Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

Phentermine doesn't make someone suddenly not want ice cream. Phentermine is a schedule IV controlled drug prescribed by some doctors to combat morbid obesity. The OP hasn't indicated any desire or need to lose weight; just to stop eating sweets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 AM

859 posts, read 705,903 times
Quote:
I crave sweets sometimes, like ice cream. I need to stop. Help!!

What works?
Choose one of them, like ice cream and avoid other sweets.

Or If you are on a diet.
When you find your self crave eating sweets, replaced them by eating a lot of vegetables or fruits such as apple.

Good luck

Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I enjoy plain Greek yogurt with some fresh fruit and a small drizzle of honey instead of ice cream. Low fat and not loaded with all the junk that's in commercial ice cream. It both satisfies my sweet tooth and that wonderful creaminess that is part of the ice cream attraction. Much lower in calories, too. Try it, maybe it will work for you, too.

The less you eat sugar, the less you'll crave it....and HFCS is the worst as are the carcinogenic artificial sugars. A little bit of the real thing or honey is the way to go when you must have sweetness.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
and HFCS is the worst as are the carcinogenic artificial sugars.
which ones would those be?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
which ones would those be?
I know this topic is controversial, but any of them that fall into the excitotoxins have been shown (in some studies) to increase cancer in mice and cause a slew of other problems such as migraines and vision problems. Air Force pilots are warned not to consume and artificial sweeteners before piloting a plane.

Artificial sweetener studies commissioned by the industry have found they are not cancer-causing, but these studies have been cited by scientists as flawed, so I don't trust them (and consider the source and self interest in finding them safe).

Drinking lots of diet soda's seems to actually contribute to weight gain, which defeats the purpose of consuming them in the first place.

Splenda (Sucralose) Toxicity Exposed

YouTube - Aspartame, Brain Cancer & the FDA Approval Process (Sugarfree Light Diet Coke Zero E951)

Google cancer and artificial sweeteners and form your own opinion.

Me? I avoid them like the plague.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sucralose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saccharin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note - the FDA requires manufacturers to fund studies on the safety of their additives - the fund them because they are REQUIRED to do so, not because their aim is to bias the results.

Note, herbal additives, etc are generally NOT tested because there is no such requirement.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Drinking lots of diet soda's seems to actually contribute to weight gain, which defeats the purpose of consuming them in the first place.
I dont drink much diet soda (though I am not 100% convinced of the science) but thats a very different claim from "carcinogenic"

There can of course be different purposes - some people avoid sugar for health reasons other than weight.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Well, as I said, aspartame products and cancer causation are controversial.

However, what's not controversial is that the FDA's approval of aspartame was the most contentious approval ever and that aspartame has caused more complaints to the FDA than any other substance they've approved, with a long laundry list of serious and life-threatening side effects and diseases.

Aspartame Side Effects

Where there's smoke there's fire, I figure.

I'll not turn this into a debate. I just invite readers to do their own due diligence and form their own opinions.

And pls. take a look at the list of side effects in the link above. Do you suffer any of them? Do you consume aspartame containing foods or soda's, drinks?

I just want everyone to healthy, no ax to grind.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I won't consume things made with artificial sweetener, because that stuff is just nasty-tasting. If I want something sweet, it'll have either honey, maple syrup, or cane/brown/raw sugar in it. When I need to cut back on sweets, I don't replace them with artificial sweetener. I just cut back on sweets, period.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM

I dont use much artificial sweetener - mainly in coffee, sometimes on oatmeal or grapefruit. I don't really notice the difference from sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss