Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,352,887 times

Advertisements

Good post az. I think that our taste buds become conditioned from a very young age. Even with all the processed food available, eating wholesome, home-prepared foods when young will go a long way towards being able to make changes later on in life. I often hear people say that they don't like this or that (wholesome foods), and it turns out that most of their lives they have eaten a certain way with very little exposure to wholesome foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,061 times
I am sincerely impressed that you, a physician, have the good sense and honesty to tell the truth about one of the biggest reasons our health care system is in shambles. People eat junk, sit on their butts, live with lots of stress, and don't sleep. Then when it all catches up to them, they run to the doctor and get help in the form of a pill. Its the american way.

And "the health system" takes huge advantage of it and makes it all about money. Profit DOES NOT BELONG in america's health care system. It should be illegal for health care and Wall St to deal and make policy and of course, exhorbitant profits together.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,718,688 times
I agree with the OP. Working in a pharmacy though I sometimes wonder why I am always pushing this healthy lifestyle since I need sick, fat, customers It is amazing the amount of young fat customers who refuse to walk and eventually they become so large they have pretty much lost their ability to walk and even just bending out of their scooter to sign for the medicare covered rx is a chore that leaves them out of breath. They need to sit in my chairs and rest up before getting a couple liters of Coke and making the trip over to the front registers to ask for cigarettes

Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,718,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL.ellis View Post
I am sincerely impressed that you, a physician, have the good sense and honesty to tell the truth about one of the biggest reasons our health care system is in shambles. People eat junk, sit on their butts, live with lots of stress, and don't sleep. Then when it all catches up to them, they run to the doctor and get help in the form of a pill. Its the american way.

And "the health system" takes huge advantage of it and makes it all about money. Profit DOES NOT BELONG in america's health care system. It should be illegal for health care and Wall St to deal and make policy and of course, exhorbitant profits together.

So how do people in the health care industry get paid then. I would love to volunteer my time but I do have bills to pay.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM

6,753 posts, read 4,447,730 times
If any kind of cancer can be cured by eating Doritos. I`m safe.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,052,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Good post az. I think that our taste buds become conditioned from a very young age. Even with all the processed food available, eating wholesome, home-prepared foods when young will go a long way towards being able to make changes later on in life. I often hear people say that they don't like this or that (wholesome foods), and it turns out that most of their lives they have eaten a certain way with very little exposure to wholesome foods.
I completely agree with you! The generation behind me eats McDonalds for breakfast, Subway for lunch and Applebees for dinner. They then treat fresh home cooked meals as if it was some kind of novelty.

It's just sad because it SHOWS due to the physical transformation from High school to about a year out of collage. Many people during this short span gain a considerable amount of weight.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
So how do people in the health care industry get paid then. I would love to volunteer my time but I do have bills to pay.

Of course you should get paid. Why does bringing up the outrageous profits made in the health care industry always provoke this reaction. Don't make affordable health care impossible because of the glut in the medical industry. Big companies are hauling in huge profits, such as pharma, and making pill pushing the norm. I'm not talking about doctors salaries, I'm talking corporations.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,202,251 times
Honestly, azriverfan, I think it really is closer to 100 percent. I cannot think of a medical condition that is not either caused or cured by diet. I have seen conclusive proof that Type I Diabetes, MS and many other diseases, are diet related.

What is truly sad is that people would rather die than accept the premise. They are *THAT* brainwashed.

I cry.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,255,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Honestly, azriverfan, I think it really is closer to 100 percent. I cannot think of a medical condition that is not either caused or cured by diet. I have seen conclusive proof that Type I Diabetes, MS and many other diseases, are diet related.

What is truly sad is that people would rather die than accept the premise. They are *THAT* brainwashed.

I cry.

20yrsinBranson
Let me help you out here......just the ones I can think of off the top of my head....

Lung Cancer
Head and Neck Cancer
Glioblastoma ( any brain tumor )
Sarcoma ( few if any cancers can be directly linked to diet outside of colon CA)
Glaucoma ( or any visual disturbance)
Malaria ( unless you eat the parasite it sure isn't related to diet)
Leukemia (all types)
Sickle Cell Disease
Lymphoma
Type I Diabetes (show me the CONCLUSIVE proof that this is diet related...it isn't)
Thyroid Disease
MS (again, show me ANY evidence that MS is diet related)
HIV/AIDS ( heck, ANY infectious disease for that matter)
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Psoriasis
Lupus
ALS
Muscular Dystrophy ( or any congenital disease)

I could keep going....but you get the point?

Do diet and lifestyle choices play a role in MANY disease states?

Yep.....

But its nowhere near 90% and sure isn't 100%

Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,343,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I agree with another poster about sleep and stress, most of us don't get enough sleep.
Stress reduction also involves attitudes and outlook. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking stress reduction involves elimination of stressful events when in reality it's their own attitudes that are the problem. People ridicule postive people as being fake or too bubbly but the reality is those people are living longer, healthier and dare I say even more financially prosperous lives. Even in medicine, one risk factor for heart disease is type A personality (well it's not well accepted as a risk factor but it's thought to be one). Your perspective affects your reality. I work with a doctor who is 75 yo and is healthy and happy as can be. I realized why. He is very positive and got rid of his ego a long time ago. He doesn't sweat the small things, he laughs as much as he can, he tries to look at the positive in situations. He is also forgiving and doesn't keep score which most people often do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss