Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Honestly, azriverfan, I think it really is closer to 100 percent. I cannot think of a medical condition that is not either caused or cured by diet. I have seen conclusive proof that Type I Diabetes, MS and many other diseases, are diet related.

What is truly sad is that people would rather die than accept the premise. They are *THAT* brainwashed.

I cry.

20yrsinBranson
I say it's about 75% to be honest.
One of the main reasons for any illnesses is Stress. I can't "stress" it enough. Stress can lead you to everything from heart attack to cancer. You can eat the most unbelievable diet, but if you are under a large amount of stress, you will get sick.
Lack of sleep is of course another one too.
What about heavy metals toxicity? What about the fluoridated water? That same alzheimers had been linked to aluminum toxicity.

Although I do agree with the OP on importance of the diet, I strongly believe that it's just one of the aspects of healthy living. Spirituality, relationships, emotions play a huge part in person's health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Honestly, azriverfan, I think it really is closer to 100 percent. I cannot think of a medical condition that is not either caused or cured by diet. I have seen conclusive proof that Type I Diabetes, MS and many other diseases, are diet related.

What is truly sad is that people would rather die than accept the premise. They are *THAT* brainwashed.

I cry.

20yrsinBranson

conclusive proof that diabetes I and MS are diet related? Please go cure them!!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Today's Oprah was about food, and being mindful of healthy eating. While we are eating unprocessed healthy foods most of the time we are still too fat. I'll just keep plugging away at using only unprocessed foods whenever I can.
The show also touched on meat and how most meat is raised...with antibiotics (which causes the humans who eat it to become immune to the antibiotics) and cruelty. I will be more mindful in the future of buying only grass fed meat and unmedicated meat. It's not an all or nothing proposition. It's about making changes and doing the best you can.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:38 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
[quote=azriverfan.;12565550]As a physician, I've wanted to tell people how clean living can really improve people's lives. People have no idea how much they can improve their lives by eating healthy AND exercising.

1. Diabetes - most Type II DM can be avoided with diet and exercise

2. Heart Disease - Coronary Artery Disease can be avoided as we all know

3. Joints/Osteoarthritis - the less weight you place on your joints over the long haul, the better they are going to be toward you. Imagine being an 80 year old and have perfect mobility

4. Avoiding medication - by strict diet and exercise, you can avoid taking medications that many people take regularly like high blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, pain killers, diabetic meds

5. Esophageal Cancer - people who experience GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) have an increased rate of acquirings Barrets Esophagus. Barrets is caused by reflux changing the epithelial lining of the esophagus and transforming harmless cells into malignant cells. Barrets is often associated with high fat diets. Eating better will reduce your reflux and reduce your risk of acquiring Barrets

6. Colon Cancer - Eating more fiber, eating less cold cuts and meats treated with nitrosamines (cold cuts are treated with nitrates to kill bacteria and prevent food poisoning) can reduce your risk of colon cancer

7. BPH and Prostate Cancer - it is believed that high fat diets contribute to these type of cancers. There is no direct or conclusive evidence that proves this but it is a theory.

8. Back Pain/Lumbar Strain - reducing your weight will put less pressure on your lower back and unlike millions of Americans who have to take strong narcotics and other pain meds to reduce their back pain.

9. High Blood Pressure - reducing your weigh puts less intra-abdominal pressure on your internal organs and lowers your blood pressure

10. Alzheimers - they believe that some lifestyle changes like poor diets can contribute to Alzheimers disease and neurological health

-The point of this post was to show you that healthy diet and exercise doesn't just impact heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. It impacts other aspects of your total healthcare. It's not easy to eat healthy but think of it like this. You invest in your retirement. You buy health insurance. You buy life insurance. Yet you won't invest in your health? You won't invest in the one thing that will enable you to enjoy your retirement years? What's the point of putting all this money into retirement if you are going to be immobile, unhealthy and miserable. The biggest and best investment you can make is your health.[b] By eating well and exercising now, you are investing in your health just like you are saving for retirement. Do you enjoy putting money away for retirement? NO, you would rather spend that money on you but you do it because you have to. You need to think about diet and exercise in the same way. This isn't cute stuff, this is your life

Great post! you are so right on

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 AM

NO connection between saturated fat and heart disease

One of the most important studies to come out and yet not a single peep in the major press in almost a week. But, that comes as no surprise since it flies in the face of the low-fat, high carb diet espoused in the FDA's Food Pyramid of heart disease and the belief system of most mainstream low-fat/high-carb lemmings, including the ilk of Dr. Oz, Ornish, et al.

Here is the PDF from the metabolismsociety.org website http://metabolismsociety.org/App_The...CVD%20Risk.pdf

The study will eventually be printed by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Here's a nice little analysis: Diabetes - Broken Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Health

"The new study should drive the last nail in the coffin of the supposed link between eating saturated fat and getting heart disease. Since heart disease is the most common as well as the most serious complication of diabetes, nothing could be more relevant to us.

Ever since 1953, when a physiologist named Ancel Keys, Ph.D., compared fat intake and deaths from heart disease in six countries, including the U.S., the American medical establishment has clung to an unproven belief that saturated fat was evil. But even by 1957 we should have known better, after Jacob Yerushalmy, Ph.D., established that Keys was guilty of the sin of cherry picking. While Dr. Keys used data from six country, he actually had statistics from 22 countries available. And when scientists analyzed those statistics, the apparent link between eating fat and heart disease disappeared."

"The new study is a meta-analysis of the 21 existing studies of 347,747 healthy people of whom 11,006 suffered a heart attack or stroke during the course of the study. These were all the unique and relevant "prospective epidemiologic studies of saturated fat intake and the risk of coronary heart disease or stroke" that exist."

"Coming back to the new study, its conclusion of the effects of saturated fat on our heart health could not be stated more bluntly. "There is no significant evidence," it says, "for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD [coronary heart disease] or CVD [cardiovascular disease, which includes strokes]."

But the conclusion is even more damning. As a whole the medical establishment has been essentially dishonest. Research that doesn't agree with mainstream thinking -- at least on this issue -- just doesn't see the light of day.

"Our results suggested publication bias, such that studies with significant associations tended to be received more favorably for publication," the new meta-analysis says of the studies. "If unpublished studies with null associations were included in the current analysis, the pooled RR [relative risk] estimate for CVD could be even closer to null.""

Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I say it's about 75% to be honest.
One of the main reasons for any illnesses is Stress. I can't "stress" it enough. Stress can lead you to everything from heart attack to cancer. You can eat the most unbelievable diet, but if you are under a large amount of stress, you will get sick.
Lack of sleep is of course another one too.
What about heavy metals toxicity? What about the fluoridated water? That same alzheimers had been linked to aluminum toxicity.

Although I do agree with the OP on importance of the diet, I strongly believe that it's just one of the aspects of healthy living. Spirituality, relationships, emotions play a huge part in person's health.
Are you familiar with Dr. Leonard Coldwell, max's mama? He makes the same statements about stress as they relate to chronic disease. You might want to check out his website for more info, if you are interested. Instinct Based Medicine

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
conclusive proof that diabetes I and MS are diet related? Please go cure them!!
Without listing fifteen TONS of references here, all you have to do is read "The China Study" which has well documented published references to studies that have shown conclusively that there is a strong statistically significant correlation between milk consumption and development of Type I Diabetes. As for curing the malady, you can see a brief 5 minute video concerning how all symptoms were successfully reversed by eating a raw diet for 30 days here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdhBo4pbgE.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, doing a little online research with an open mind will lead you to discover that there are many cures out there. Although I have not read, specifically about a cure for MS, I'm sure it exists. There are so many excellent methodologies and modalities that are absolutely effective which are being IGNORED by conventional medicine in the interest of profit that it's a crime.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Without listing fifteen TONS of references here, all you have to do is read "The China Study" which has well documented published references to studies that have shown conclusively that there is a strong statistically significant correlation between milk consumption and development of Type I Diabetes. As for curing the malady, you can see a brief 5 minute video concerning how all symptoms were successfully reversed by eating a raw diet for 30 days here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdhBo4pbgE.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, doing a little online research with an open mind will lead you to discover that there are many cures out there. Although I have not read, specifically about a cure for MS, I'm sure it exists. There are so many excellent methodologies and modalities that are absolutely effective which are being IGNORED by conventional medicine in the interest of profit that it's a crime.

20yrsinBranson

symptom relief and curing or preventing a disease are two different things. You are aware of this correct?

I'll let Dr.Burt at Northwestern know about your little youtube video how to cure diabetes. He has cured a few already with stem cell therapy. Gosh he will feel like such a dummy!!

As for MS. Don't even atempt to insult the MS community that their disease can be cured or altered in anyway with diet. You think most have not already tried that? Those people have tried everything from quacks who claim they can cure them with restricted diets, to drinking goat **** to bee stings.

Here is the latest research Venous Multiple Sclerosis | CCSVI

The most promising thus far. Doesn't look diet related tome.

No there are not cures out there to find online except snake oil. So sad AND sick that the chronicaly ill are often taken advatage of like this. Then you have the ignorant who watch Oprah and surf the internet harpig on people who they know how tocure them.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with Dr. Leonard Coldwell, max's mama? He makes the same statements about stress as they relate to chronic disease. You might want to check out his website for more info, if you are interested. Instinct Based Medicine

20yrsinBranson
I'm afraid I never heard of him, thanks for the website. I'm trying to find the section on stress now.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
symptom relief and curing or preventing a disease are two different things. You are aware of this correct?

I'll let Dr.Burt at Northwestern know about your little youtube video how to cure diabetes. He has cured a few already with stem cell therapy. Gosh he will feel like such a dummy!!

As for MS. Don't even atempt to insult the MS community that their disease can be cured or altered in anyway with diet. You think most have not already tried that? Those people have tried everything from quacks who claim they can cure them with restricted diets, to drinking goat **** to bee stings.

Here is the latest research Venous Multiple Sclerosis | CCSVI

The most promising thus far. Doesn't look diet related tome.

No there are not cures out there to find online except snake oil. So sad AND sick that the chronicaly ill are often taken advatage of like this. Then you have the ignorant who watch Oprah and surf the internet harpig on people who they know how tocure them.
Actually, the book I mentioned earlier "The China Study" makes reference to several medical studies that indicate that many autoimmune diseases are highly impacted by the removal of dairy products in the diet (chiefly milk). And that indeed, there is a very strong causal relationship between the two and that currently there are studies being conducted to ascertain whether strong dietary modifications cannot lead to a "cure".

Regarding your statement

Quote:
The American Cancer Society considers a patient "cured" of the disease if their symptoms have been in remission for only five short years - regardless of the fact that they could die from the same disease two weeks later. According to statistics after five years they are CURED. I would say that when you are consuming a diet that keeps your symptoms in remission for as long as you remain on that diet, (e.g. 5, 10, 20 years) is as good a definition of CURED as the American Cancer Society's, wouldn't you?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss