Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:22 AM

199 posts, read 652,996 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
I am a 134lbs and need to go back to my original 120 lbs, I'm 5'2"... I had gone back to my pre-pregnancy weight after I gave birth and put it back on??!!?? I am training for a marathon right now and am on a high carb diet for it...help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:09 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Why exactly do you "need to go back to 120 lbs"? If you're training for your marathon, shouldnt you be more concerned with your performance than with your weight? I've never seen anyone who is in training for a race (marathon, half marathon, 10k, 5k, etc.) place greater emphasis on their weight (and weight loss) than their performance in the event.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM

My marathon is very different from my weight loss....besides I'm already training for my performance... why does my marathon "performance" matter to you?

The only reason it was mentioned is to emphasize that I need to eat carbs.... and can't cut it ouf of my diet.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
My marathon is very different from my weight loss....besides I'm already training for my performance... why does my marathon "performance" matter to you?

The only reason it was mentioned is to emphasize that I need to eat carbs.... and can't cut it ouf of my diet.
Whoa!! Calm down there cowgirl. Your marathon must matter or else you would not have mentioned it right? Also, any responsible trainer who values themselves on giving accurate, useful and proper advice would ask for a bit of clarification before giving you a recommendation for you want you want. Thats what I was trying to do. Oftentimes, people mistakenly say they "NEED" to do something when, really, after cutting down to brass tacks, what they really mean, is that they "WANT" to do something.

When I talk of your marathon "performance", I am referring to what ALL athletes mean by performance - finishing the race, and doing so in a specified time, and being competitive (i.e., having a desired goal to win or finish within a certain amount of time). Nothing more. More often than not, especially with distance runners, the most important factor is training specifically to complete the race and not for a certain weight. I ask why you say you NEED to lose the weight because this is counter to what almost everyone who is in training for a marathon will do. Training to lose weight could be very harmful to you when racing. Usually, the weight will drop off with proper diet and diligent training (especially for a marathon).

My suggestion, primarily for safety reasons is to hold off purposefully trying to lose weight until after your marathon. Right now, I say your initial goal is to adequately train and follow a nutrition plan that is sufficient for a marathon runner and not worry about weight loss right now. A byproduct of your training should allow for you to reach the desired weight for your race. If after you still want to lose the weight, come back, give us an idea of your average daily diet, your normal exercise routine, then Id be happy to help you. Right now, just think it would be irresponsible for anyone to recommend a specific weight loss plan for you while you are in training.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 06-22-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 02:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
1.diet high carb high protein and diet is the most inportant
2. weight training having muscle mass helps burn up fat stores
3. cardio

Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
Try a product called Tren-250. Be carefull though...this stuff is SERIOUS stuff and the closest thing you can get to illegal anabolics. the FDA will soon ban it I'm sure

Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Whoa!! Calm down there cowgirl. Your marathon must matter or else you would not have mentioned it right? Also, any responsible trainer who values themselves on giving accurate, useful and proper advice would ask for a bit of clarification before giving you a recommendation for you want you want. Thats what I was trying to do. Oftentimes, people mistakenly say they "NEED" to do something when, really, after cutting down to brass tacks, what they really mean, is that they "WANT" to do something.

When I talk of your marathon "performance", I am referring to what ALL athletes mean by performance - finishing the race, and doing so in a specified time, and being competitive (i.e., having a desired goal to win or finish within a certain amount of time). Nothing more. More often than not, especially with distance runners, the most important factor is training specifically to complete the race and not for a certain weight. I ask why you say you NEED to lose the weight because this is counter to what almost everyone who is in training for a marathon will do. Training to lose weight could be very harmful to you when racing. Usually, the weight will drop off with proper diet and diligent training (especially for a marathon).

My suggestion, primarily for safety reasons is to hold off purposefully trying to lose weight until after your marathon. Right now, I say your initial goal is to adequately train and follow a nutrition plan that is sufficient for a marathon runner and not worry about weight loss right now. A byproduct of your training should allow for you to reach the desired weight for your race. If after you still want to lose the weight, come back, give us an idea of your average daily diet, your normal exercise routine, then Id be happy to help you. Right now, just think it would be irresponsible for anyone to recommend a specific weight loss plan for you while you are in training.

ha ha ha Sorry I did kind of loose it didn't I? YOu are right about dieting right now, I just feel My nutrion is all-round wrong which is why thsi is happening... I don't want to quit carbs (now or ever) but I think a cream cheese bagel is not teh best way to go.... but I just feel hungry ALL teh time!!!! which is bothering me... I eat a good breakfast b4 the run and after but I shdn't be hungry the whole day(week) shd I?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Try a product called Tren-250. Be carefull though...this stuff is SERIOUS stuff and the closest thing you can get to illegal anabolics. the FDA will soon ban it I'm sure
Wow.. I am sure you have my best interest at heart but I try not to have things like that..why mess with mother nature? If you are on it as well, please re-consider.....

Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 AM

42 posts, read 153,644 times
Since you are getting plenty of exercise with the training, eating high carbs and still hungry it may be you need to increase your protein and add some healthy fats into your diet. Protein, fat & fiber really make a difference in satiety.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie05 View Post
ha ha ha Sorry I did kind of loose it didn't I? YOu are right about dieting right now, I just feel My nutrion is all-round wrong which is why thsi is happening... I don't want to quit carbs (now or ever) but I think a cream cheese bagel is not teh best way to go.... but I just feel hungry ALL teh time!!!! which is bothering me... I eat a good breakfast b4 the run and after but I shdn't be hungry the whole day(week) shd I?
I was in the same boat as you, training for a marathon, same weight and height.

What I found is I was STARVING, and eating a lot of carbs, not a lot of healthy food. I stopped doing this, and started eating more veggies and fruit for snacks and dropped five pounds. I also started to lift a lot more weights and cross-train, this helped tremedously, both for preformance and weight loss. Down to 120 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss