Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,523 times

Advertisements

hey hiii to everyone.............i have a query regarding Smoking and weight gain. My friend is a chain smoker but from last 2 months he has cut down on his smoking, but he feels that it is putting a adverse effect on his health , . Is this really because he has reduce smoking or its just in his mind. Is there a negative impact on your health after u quit smoking?? plss help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 AM

304 posts, read 1,326,118 times
I won't quote any statistics about which is worse, weight or smoking. I was only responding to your title and gonna give the pointer of chewing sugar free gum. I am a former smoker and now a "gum-aholic". I however, could not do the scale back thing, I had to quit cold-turkey.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
I quit smoking july 4th after a two pack a day bad habit. I was physically addicted and the first 4 days were sheer hell, the rest a breeze after that. Now I did not gain a lbs, I actually lost weight. So it can be done.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I am down to half a pack or less a day. There is an octogenerian journalist who writes a column for our weekly town paper. He says he just kept stretching out the time between cigarettes longer and longer. Says he still hasn't quit, is just spacing them out, but he had his last cigarette thirty years ago.

It's easy now to cut down because you can't smoke anywhere.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
exercise most single effective activity to control compulsive behavior.
after that think of counseling & 12 step.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_patil View Post
hey hiii to everyone.............i have a query regarding Smoking and weight gain. My friend is a chain smoker but from last 2 months he has cut down on his smoking, but he feels that it is putting a adverse effect on his health , . Is this really because he has reduce smoking or its just in his mind. Is there a negative impact on your health after u quit smoking?? plss help.

Is your friend actually gaining weight (it isn't clear from your post)?

Has your friend visited a medical doctor? What does the doctor say?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 PM

284 posts, read 542,738 times
I quit six months ago. It was problematic, toilsome, arduous, and nerve-wracking. In other words it really sucked. After the first cigarette free week it became gradually easier. I have put on a few kilograms though. I think that a few extra pounds is better than a few extra cigarettes.
Although I did it cold-turkey, I have heard rave reviews about the nicotine patch.

Take a break for a few weeks and let your metabolism get back to a normal post-nicotine routine and then start with some moderate exercise. If I could only follow my own advice.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:11 AM

18 posts, read 53,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_patil View Post
Congratulations to your friend's decision! Although it could have been better if he quit totally from the habit.

What could be the negative impact of quitting smoking? Isn't quitting better and healthier than putting the nicotine to your body? Most people I know who stop from the habit gained weight because their appetite changed. They eat more and their body looks for food more often than it used to.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,475 times
I quit smoking on July 4th weekend as well and I started weight watchers at the same time. I used the gum to reduce cravings when I had them (mostly in the evenings) and then I started doing Bikram yoga 3 times a week. I feel very healthy, my appetite is not as large as it used to be (due to the Yoga) and I have lost 7 pounds.

There are no adverse affects to quitting smoking, only positive ones.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,871 times
they say being a smoker is like being 90lbs overweight so I'd say even if you do gain a few you are still in better shape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss