Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times

Advertisements

I will say this about all of that.... I like Dr. Oz. I find that he's knowledgable, intelligent, genuinely loves being a doctor and is sincere about his concerns for people BUT.... sometimes he just is too overzelous about his belief that everyone on the planet needs to become a vegan. If you are a die-hard meat-eater, yay you and yes, you should cut back on red meat but we are all not going to die if we don't become vegetarians and sometimes he makes it sound that way LOL

I went on Medifast, lost 30+ lbs and still losing, I wasn't a huge meat eater to begin with but even on my plan, I do sometimes eat a steak and I feel good after I've eaten it - I'm still losing weight and I am not a vegetarian. I'm just saying... I do however believe that the superfoods you may have read about really do have qualities that can better our health COMBINED with the rest of the diet being healthy, exercise and fresh air and less or no alcohol. I've proven it to myelf and my SO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
I'm a cardiologist. I think some clarification is in order. Dr. Oz is not advocating a vegan diet for everyone. In this patient's example, it is warranted. The man is morbidly obese, a diabetic and has severe coronary artery disease. In this patient's case, a vegan diet is recommended but not required.

Dr. Oz had recommended fish particularly fatty fish that is high in omega 3 fatty acids. He has also recommended lean poultry in the past.

Dr. Oz is not radical. It makes me laugh when people say that. Yes, he is eccentric in his behavior and presentation but what he advocates is supported by the medical community. He is not some quack nor is he pushing unorthodox ideas.

It's comical because people just to have to find something wrong with him because he is a successful physician with his own show.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
what he advocates is supported by the medical community. He is not some quack nor is he pushing unorthodox ideas.
Is it? I've heard more than a couple times that he's at odds with alot of the medical community over him pushing alternative medicine.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:16 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I generally like Dr. Oz, but a vegan diet is unnatural to humans, and I have yet to meet a vegan who didn't rely on eating industrial waste as his primary source of protein. No thanks.
I'm not a vegan, but what you're saying about having to eat "industrial waste" as a source of protein simply isn't true.

Nuts and beans of all kinds are good sources of protein. Are they "industrial waste"?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
I have learned allot from Dr Oz. It is funny to me but people that put down others who advocate a healthy life style, are the ones who really need to take advice. When i walk into Whole Foods, you see people who cherish their bodies, look healthy and fit. There are no obese people riding around in a electric carts at Whole Foods.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I'm a Vegetarian (not Vegan) and it certainly has it's perks. .............Lentils, 2% Cottage Cheese, Salmon and Tuna are all very high protein foods.
If you are eating salmon and tuna, you are not a vegetarian.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not a vegan, but what you're saying about having to eat "industrial waste" as a source of protein simply isn't true.

Nuts and beans of all kinds are good sources of protein. Are they "industrial waste"?
I live in a neighborhood with a lot of vegans and vegetarians, many of whom I count among my friends, and I am a patron and volunteer at a natural foods co-op so I see what these people eat. While nuts and beans are good sources of natural protein, they make up little in percentage of the typical vegan's diet (according to my observations). The makers of soy protein isolate products are selling like gangbusters on the other hand and the soy lobby is a mega-industrial agri-chemical beast.

I see a lot more people interested in natural foods being omnivorous while a lot of vegans are driven by cute, fuzzy animal politics, not the desire to have a more natural diet.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM

660 posts, read 1,540,784 times
If Whole Foods were AFFORDABLE, you would see obese folks riding electric carts there.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,649 times
You might have a point there.

I don't even go to whole foods often b/c of the price and I am trying my best to do 100% raw.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:52 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
If you are eating salmon and tuna, you are not a vegetarian.
No, that would mean that I would not be a VEGAN. Thankyaveddymuch.

However, due to recent medical issues discussed in another thread, I am no longer able to eat fish and stay feeling optimum. . . and many other things that some vegetarians can, unfortunately, which is forcing me into being a Vegan which is a very, very difficult transition for me, even coming from standard vegetarianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss