Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Last night watched a tv show (Dateline) where they showed old footage of the Woodstock Festival in New York in 1969 and talked to a few people who had been there. This Dateline show was also advertising a new movie coming out about the Festival and that the Festival this year is 40 years old. Anyway, the ladies that Dateline talked to were as "plump" (or heavier) as my wife is now at 30 lbs overweight. Wife and I are from that Generation being that we are 60/61 years old. Thing is, I have photos of my wife back then and she, as these ladies were then......fairly thin! Actually, not only the ladies that attended Woodstock, but also the female singers that performed there and elsewhere are now fairly heavy today. Grace Slick was very thin back then as was Aretha Franklin, Martha Reeves and other lady singers were.....and men! Heck, even though she still look very good, Stevie Nicks has put on the weight also!
So, what I tell my wife about my therory about gaining weight with age is very true AND getting the weight off is VERY hard which is also very true (to almost impossible) at our age!
Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I think anyone who is not ready to make a commitment to themselves on losing weight makes excuses.

It will not be impossible. It will just happen more slowly. I think wtloss is easy for very few people reguardless of age. My gram kept her weight in check till she died at 84. She would put it on easily but just stopped with her "sweets". Plus she had the handicap of being a little shortie and couldn't exercise! (4'11')

You guys can do it. Just make your eating healthy and unprocessed as possible.
That never hurt anything

Old 08-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Just like that old sayin'......"Easier said than done!" and it is!! Fact is, some people can lose weight a whole lot easier than others! In 1968, I was only 99 lbs @ 6'1" tall and that weight almost kept the Navy from taking me (enlisting)! Problem was, while living at home, I wasn't allowed to eat much. I always looked forward to spending a weekend at my cousin's b/c they were able to eat more than I did at my home. They never once spent the weekend at my house......gee, wonder why! We cann't jog due to my hip replacement and can only walk a short distance til the old hip starts talking to me. Cann't lift weights due to my rotator cuff surgery (surgeon's orders). The basic exercise we get is on our boat (launch/retieve) and that can be a lot!
There are plenty of people (actors and older singers) out there who definitely have the money to lose weight......just don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think anyone who is not ready to make a commitment to themselves on losing weight makes excuses.

It will not be impossible. It will just happen more slowly. I think wtloss is easy for very few people reguardless of age. My gram kept her weight in check till she died at 84. She would put it on easily but just stopped with her "sweets". Plus she had the handicap of being a little shortie and couldn't exercise! (4'11')

You guys can do it. Just make your eating healthy and unprocessed as possible.
That never hurt anything

Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
There are plenty of people (actors and older singers) out there who definitely have the money to lose weight......just don't!
All the money in the world doesn't make pizza or cakes or donuts or chocolate or hamburgers or hot fresh sourdough bread or ice cream taste any worse.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:34 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
its metobolic changes. The loss of muscle over time really takes a toll. Instead of doing all this cardio bang the weights you wont be heavy in your older years if you lift heavy. Perserve you muscle LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS. This is why people who are thin gain weight. Your wife probably did cardio (walked) but still managed to put weight on right?? She probably eats pretty healthy but she still put on weight right?? She probably avoided the weight room and never lifted any heavy weight to challenge her muscles. This is why she is overweight.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 AM

Man, have you got a point there!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
All the money in the world doesn't make pizza or cakes or donuts or chocolate or hamburgers or hot fresh sourdough bread or ice cream taste any worse.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 AM

Actually, my wife, like myself, put the weight on (in part) because we love my cooking! We both love to eat! Fortunately, we sure don't have the weight problems that some folks do that we have seen.......thank God!! I don't have a big old beer belly and she is much thinner than Aretha Franklin and Mary Wilson! Not only that, when we first met, we both were pretty active at the ages of 49-50, but slowed down quite a bit after moving to Colorado and living in winter months there for 5 1/2 years. And, like a lot of 60 year olds, she can't do a number of the physical things she use to be able to do. Doesn't have the strength in her hands like she use to. And, due to my hip replacement and rotar cuff surgery, I have to be extremely careful in the exercise that I do.......don't want to mess up and go back into surgery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
its metobolic changes. The loss of muscle over time really takes a toll. Instead of doing all this cardio bang the weights you wont be heavy in your older years if you lift heavy. Perserve you muscle LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS. This is why people who are thin gain weight. Your wife probably did cardio (walked) but still managed to put weight on right?? She probably eats pretty healthy but she still put on weight right?? She probably avoided the weight room and never lifted any heavy weight to challenge her muscles. This is why she is overweight.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
well how about you and her when all cleared to go do some light weight exercises together. Good luck to you , and you sound great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss