Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,588,999 times

Advertisements

do any of you write a Food Diary? IS it worth the trouble you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,593,463 times
ABSOLUTELY - I use a SW program, Diet Power to log every morsel that goes into my mouth.

FOR ME - I need that kind of discipline. Does everyone - no? But it helps for some. Right now I am a bit hungry but I have preplanned my day and - oh,well - that's the way it goes.

Many sites have logging options for free - such as calorie count, daily plate etc. And it helps you analyze what you are eating to make sure your nutrients are balanced.

Some people do well with an exchange system. Some with other things. I think it is whatever works for YOU.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,163,081 times
That's a good question.

There is a guy at work who is currently dieting so he can get the lapband surgery. The dr refuses to do it if he can't lose weight on his own.

He has to keep a food diary and he has to show to his dr once a week. Is he always honest with it? No. He's not. I get see what eats while at work and he admits he's not honest.

Can't imagine what the point of keeping a diary is if you won't be honest with yourself about what you're eating. Mind you, this guy is 500lbs and is on a 2500 calorie diet ( I'd eat like a Queen on that!!) and was told to either lose the weight or die. As of yesterday, after 6 weeks on being on this diet, he's lost 15 lbs. Yay!!!!!!

For me, it's not worth the hassle.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,821,353 times
Add me to the Absolutely category! Its an eye opener to what you do and dont eat. It takes a certain amount of discipline to be honest on it and put EVERYTHING down.
Its also nice to compare my weight/measurement loss to what I ate and did during that time.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 AM

42,083 posts, read 75,619,855 times
Yes, yes and yes, it's worth the trouble.

I use Fit Day -- although I haven't been able to log in yet today, grrrr -- to plan my meals out the night before, and enter the foods first thing in the morning. Seeing my meal plan in black and white helps me stick to it -- mostly because I think "Oh, hell, I don't want to eat that ... then I'd have to go back into Fit Day and change my entry!"

Laziness does sometimes pay off, LOL

If you use an online food diary, you can see exactly where you are as far as vitamins and minerals as well as fat, carbs and protein for the day, the week, or the month. It helps you adjust your intake to get more minerals, cut back on carbs or fat, etc.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,588,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
That's a good question.

There is a guy at work who is currently dieting so he can get the lapband surgery. The dr refuses to do it if he can't lose weight on his own.

He has to keep a food diary and he has to show to his dr once a week. Is he always honest with it? No. He's not. I get see what eats while at work and he admits he's not honest.

Can't imagine what the point of keeping a diary is if you won't be honest with yourself about what you're eating. Mind you, this guy is 500lbs and is on a 2500 calorie diet ( I'd eat like a Queen on that!!) and was told to either lose the weight or die. As of yesterday, after 6 weeks on being on this diet, he's lost 15 lbs. Yay!!!!!!

For me, it's not worth the hassle.

How ridiculous of him to cheat. Who is he fooling? Only himself. Those lap band surgery only last if you change your eating habits for life.
My sister in law had the same surgery 3 years ago. She had to loose 20 pounds or so before the surgery too. Well, she did, and she had the surgery. Several months later she had lost tons of weight. She was down from a size 24 to a size 16, and that when it stopped. She started to eat the crap again. Stretched her stomach back out and now she is up to a size 20W. I mean, wtf!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,821,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, yes and yes, it's worth the trouble.

I use Fit Day -- although I haven't been able to log in yet today, grrrr -- to plan my meals out the night before, and enter the foods first thing in the morning. Seeing my meal plan in black and white helps me stick to it -- mostly because I think "Oh, hell, I don't want to eat that ... then I'd have to go back into Fit Day and change my entry!"

Laziness does sometimes pay off, LOL

If you use an online food diary, you can see exactly where you are as far as vitamins and minerals as well as fat, carbs and protein for the day, the week, or the month. It helps you adjust your intake to get more minerals, cut back on carbs or fat, etc.

If you have an Ipod, they have an app called Fit Day that does the same thing. Its a wonderful tool.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,065,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
do any of you write a Food Diary? IS it worth the trouble you think?
It seems like just too much work for me, but I do know a couple of people who do this. They are both soooooooooooooo into their fitness that they keep this journal with them always. Its to the point of documenting not only what they eat, but at what time they eat, how many calories, how much protein, carbs, fruit etc. Both are dudes who earn money by taking pics in many of the health and fitness magazines so I guess its important to them.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,163,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
How ridiculous of him to cheat. Who is he fooling? Only himself. Those lap band surgery only last if you change your eating habits for life.
My sister in law had the same surgery 3 years ago. She had to loose 20 pounds or so before the surgery too. Well, she did, and she had the surgery. Several months later she had lost tons of weight. She was down from a size 24 to a size 16, and that when it stopped. She started to eat the crap again. Stretched her stomach back out and now she is up to a size 20W. I mean, wtf!

I know!! And his dr has told him this. He has to lose weight by dieting first, or no surgery. I think it's high time these docs are doing this. Too many ppl have had gastric bypass surgery and lapband surgery thinking it's a quick fix. It's not.

My bil had gastric bypass. He learned how to eat 10 -12 times a day and is much bigger now that he was before. His stomach is still just as small...it will only stretch just so much...but he's learned just how much crap he shove in his face and not puke it back up. It's sad actually.

One of our docs had the lapband done. He broke it. He's friggn huge. I mean frigging HUGE!! He just didn't want to follow the program....sad...very, very sad.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:39 AM

14,594 posts, read 23,176,217 times
I keep track of what I eat during the cutting (extremely low carb) phase, but other than that I can usually keep track without some sort of journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss