Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 PM

436 posts, read 1,524,931 times

Advertisements

Ok. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I didn't find anywhere else that it might fit.

I am 33 and have always been skinny. I've never weighed over 90 lbs.(except when pregnant).

I don't mind the idea of putting on some weight but my problem is that recently any weight I've been getting is collecting in the hip/thigh area (like a pear shape).

What exercises can I do to get rid of that? I belong to a gym but don't get out there very often. When I do go, I usually just do the treadmill(walking) or the elliptical(sp?). I am very out of shape.

I don't eat healthy by any means. I usually eat frozen pizza, chips and soda for lunch every day when at work. On weekends we usually go out to eat.

I would like to have a lifestyle change as I know this unhealthy lifestyle will eventually catch up with me. I just don't know where to start. Any help will be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:12 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,857,997 times
There isn't one perfect exercise to reduce your problem areas but the closest thing to it is walking. I'm not a small woman but I am pretty well proportioned and my hips are even small for my size. I attribute this to my years of walking and I especially like that I don't have saddlebags hanging on my hips. You must also know that your eating habits are appalling. After seeing what you eat every day for lunch, that would be a good place to start. Switch to a turkey sandwich on whole grain wheat bread and load it up with lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts etc. to add bulk and make it more filling. Use mustard or a very light mayo, have a piece of fruit and drink either water or iced tea. Once you get the hang of lunch then do a makeover on your breakfast and dinner. You don't seem to have much weight to lose but you do need to really ramp up your nutrition across the board, cut the fat, sodium and sugar, and shop the perimeter of your grocery store. There is nothing good about "processed" and it sounds like that's what you are eating almost exclusively. It won't be easy to change habits of a lifetime but you should be able to see some real results with some of these suggestions.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 PM

37,707 posts, read 46,130,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Ok. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I didn't find anywhere else that it might fit.

I am 33 and have always been skinny. I've never weighed over 90 lbs.(except when pregnant).

I don't mind the idea of putting on some weight but my problem is that recently any weight I've been getting is collecting in the hip/thigh area (like a pear shape).

What exercises can I do to get rid of that? I belong to a gym but don't get out there very often. When I do go, I usually just do the treadmill(walking) or the elliptical(sp?). I am very out of shape.

I don't eat healthy by any means. I usually eat frozen pizza, chips and soda for lunch every day when at work. On weekends we usually go out to eat.

I would like to have a lifestyle change as I know this unhealthy lifestyle will eventually catch up with me. I just don't know where to start. Any help will be appreciated
Genetics controls where our fat is stored....it's different for each individual. To burn fat, you need to expend more calories than you consume. Eat less (healthier - stop the junk food!!) and start exercising. High intensity cardio is your best best for burning the most calories. And stay out of the restaurants until you learn how to eat healthy.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,201,625 times
Sorry but our "shape" is not something that goes away.. you can minimize the "size" though by eating healthy and excerciseing. You have to start there! No matter what.. that is the first spot.

Eating healthy means - no pizza, no soda, no chips, etc.... (or cut BACK) - don't go out to eat until you can get a plan together.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,957,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
There isn't one perfect exercise to reduce your problem areas but the closest thing to it is walking.

Agreed.

I go to the gym and keep in shape by switching back and forth between using the treadmill for a week, followed by using an elliptical machine for a week. Switiching back and forth has kept my body "guessing", and it keeps the weight off in the lower body well.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:14 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,043 times
How tall are you? 90 lbs @ 33! Have you seen a doctor? I would think this would be more concerning than the "weight" your collecting in your hip/thigh area and would probably be more beneficial when trying to help you control your weight.

Quote:

Old 04-11-2009, 06:03 PM

436 posts, read 1,524,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
How tall are you? 90 lbs @ 33! Have you seen a doctor? I would think this would be more concerning than the "weight" your collecting in your hip/thigh area and would probably be more beneficial when trying to help you control your weight.
I am 5'2". Yes my doctor is always asking me if I am eating. I am, and have always been, a very picky eater. I don't eat meat, but not a lot of vegetables either so I don't want to say I'm a vegetarian.

Most of what I eat is based on convenience. I do eat a healthy cereal(Great Grains) and juice every day for breakfast and I make sure I have a salad every night with dinner. Honestly, that's probably the healthiest stuff I eat. I used to drink a lot of soda, but I have cut down on that.

I am trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle, but it is hard to change habits.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,043 times
Gotcha!

Quote:
I am 5'2". Yes my doctor is always asking me if I am eating. I am, and have always been, a very picky eater. I don't eat meat, but not a lot of vegetables either so I don't want to say I'm a vegetarian.

Most of what I eat is based on convenience. I do eat a healthy cereal(Great Grains) and juice every day for breakfast and I make sure I have a salad every night with dinner. Honestly, that's probably the healthiest stuff I eat. I used to drink a lot of soda, but I have cut down on that.

I am trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle, but it is hard to change habits.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss