Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
It must also be made CLEAR that:

"Exercise" is not limited to going to or joining a gym.
"Exercise" is not limited to spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on home fitness equipment.
"Exercise" is not limited to running 20 miles per day with the latest pair of running shoes.
"Exercise" is not limited to participating in "Tybo" or the latest video fitness program that makes someone a milionaire.

"Exercise" can be as simple as walking 1 mile to or from the bus stop or parking garage to work. Therefore, many people get "exercise" by performing their everyday work routines, especially those individuals who perform walking or other physical activity as part of their daily work routine.

I love taking my dogs walking and I run in place a lot when I watch tv.
I also love dancing in my room to my iPod.

Start a “Move Movement” to Get Slim & Healthy - Diet & Weight Loss - Health.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Wow! Why do people get so offensive on this site?

Okay, so you are 300 lbs., but you can change that. It takes 1 step to start going. And no, there are many different types of exercises for people who can't walk very good. When you are sitting down, in front of the T.V. or whatever, do some leg lifts (lift your legs up and down for about 5-10 time on each leg). Same thing with your arms, lift your arms for about 5-10 times.

Even being 300 lbs. is not an excuse not to workout. You can workout sitting down.

Pitt Transplant, I can't understand why you have to be offensive. You can do some workouts sitting down, idiot. Why do you and most other people think that working out has to be long and strenuous, when it can be done when you are sitting down also?? Whatever!!
Like omg fer realz?

Cardio health comes from some level of strain as does any improvement in fitness. Doing that at a high weight can be too much for many and the weight can be lost without the strain. Your primary concern should be diet because that if the biggest factor in health beyond activity. Take someone who works out vs. someone who works out + eats right.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,220 times
I have used gyms and not stuck with it, at 53 I am getting in much better shape than I've been in years. I work an extremely physical job, ride a bike to exercise my dog, yard work, housework, riding my horse. Hiking when I find time. The very best exercise is one that you will stick with. If you can't stand doing it you will fail.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Like omg fer realz?

Cardio health comes from some level of strain as does any improvement in fitness. Doing that at a high weight can be too much for many and the weight can be lost without the strain. Your primary concern should be diet because that if the biggest factor in health beyond activity. Take someone who works out vs. someone who works out + eats right.

My best friend started out at 340 pounds and she is down to 278 from lots of exercise and dieting. Her trainer had no mercy on her because of her weight. I know really fat people who started out just taking a walk everyday.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
But why risk damage to your knees when you don't have to and can just lose weight by eating properly?

I don't know why that seems like such an insane idea...

I know plenty of hefty people that wont do diddly poo because of the embarassment of the wt alone.
(not to mention limitations as to what you can do)

Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Heck, I'm so dedicated to my exercise routine that I have all the P90X videos on my iPhone. That way I don't have any excuse not to do them, because they are ALWAYS with me.

Yeah, I'm a technogeek. I admit it.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Just for fun you workout freaks Strap about 100 lbs on yourself and then go do your workout. Report back please.

Lao...i know you wanna.
I'd love to do that. Im looking for a reasonably priced weighted vest that I can buy in person (not online). 50lbs to 100lbs is what I want because I WOULD like to try (TRY is the operative word here) to run with the extra weight. Its just that those vests are so expensive and VERY expensive in postage/delivery costs that it makes it difficult to find.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM

42 posts, read 182,946 times
I have a 50lb vest I found at my local sports authority about a year ago...dunno if they still carry them or not...all ive seen since is the 20lb weighted ankle wraps

Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
Quote:
But why risk damage to your knees when you don't have to and can just lose weight by eating properly?

I know plenty of hefty people that wont do diddly poo because of the embarassment of the wt alone.
Even if someone can't walk, they can always try to lift weights.

Even just little movements every day can add up.

Have you seen the show Ruby?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:57 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times
Quote:

She started out with weights and the elliptical...no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss