Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

Ginseng can be toxic with heavy use:

American Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) - RxList Herbal FAQ

Diet pills should be avoided. Only use them as a last resort or to break a loss stall.
Any metab boosting your body adjust to it in about 8 weeks or so. (meaning it wont work like it did at first)

If you do take any type of diet pill I think its best to take it for only a month and skip a couple months inbetween to let your body heal from any stress created by the pill.

Things I or my s.o. have tried and worked:
-classic dexatrim - green tea dexatrim if you need a bit more energy
I think its really good to take for PMS muchies or right after you lose 10 pounds or more and get rebound hunger. (something I notice on diets)
-Zantrex 3 - this stuff ripped 15 pounds off my guy. I didnt take it because he said it felt very caffine-ish/tad speedy.

AVOIDS:
Hydroxycut - blah...just made me feel sick so of course I would lose weight if I felt like I was going to puke the whole time I was on it. It didnt even work for my guy at all.
New Xenadrine - without ephedra didnt work for him at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 03:48 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
Talk to your physician/doctor before you take it, that's all you need to know if it really will work for you or not, I used hydroxycut once and I did not lose weight instead felt sick and had the runs, which makes you lose water not weight. I now use caffeine pills (not a fan of coffee), partly for my work as a peace officer, it keeps me awake but also carbs my appetite, drink plenty of water whenever you take any substance dehydrates you and partly water carbs your appetite as well and don't rely on the substance alone. I work out a lot everyday as well also cut down on the calorie intake, remember 3500 calories equals 1 pound. In order to lose 10 pounds in 35 days you need to either burn an extra 1000 calories or reduce that 1000 calorie intake everyday.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
You can supplement diet and exercise, for example with a thyroid support supplement that will also inhibit cortisol production. I use one and it's great. That said, without proper nutrition and exercise it wouldn't get me the results I want.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I don't even see where these things are sold in the US. Mostly it is a lot of ginseng.

Like anything else, eating right and exercising are going to be the key to losing weight. All of that ginseng will give you more energy.
They sell like hotcakes in the lower 48 because my fellow Americans are lazy and have no tolerance for pain. The idea that you can remain lazy and avoid any discomfort and still lose weight is very appealing.

A lot of people get on an appetite suppressing regimine and quickly drop 20 pounds. That's encouraging right? I should buy some more of those pills, right? Sure, they probably had something to do with the weight loss but losing the first 20 is insanely easy if you need to drop 100 lbs. to hit your ideal weight. The last 80 are considerably more difficult. A minor diet adjustment like eating less of the crap you normally eat will definitely have an impact, but it will not get you to the finish line. You have to make major lifestyle changes like cooking for yourself, becoming a student of nutrition, going to bed early so that you can get up early to do cardio before work and learning to willingly subject yourself to extreme discomfort. There's always a trade off. If you want to be healthy and feel good you have to make sacrifices. If you feel like your weight loss campaign has been easy, you haven't even started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss