Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,028,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The American Cancer Society considers a patient "cured" of the disease if their symptoms have been in remission for only five short years - regardless of the fact that they could die from the same disease two weeks later. According to statistics after five years they are CURED. I would say that when you are consuming a diet that keeps your symptoms in remission for as long as you remain on that diet, (e.g. 5, 10, 20 years) is as good a definition of CURED as the American Cancer Society's, wouldn't you?

20yrsinBranson

Absolutly not. With that said.... I didn't know there was a cure for Cancer, is the ACS know something we don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,210,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Absolutly not. With that said.... I didn't know there was a cure for Cancer, is the ACS know something we don't?
Perhaps I am missing the point you are trying make with this statement. The American Cancer Society proclaims that if you are cancer free for 5 years you are considered cured statistically.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM

103 posts, read 207,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea2010 View Post
I agree with OP. I also think though that it is more than just eating right and being active.

We need to eat a more alkaline diet, reduce the acidic foods and then be more active. Some people think that eating chicken is healthy. Yeah? But what type of chicken are we talking about? For sure not fried. And how about non-organic? No! not good at all!

And produce? If it is not organic, you are feeding your body pure chemicals! Eventually, that is going to catch up to you and mess you up too!

Of course, someone that eats "healthy" even though the food is filled with pesticides and whatnot, is healthier than someone who is eating junk food like fastfood fries or boxes foods....but you know what I mean.

Also, why is it that all the junk food (like hamburger helper, frooty loops and such) are way cheaper and put on sale way more often than healthy food?

Why is it that organic food is so expensive? Making it nearly to impossible to be "the average joe" and to eat healthy?

It is like, if you are poor or middle class, you are sentenced by society to eat junk food. But if you are high class, you have an option to eat better.

I guess, that is how social classes were meant to be....

Organic food is overrated and isn't necessarily healthier or more nutritious.

Healthy food isn't expensive. It's not hard to cook 3 healthy meals for a family of 4 for $10 per day. It just means you need to shop at Asian grocery stores (cuts cost in half), increase veggies (raw or seared, not boiled to mush) on the menu, reduce the amount of meat, and eat fruit. It also means you have to know how to cook. Knowing how to cook means less waste, better nutrition and reduced costs.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,397,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
Organic food is overrated and isn't necessarily healthier or more nutritious.

Healthy food isn't expensive. It's not hard to cook 3 healthy meals for a family of 4 for $10 per day. It just means you need to shop at Asian grocery stores (cuts cost in half), increase veggies (raw or seared, not boiled to mush) on the menu, reduce the amount of meat, and eat fruit. It also means you have to know how to cook. Knowing how to cook means less waste, better nutrition and reduced costs.
The Asian markets around here charge as much as the supermarkets do for produce and theirs is usually inferior quality too. I only go to them to get things I cannot get anywhere else.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The Asian markets around here charge as much as the supermarkets do for produce and theirs is usually inferior quality too. I only go to them to get things I cannot get anywhere else.
Which Asian markets are you talking about and where do you live?

In Seattle, Uwajimaya is as expensive as Whole Foods because it markets toward White yuppies. But the other Asian markets that Asian immigrants go to, including the more upscale ones like H-Mart, as much cheaper than Safeway, QFC, and Albertson's.

The produce is inferior, except at H-Mart which offers better produce and fish and meats, but how much that matters depends on how you cook. For Chinese cooking, it doesn't matter much. For Japanese cooking, it does. And if you're a good shopper, you'll find quality produce. It just takes a bit more effort and shopping saavy.

For meats and fish, Asian markets are better in some areas and weaker in others. Korean markets seem to offer superior fish and meats. Chinese markets, not so much. But if you know how to cook, you can figure out a way to take advantage of the $1.09/lb ground pork and $.79/lb dark meet chicken while making yourself healthier.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,028,741 times
I shop H mart once every 2 months and never save any money. $10 a day? I wish

Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I shop H mart once every 2 months and never save any money. $10 a day? I wish
Then you must be buying too much pocky. Or you don't know how to shop and cook. Or you're buying the kobe meat.

Please oh please don't make me list comparisons on products.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 AM

439 posts, read 1,259,066 times
Quote:
NO connection between saturated fat and heart disease

One of the most important studies to come out and yet not a single peep in the major press in almost a week. But, that comes as no surprise since it flies in the face of the low-fat, high carb diet espoused in the FDA's Food Pyramid of heart disease and the belief system of most mainstream low-fat/high-carb lemmings, including the ilk of Dr. Oz, Ornish, et al.

Here is the PDF from the metabolismsociety.org website http://metabolismsociety.org/App_The...CVD%20Risk.pdf

The study will eventually be printed by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Here's a nice little analysis: Diabetes - Broken Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Health

"The new study should drive the last nail in the coffin of the supposed link between eating saturated fat and getting heart disease. Since heart disease is the most common as well as the most serious complication of diabetes, nothing could be more relevant to us.

Ever since 1953, when a physiologist named Ancel Keys, Ph.D., compared fat intake and deaths from heart disease in six countries, including the U.S., the American medical establishment has clung to an unproven belief that saturated fat was evil. But even by 1957 we should have known better, after Jacob Yerushalmy, Ph.D., established that Keys was guilty of the sin of cherry picking. While Dr. Keys used data from six country, he actually had statistics from 22 countries available. And when scientists analyzed those statistics, the apparent link between eating fat and heart disease disappeared."

"The new study is a meta-analysis of the 21 existing studies of 347,747 healthy people of whom 11,006 suffered a heart attack or stroke during the course of the study. These were all the unique and relevant "prospective epidemiologic studies of saturated fat intake and the risk of coronary heart disease or stroke" that exist."

"Coming back to the new study, its conclusion of the effects of saturated fat on our heart health could not be stated more bluntly. "There is no significant evidence," it says, "for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD [coronary heart disease] or CVD [cardiovascular disease, which includes strokes]."

But the conclusion is even more damning. As a whole the medical establishment has been essentially dishonest. Research that doesn't agree with mainstream thinking -- at least on this issue -- just doesn't see the light of day.

"Our results suggested publication bias, such that studies with significant associations tended to be received more favorably for publication," the new meta-analysis says of the studies. "If unpublished studies with null associations were included in the current analysis, the pooled RR [relative risk] estimate for CVD could be even closer to null.""
I agree with this study, but if you read Dr. Eades blog today he says it wasn't done very well. Even though he agrees with the findings he still points this out in his blog.

A very good read is Good calories bad calories by Gary Taubes.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,397,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
Which Asian markets are you talking about and where do you live?

In Seattle, Uwajimaya is as expensive as Whole Foods because it markets toward White yuppies. But the other Asian markets that Asian immigrants go to, including the more upscale ones like H-Mart, as much cheaper than Safeway, QFC, and Albertson's.

The produce is inferior, except at H-Mart which offers better produce and fish and meats, but how much that matters depends on how you cook. For Chinese cooking, it doesn't matter much. For Japanese cooking, it does. And if you're a good shopper, you'll find quality produce. It just takes a bit more effort and shopping saavy.

For meats and fish, Asian markets are better in some areas and weaker in others. Korean markets seem to offer superior fish and meats. Chinese markets, not so much. But if you know how to cook, you can figure out a way to take advantage of the $1.09/lb ground pork and $.79/lb dark meet chicken while making yourself healthier.
I've never seen meat that cheap in any Asian market. I am in Dallas.

Sometimes the local Sprouts (a chain in Texas, Arizona, and California) has specials on dark meat chicken for .99 a pound, and I stock up on it then. They also sometimes have boneless skinless breasts or breast tenders for 1.88/lb, and I stock up on that too. I tend not to eat a lot of red meat. Every once in a while they have cod or tilapia for 4.99/lb and I buy it at that price. I never see it cheaper than that anywhere.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,258,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Without listing fifteen TONS of references here, all you have to do is read "The China Study" which has well documented published references to studies that have shown conclusively that there is a strong statistically significant correlation between milk consumption and development of Type I Diabetes. As for curing the malady, you can see a brief 5 minute video concerning how all symptoms were successfully reversed by eating a raw diet for 30 days here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdhBo4pbgE.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, doing a little online research with an open mind will lead you to discover that there are many cures out there. Although I have not read, specifically about a cure for MS, I'm sure it exists. There are so many excellent methodologies and modalities that are absolutely effective which are being IGNORED by conventional medicine in the interest of profit that it's a crime.

20yrsinBranson

Well there you go then....

You previously stated that there was CONCLUSIVE PROOF that MS was diet related....now.....not so much

As for YOUTUBE as a reference to back up any claim....again....

Cow's milk and type 1 diabetes: the real debate is... [Diabetes. 1999] - PubMed result

There are just as many studies that show conclusively that cow's milk consumption has no link with diabetes.....

As for "curing" Type I diabetes with a raw food diet....thats quite a trick....once the beta cells in the pancreas have been destroyed I would love to see how a change in diet magically restores these cells
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss