Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times

Advertisements

Well I have been trying to lose weight and not having much success. I already exercise regularly and eat well, so am not sure why the weight is not coming off, but drastic measures are now needed (I am simply sick and tired of this extra weight). It obviously is no longer as simple as "burn more than you eat" for me, as that actually hasn't worked! Is it my age (47)? I know metabolism slows as we age. Are my hormones doing whacky things? (They don't seem to be.)

I have been doing some research and have seen a lot of information lately on something called "The Diet Solution" by Isabel de los Rios (also sometimes called "The Flat Belly Solution"). I was very sceptical at first, as I always am with stuff advertised on the net, but all of the "reviews" seemed to be quite glowing. She seems to bang on a lot about "high fructose corn syrup" so am guessing that may be the key I am missing.

Before I purchase it (you can get it for $47) I thought I would ask if anyone at CD has used this plan, and if so, what was your experience with it? What are the pros and cons, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
does she want you to take in more? or eliminate it? I would get the Cliff Notes from someone that has read it and go from there personally.. unless she's recommending you increase your intake of HCFS, then I would run away as fast as possible. There's no way anything good can come from a diet high in that trash.

Have you tried actually counting all your calories for like a week? and I'm talking actually counting every little thing, not skipping this or that and guesstimating how much you took in. The truth is usually pretty shocking and will normally point out the culprit for the lack of weight loss.... also try to find a way to count the calories you're burning while you workout. I have a Garmin 305 GPS watch, which you can pick up online for a little over $100, and it tells you everything: distance, time, pace, heart rate, elevation (up and down), and even plots your course on Google Maps. Prior to that, I was guessing my distance or measuring it with a car or my motorcycle. The watch is a lot more accurate and saves a lot on gas. Definitely some of the best money I've spent lately. There is also a newer model out, but it's price is about double and the only real benefit I could find is it's a lot smaller.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
does she want you to take in more? or eliminate it? I would get the Cliff Notes from someone that has read it and go from there personally.. unless she's recommending you increase your intake of HCFS, then I would run away as fast as possible. There's no way anything good can come from a diet high in that trash.

Rios is a clean eater...so her diet would remove processed foods. She focuses on whole foods and simple eating. She has some great recipes...I don't have her program but you can find some recipes on her website.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Sounds like a good plan then, but I wouldn't spend almost $50 to figure that out. I'm sure a little research could teach you the same thing and the leftover money could buy some groceries instead..

Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM

She is anti-high frustose corn syrup and anti-processed food, anti-"diet" foods as well. I bought the download - lots of good info. As justthe6ofus said, her plan is very much about clean eating.

You are correct RD2007 that the info is out there and I could have saved my pennies: I have read the Body Type Diet, The Low GI diet and have read a lot about clean eating as well - to the point where my head has kinda exploded LOL. De los Rios kind of pulls it all together and spits out a plan.

New to me was info on sprouted bread, the fact that even whole grain carbs will raise the Blood sugar enough for some people that they won't lose - this is different from the info on the GI Diet.

In answer to your other very valid question regarding whether I was tracking food intake - yes - scrupulously (as well as exercise), on sparkpeople.com which is why I am pretty sure for me it was the overkill on grains - albeit all whole grain!

First impressions with this plan (that's how I am looking at it, kind of a new permanent way of eating, not a start and stop approach) - I am really quite impressed with it.

I'll post updates as I follow it.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
It's not necessarily that whole grain carbs will raise blood sugar enough for some people that they won't lose. It's that TOO MUCH whole grain carbs will do that.

Each person's metabolism is different. Identical twins, one of whom is 347 pounds, and the other 145 pounds, will have different metabolisms, and require completely different types, quantities, and frequencies of meals, to reach a goal of 130 pounds. Both -can- eat carbohydrates. But if they're trying to lose weight, they shouldn't be stuffing several slices of buttered garlic bread in their mouths every night for supper, on top of whole wheat turkey sandwiches for lunch, and hash browns and whole wheat toast and jam for breakfast.

A slice of whole wheat bread in a day's time, is a lot different from overeating carbs. So again, it isn't the fact that you're eating carbs that's making you gain weight. It's the fact that you are OVEReating carbs.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A slice of whole wheat bread in a day's time, is a lot different from overeating carbs. So again, it isn't the fact that you're eating carbs that's making you gain weight. It's the fact that you are OVEReating carbs.
This. On WW (there I go again) a slice of whole wheat bread is 2 points. Out of 29 daily points (and 49 extra weekly, plus activity points). So a sandwich for lunch is doable. OR a slice or two with dinner, IF i have extra points I havent used (not uncommon if Im eating lots of salad, say). BUT I can't have those toast festivals I used to have I can't have two or two and half bagel brunches, even if they are whole wheat. (well I could, in theory, but its not worth the points) I am more inclined to get a wrap than a sandwich, since that saves me a point.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
...So again, it isn't the fact that you're eating carbs that's making you gain weight. It's the fact that you are OVEReating carbs.
True. As I said in my post, "I am pretty sure for me it was the overkill on grains"

Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
This. On WW (there I go again) a slice of whole wheat bread is 2 points. Out of 29 daily points (and 49 extra weekly, plus activity points). So a sandwich for lunch is doable. OR a slice or two with dinner, IF i have extra points I havent used (not uncommon if Im eating lots of salad, say). BUT I can't have those toast festivals I used to have I can't have two or two and half bagel brunches, even if they are whole wheat. (well I could, in theory, but its not worth the points) I am more inclined to get a wrap than a sandwich, since that saves me a point.
I've only been "on a diet" once in my life, and it was unsuccessful. I lost around 12 pounds and gained it back when I got tired of eating the shakes they made me blend with nasty skimmed milk (I'd rather drink water, than any "thick shake" made with skimmed milk).

This whole point thing perplexes me though. If, for instance, a bowl of ice cream is 29 points, does that mean I can have a bowl every day, as long as I don't eat anything else that day? It seems rather unbalanced, if you're relying on all the points to add up to a single number at the end.

I mean, theoretically, I could gorge on lettuce, have a hot fudge sundae, and call it a day.

Do they have points systems that are more - balanced? Such as:

You -must- have between 5-10 points of "these foods." Your total of "those foods" should not go over 20 points. You should include between 1-5 points of each of "that" segment of food categories, with a total of "that" segment maxing out at 40 points.

It sounds corny, but Richard Simmons had that Deal a Meal program, which seemed more balanced. There were categories. You could eat anything from THAT. No more than X of that OTHER thing, and no less than Y of some other other thing.

In other words, yes that hot fudge sundae was only 29 weight watcher points, but you still can't have it, because it's a hot fudge sundae. You *could,* however, have a bite of someone else's hot fudge sundae, and consider that bite one of your 2 allowed dessert cards for the day. His program was 60% carb, 20% fat, 20% protein, with a total of 1200 calories per day. Personally I'd probably want to go 50% carb, 20% fat, 30% protein, but the calorie total seems about right.

Know what I mean? Does Weight Watchers provide for that kind of eating, or does it just say "points is points, fill'em up and start over tomorrow?"

Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
I've only been "on a diet" once in my life, and it was unsuccessful. I lost around 12 pounds and gained it back when I got tired of eating the shakes they made me blend with nasty skimmed milk (I'd rather drink water, than any "thick shake" made with skimmed milk).

This whole point thing perplexes me though. If, for instance, a bowl of ice cream is 29 points, does that mean I can have a bowl every day, as long as I don't eat anything else that day? It seems rather unbalanced, if you're relying on all the points to add up to a single number at the end.

I mean, theoretically, I could gorge on lettuce, have a hot fudge sundae, and call it a day.

Do they have points systems that are more - balanced? Such as:

You -must- have between 5-10 points of "these foods." Your total of "those foods" should not go over 20 points. You should include between 1-5 points of each of "that" segment of food categories, with a total of "that" segment maxing out at 40 points.
they used to have rigid system of protein exchanges, "breads" (by which they meant starchy foods - potatoes were a "bread) fats, etc.

The level of tracking was too complex. Now they let you eat anything, but they have suggested healthy eating guidelines - in addition to tracking points weekly and daily, on your daily log there is a place to track "servings" of A. Fruits/veggies B. Lean proteins C. Non fat dairy D Whole grains and E. healthy oils But its not as detailed/quantitative as the points.

And in general they encourage healthy eating, eating different food groups, etc, etc.

You COULD have a hot fudge sunday and salad, and call it a day. But A. You wouldnt be able to check off those boxes for lean proteins, non fat dairy, whole grains or healthy oils. B. I dont think youd feel very good. C. You really wouldnt be doing things the WW way. - On the other hand if there is ONE day that your inlaws invite you to have a hot fudge sundae, and you really cant turn it down, thats what you would do. WW calls that "celebrations" how to get through things like holiday parties, family events, etc - while they suggest making healthy choices as possible, saving up your daily points for a RARE binge is an option.

So its like a combination of calorie couting (modified for points, which reflects not all calories are equal) combined with general nutritional education.

You CAN do stupid things on Weight watchers. If you are so inclined, then its not the best program for you. I know at least one person on it, who really shouldnt be - she really doesnt "grok" the WW approach.

Today I had a WW brand Yogurt for breakfast (2 points - i could have gotten a different brand of yogurt, but I like that they add fiber). Plus coffee with sweetener and non fat milk (zero pts, cause the milk was just a squirt). For lunch I will have a salad probably with no dressing, etc for zero (thats mainly cause I am saving pts for dinner - often I have an 8 point chicken/humms wrap I like at the cafeteria here, or a 5 point lean turkey on whole wheat with veggies sandwich from home) That will leave me 27 points going into dinner tonight. Thats good cause I just bought a bottle of Merlot, and will likely have a couple of glasses (wine is about 1 point per ounce - if I consume a whole half bottle, thats 12 points, but I will probably consume less) - and I want to have it with pasta or something similar, cause tomato sauce is a good match for Merlot. I am afraid I wont make my own sauce, but I think the stuff we have is relatively natural/healthy. I have cabbage and baby carrots for veggies (not gonna make a salad tonight) and cantalope for dessert. Depending on how much wine I have, how much pasta, and how much parmesan, I may exceed my 29 daily points - but I have 48 weekly points left (cause ive only used 1 so far this week), and only 3 days till my new week starts. I have only gotten one activity point this week (much less than most weeks, for unusual reasons Ive been commuting by car mostly this week- my usual commute involves a fair amount of walking). I am going to garden this weekend, so I should get more activity points - most weeks I dont use my activity points though - probably why I am losing so fast.

The 29 daily points is also a minimum - on same nights after a day of salads, fruits and lean foods, I need to add something more caloric to get to 29 - I usually choose nuts, but sometimes a WW ice cream treat is nice - but the nuts are more "natural" for sure.

On this plan I have gone from 159 in December, to 145 now - thats about 1.5 pounds a week. ( im 5'6")

During the fall, I lost 6 or 7 pounds in about 4 months. At that time my wife was on WW, but I was not - just eating healthier shared meals helped me to lose weight, though not as quickly. In december I decided to follow the WW plan - though I am not a member and dont go to meetings - my wife does (she has also lost steadily)

At 145 I am no longer overweight - i hope to get to 140 or 135 (I will evaluate myself at 140 to decide if i want to lose more) and then go on maintenance. I know maintenance is difficult for any "diet" - I will follow the WW approach of gradually adding points and fine tuning, keeping that point level for several weeks, and then possibly giving up tracking. I think the better habits I have formed will help.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 03-18-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss