Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times

Advertisements

Because my better half started working out, and I dont want to be the fat girlfriend. That, and Im sick of my jiggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,228 times
I really don't feel like saving a huge portion of my income for retirement so I want to join the Air Force for a nice pension check and early retirement. I have to get more fit, though, before I can do that. Silly, I know, but it computes for me!

Old 06-06-2010, 02:56 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You're projecting your issues all over me.
Yeah RIGHT.
Way to dodge my points, girly.

Well, good luck with your weight loss, and I truly mean that.

Because if you don't lose weight then that means you're ugly and only deserve a rotten man.
Because only good men deserve pretty wives.... right?

(Your words, not mine...... but according to you, they're still "my" issues, huh? LOL!)

Old 06-06-2010, 10:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Yeah RIGHT.
Way to dodge my points, girly.
Yeah, I "dodge" dog poop on the sidewalk too.

Quote:
Well, good luck with your weight loss, and I truly mean that.
Thanks! It's going great!

Quote:
Because if you don't lose weight then that means you're ugly and only deserve a rotten man.
Because only good men deserve pretty wives.... right?

(Your words, not mine...... but according to you, they're still "my" issues, huh? LOL!)
MY words? Nowhere did I say:
  • I was ugly
  • I deserve a rotten man
  • Only good men deserve pretty wives
Here's my post again.
Quote:
Several mini-epiphanies converged around the New Year. It had nothing to do with resolutions; I don't do those. In no particular order:

1. I am lucky in that weight comes off pretty easily if I apply myself, but I used that knowledge to become lazy ("I can always get to it tomorrow ..."). Also, I am tall, so a pound or two really doesn't show much on me. I probably gained that much a week. The weight didn't exactly sneak up on me. I saw it coming. I love to cook and bake, and my husband loves me to make things for him, so it was yummy cakes at Christmastime, and big holiday dinners full of good things, and fast food on the weekends when I was out shopping. I knew I shouldn't have had those things, but I told myself I would deal with it later. I decided to start dealing with it.

2. I smoked for a year or two before I was pregnant with my son. When I knew I was pregnant, I quit cold turkey. That was easy. I took it up again a couple years later and then quit again. It was harder that time. My husband had smoked for years and told me every time he quit was harder than the last time. (He quit at the same time I did, and it's been three or four years now.) That's what keeps me from smoking again ... I might not be able to stop next time.

I put that realization toward losing weight. I've lost weight before but have always gone back to my old habits and slowly ended up back where I was before. I was 10 lbs short of where I was before my last big loss (about 30 lbs a couple years ago, which I lost after I quit smoking and started working out). I've lost a little more than 15 pounds since early January.

3. I didn't like how I looked in clothes. Shopping for clothes was depressing. I hated having my picture taken. I used to be photogenic and thought about modeling when I was younger. Now I look frumpy and unhappy in pictures. I am 36. I am too young for my life to be over. I don't want to hate my body for the rest of my life. Now I've lost a few sizes, and I'm starting to like how I look again. I bought some new jeans and think they look good on me.

4. A post on the Relationships board, where I post a lot, said something that really got to me. It was from a man who had been married for 13 years, and his wife was overweight. He really loved his wife and didn't want to leave her, and he continued to be intimate with her despite not finding her attractive anymore. I have been married for 14 years. My husband doesn't complain about me or us, but I realized he might have those thoughts. When we were first married, the guys he worked with complimented him on his beautiful wife. He's a good man. He deserves a beautiful wife.

That last may sound weird or dumb, because I should be doing this for myself. I am, but I'm also doing it for him. And for my kids. I don't want them to develop bad habits, and I want them to be proud of me.
  • "Frumpy and unhappy" does not mean "ugly." I am not ugly and wasn't even when I was overweight. That's YOUR word, not mine.
  • Even if I were ugly, why would I deserve a rotten man? Why would an ugly person deserve a rotten spouse? And what does that even mean in MY life? I'm married to a good man. Are you suggesting that I believe I should have divorced him and found a rotten man because YOU equate being fat with being ugly?
  • MY husband deserves a beautiful wife. Why extrapolate that to mean ONLY good men deserve beautiful wives? That's terrible logic.
More dog poop on the sidewalk. Yeah, you've got some issues.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 PM

419 posts, read 448,161 times
I went from being a pathetic, 250 lb, fast food and pizza eating, no confidence, depressed, booze hound. Then decided it was lame, and I wanted to be like I was back in college again. On my birthday I just stopped drinking and eating bad and traded it for excersize.

11 months later I am 75 lbs less, eat mostly organics and healthy food, have to watch from being over confident, happy, rarely booze, health nut that runs an average of 10 miles a day after using an elliptical for an hour. I hit a realization that I was leading a horrible life style. Using eastern Philosophy I realized life was in my hands and I am the one responsible for how I lead it.

The whole reason was simple though. THe basic desire of humans. I wanted to be confident and having a healthy sex life again. Other than that, I found out running makes one feel 20 times better than a bar ever could.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:17 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,513 times
Default Good one!

Quote:
You're projecting your issues all over me.
I love that you said that!!! I knew what you meant! Don't let it get to ya.
P.S. My motivation to exercise comes from my husband exercising. He has a HOT body, and does it for me. I am honored, and want to look good for him, too. We think each other deserves it. No harm it that! Keep on keeping on!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM

JustJulia,

"He's a good man he deserves a beautiful wife" totally implies that people who are of less looks deserve less and I feel sorry for you.

If you don't want people giving impressions on your opinions, don't post them. My opinion is "dog poop"? Sure.... whatever you say....
You claim you don't have any issues (and I do?) yet you post immature stuff like that.

Best of luck in your weight loss. i'm sure Carnie Wilson and Rob Bonfiglio (who loved her and thought she was beautiful when she was 300 pounds) would wish you well too.
The idea that you would even worry your husband would think less of you for changing physically..... really? He's the kind of person who might really do that? Hmm.........
No matter how good you may look, it won't change your hurtful shallow vulgar personality.

(Merely because I gave my initial gut impression on what you said... and it's my experience on message boards that people only lash out as you have at me when the responder has hit on some truth.)

Last edited by MSPLove; 06-07-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,017 times
Quit the fighting and trading of insults or this thread will be closed.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
Quit the fighting and trading of insults or this thread will be closed.
No prob she's on my ignore list.
Guess you can't have an opinion around some people.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
My epiphany for fitness was to not deprive yourself of food, but replace all the processed "junk" with more nutritious foods. Why eat cookies all the time when you can have fruits and vegetables. Also, when you go to fast food restaurants like McDonalds and Jack in the Box, eat chicken salads more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss