of bran cereal with skim... something small.

Maybe you won't find yourself so ravenous later.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:51 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,586,114 times
Dehydration can definitely feel like hunger. Also as you go on it gets easier eating less - really [at 56 lbs lost with about 70 to go] --- now I cant even IMAGINE eating 2000 calories in a day.

My adjustment from 1400 to 1250 was very tough but now 1250 is "comfortable" even with about an hour a day of excercise.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM

90 posts, read 322,781 times
Check out HungryGirl.com for recipes and tips.

I think one of the keys to staying full is eating a lot of fiber - especially from vegetables.

There are also a lot of great options out there with very low calories such as Shirataki noodles, high-fiber tortillas, high-fiber bread, low-calorie and reduced fat cheese, etc. that can help you stay full.

Before you know it, your appetite will shrink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss