Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 PM

791 posts, read 2,960,648 times

Advertisements

I am looking for tips from people that have overcome the self defieting behavior of stuffing their face even though they desperately want to lose weight.

I myself seem to eat healthy, exercise consistently, lose a few pounds then it's like a light switch goes off in my brain and I think I can have one "cheat"day and of course that day turns into weeks. I then usually add a few more pounds on and feel worse about myself than ever before.

I have read many books that address the mental issues of weight and logically I understand the instruction they give but then I still get caught up in the black and white thinking. If I'm going to be "bad" I'm going to eat everything I can think of and make sure I do no exercise. If I'm being "good" I eat nothing crappy and stick to my exercise routine, unfortunately there is no middle ground.
I sometimes think, why is it so hard for me to change something that only I have control of
I actually thought that focusing on my health and not my looks would make it easier, oh no that didn't work either.

Sorry to go on and on, but I know there must be others that have been where I am and have found their way out.

Like I said I have read many books, but if you have a suggestion of one that changed your life I would love to hear what it is.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,875,053 times
It is indeed hard to stick to a healthy lifestyle. For me, it took nearly dying to fully recognize the absolute neccessity of "sticking to it". I hope you can come to the same conclusion without the anxiety, drama and fear.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I am looking for tips from people that have overcome the self defieting behavior of stuffing their face even though they desperately want to lose weight.

I myself seem to eat healthy, exercise consistently, lose a few pounds then it's like a light switch goes off in my brain and I think I can have one "cheat"day and of course that day turns into weeks. I then usually add a few more pounds on and feel worse about myself than ever before.

I have read many books that address the mental issues of weight and logically I understand the instruction they give but then I still get caught up in the black and white thinking. If I'm going to be "bad" I'm going to eat everything I can think of and make sure I do no exercise. If I'm being "good" I eat nothing crappy and stick to my exercise routine, unfortunately there is no middle ground.
I sometimes think, why is it so hard for me to change something that only I have control of
I actually thought that focusing on my health and not my looks would make it easier, oh no that didn't work either.

Sorry to go on and on, but I know there must be others that have been where I am and have found their way out.

Like I said I have read many books, but if you have a suggestion of one that changed your life I would love to hear what it is.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
My grandmother told my mother that any food is great food only till it passes the last part of tongue.

My mother passed it on to me. She didn't even think about how I would devise a new technique. This is will probably freak out both these ladies.

I love chips, chocolates and every fatty food crap on the planet.

So I take them to the bathroom, take them as much as I want, chew it, enjoy and gratify the taste buds and when they become paste-like, I spit them out and flush them down the drain, LOL. There's still a slight amount which manages to get past the tongue, since it's mixed with liquid, but that's alright.

I gave this tip to several of my friends/colleagues and they treat that as an instant hit.

Now, I'm not asking you to waste food, regularly. When frustrated, this helps a ton

This way, you don't feel betrayed away from good food.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 28,906 times
i think we all procrastinate to some extent and dieting is not exempt. Just have to try your best to remind yourself that you need to stay healthy.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM

28 posts, read 47,343 times
I think I understand where you are coming from, and it sounds like you're addicted. Why else would you be going back to eating nasty foods? It's probably sugar if not some other food additive that is not natural.

Simply put your body is expecting NATURAL foods like lean meat, nuts, fruits, veggies...not refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artifical sweetners, soda, fast food, etc. The problem is that you've probably been eating the wrong types of food for so long that your body is addicted to them now.

ALSO, if you aren't getting enough of a certain type of nutrient you will feel hungry REGUARDLESS of how many calories you eat. For example, you can shove down 3 cheeseburgers but you will probably be hungry shortly thereafter because your body needs some calcium, vitamin A, (insert nutrient here) that you didn't get from the cheeseburgers.

I'd like to help you out, tell me what exactly you eat on a daily basis(including condiments) and I'll let you know to the best of my ability how good or bad for you it is.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,684,549 times
I guess for me, its alot of willpower and stubborness. lol..
I see it, smell it, but tell myself thats very bad, and turn and walk away!

Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 AM

23 posts, read 109,475 times
Baby steps. Try food choice improvement first(general nutrition).
If you diet makes you cheat..its not a good diet for you. A healthy balanced high fiber diet will leave you stuffed and not seeking temptation. Focus on food knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss