Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,772 times

Advertisements

Can a change in exercise routine cause a weight loss stall? I've been losing weight steadily since mid-October and am currently down about 45lbs with another 60lbs to go. I see a nutritionist weekly and I work out 6 days a week with 30+ minutes of cardio each day usually on the elliptical - and 3 days of weight resistance on machines at the Y. I lift enough to fatigue my muscles at the end of each set so I should be gaining a decent amount of muscle.

Last month I started the Couch to 5K training program where you slowly work yourself up to running a 5K race. Because I'm still so out of shape, I'm repeating each week so I just started week 3 with training runs 3x/week with a mix of outdoor and treadmill runs depending on the weather. I also added Zumba 3x/week - classes are 45 minutes each and really gets the heart pumping! I participate in a few other activities during the week as well - roller skating, bowling, swimming, yard work, etc.

Since I'm getting cardio from the running program and Zumba, I've basically stopped working out on the elliptical. However, my weight loss has stopped as well! I consistently worked up a good sweat on the elliptical at mid-level resistance with a heart rate around 160-170 bmp which, while high, is where my doctor, nutritionist and trainer all want it to be. I don't wear my heart rate monitor during Zumba but when I run, my heart rate varies from 160+ during runs to 140+ during the walks.

My clothes are fitting the same, too. When I dropped the first 45lbs, I dropped 2 pant sizes as well. My new jeans are still feeling snug so I'm assuming I haven't lost fat/gained muscle in the past month or so. I haven't met with my trainer again but my nutritionist and doc just tell me to stay the course but I'm extremely frustrated! My caloric intake is at 1600 cal/day and I track foods I eat religiously so my nutritionist can review. Water intake is 60oz/day or more so no problems there, either. I also take multivitamins and supplements like fish oil and get 8+ hours of sleep a night so what the heck is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
You have hit a plateau. I am fighting one of those as well.
Everyone tells me this is where most diets fail. People give up.
The answer I was given is "stay the course" and have faith that it won't last forever.

Are you at a weight where you stayed for some period of time in the past? That is where I have snagged and I have heard that is common as the body fights to find a new setpoint.

I have only lost 35lbs since October but my workouts are not quite as intense as yours, though I am eating less at about 1400 calories, and I am probably a good bit older given the max heartbeat you listed would be out of my target zone.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM

16 posts, read 53,790 times
I agree with grannynancy, you have hit a plateau. It's frustrating and sometimes depressing, but you just need to stay the course.
Once your body gets through the plateau you will continue to lose weight.

Keep going!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Thanks granny and Natural. I hadn't really thought about it but I *am* currently at a weight I held for some time. I wish all those harping on about how easy it is to lose weight if you just burn more calories than you take in could experience this frustration.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
ABSOLUTELY! Those who think it is that simple have not been through a seroius plateau.

I stopped at enough plateaus to learn all that happens if you give up is you gain back the weight and then some.......I would rather spend 3 months on a plateau than go back up.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
ABSOLUTELY! Those who think it is that simple have not been through a seroius plateau.

I stopped at enough plateaus to learn all that happens if you give up is you gain back the weight and then some.......I would rather spend 3 months on a plateau than go back up.
Yup, I regularly hit plateaus, and they are very frustrating. I will be stuck at a certain weight for 2-3 weeks then all of a sudden lose again.

Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing and you'll start losing again!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,799,547 times
Also take your measurements. Just because your not losing weight doesnt mean the shape of your body is changing. Something else I do also is take pictures.
I agree that it sounds like you hit a plateau. Change something up. Sometimes it helps to jump start it again.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:53 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
I've basically stopped working out on the elliptical. However, my weight loss has stopped as well! I consistently worked up a good sweat on the elliptical at mid-level resistance with a heart rate around 160-170 bmp which, while high, is where my doctor, nutritionist and trainer all want it to be. I don't wear my heart rate monitor during Zumba but when I run, my heart rate varies from 160+ during runs to 140+ during the walks.
This is not a stall. You stopped exercise. The bike burns a lot of calories for your time. If you did not change/reduce your food intake but you reduce your burning methods then you are going to reduce your burning results.

Since you lost quite a bit already your body is going to be very sensitive to changes. Some people do hit that stall after that much loss even if they keep up the exercise.

Just think about how much food skinny bike people can get away with eating. Thats not genetics, its output.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
This is not a stall. You stopped exercise. The bike burns a lot of calories for your time. If you did not change/reduce your food intake but you reduce your burning methods then you are going to reduce your burning results.

Since you lost quite a bit already your body is going to be very sensitive to changes. Some people do hit that stall after that much loss even if they keep up the exercise.

Just think about how much food skinny bike people can get away with eating. Thats not genetics, its output.
Um, but I didn't stop exercising. I just changed what I was doing from 30 minutes 6x/week on the elliptical/cross trainer (not a stationary bike - every time I try one of those I have to have the seat surgically removed from my butt!) to running/walking (30 minutes 3x/week) and Zumba (45 minutes 3x/week) which increased my weekly total time in cardio by 45 minutes. How on earth does an additional 45 minutes of cardio = reducing burning methods? Plus, in Zumba I'm using more muscle groups and different planes of movement than the elliptical.

I haven't lost any weight in a month. If that's not a stall/plateau, then what is?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Are you walking more than running? (most people do when starting new & walking burns very little calories compared to running/bike/crosstrainers) What was your HR on the cross trainer? Maybe get a pedometer and mark how much you walk in your runs. More info always helps.

The Truth About the Fat Burning Zone - Your Target Heart Rate

^^^ that explains a bit as far as taking weight away for the intensity of your workout, just fun info to share as you are doing all different types of stuff so I thought you may just like to read it.

LOL about your "surgery" Bike butt is not fun. LOL

I did not need the month long stop. I thought you just did not lose any for a few weeks.

Here is a tip to get you going towards loss again. Eat 200 more calories of lean low carb protien source (but not tuna) for two weeks and then take it away. Easy things I use: Nuts, turkeybreast slices, two eggs or a slimfast optima shake. Avoid the slimfast if sweets set you off for munchie land. You may get a feeling of hunger doing this so drink water when you feel it coming on.

Just to see how much less you burn from your old weight to your new weight look that info up. When your weight is that much lower it has a big impact on much you burn with exercise. Every 10 pounds reduces your total calorie needs by a bit and also reduces the amount you burn. Also when you get used to using your body to exercise the body will burn less even at the same mass doing the same exercise.

The people you are working with are telling you to ride it out are right. Its not like you are not going to continue to lose if you stay at it. But try my tip if you don't feel like waiting around. I have yet to have anyone tell me it did not work.

Start tracking your bodyfat too now. With what you are doing there is most likely going to be a phase of a "little bit of loss on the scale with more loss on the inches" phase coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss