Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM

9,781 posts, read 14,352,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Move more - Eat less
In the last 18 mos. went from 305 to 220 (at 6' 3")
Awesome! Instead of just talking about it, you've DONE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
In America, "celebration" equals "food". We have become programmed to that mentality, and a "celebration" has become an excuse to pig out! And along these lines, how many posts have you seen on various forums with congratulatory wishes accompanied by pictures of cake, ice cream and other decadent foods?
True. I normally try to avoid blaming anything on society in general when it comes to most issues, but you are in a sense correct. Go to the Food forum and you'll see almost orgasmic reactions by some people to certain posts. It safe to say that those people probably arent concerned with their health/fitness levels though.

Even though mentality is prevalent among a lot of people, I say that people should take personal accountability for themselves and NOT blame thing on "society" or all the fast food restaurants or commercials etc. YOU are responsible for what you put into your body. If you want to lose weight/get healthy make better decisions on what you eat.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Quote:
Awesome! Instead of just talking about it, you've DONE IT!
Exactly. I had to rep him for his achievements.

Thing is, this a forum for discussion, so all here do talk about it so help others who may have difficulty. Thats why the OP started this thread.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Exactly. I had to rep him for his achievements.

Thing is, this a forum for discussion, so all here do talk about it so help others who may have difficulty. Thats why the OP started this thread.
Of course! Notwithstanding, we are all trying the best we can to be more healthy. And, "talking" with one another here is certainly helpful! I was referring to those who talk but don't take action.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,586,830 times
I would like to put another spin on the enjoyment of food vs food for fuel comment as I think people have to get to the root of their own problem.

56 pounds ago I did not enjoy food. I just ate to satiety which comes well after you are actually full if you eat quickly as you often do under stress. Now I slow down and actually eat high quality foods I really enjoy and can buy because I buy LESS food. But I really do enjoy what I am eating and have learned to enjoy foods I formerly thought of as "yukky".

I have gone back and tasted some of those foods I used to eat and find the empty calories of most fast foods, frozen foods, and pizza etc are devoid or real flavor and full of salt and sugar and fat compared to some of the healther foods/home cooked foods I am now eating. Savoring the food allows me to eat more slowly and eating more slowly allows my fullness sensors to properly work.

I completely agree it is ultimately about personal accountability and don't expect it to be easy to change if you have packed on a lot of weight. I also believe that change should not be looking for a quick fix but a fundamental change in your relationship with food and excercise.

Last edited by grannynancy; 06-09-2010 at 11:19 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 AM

42,071 posts, read 75,545,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Go to the Food forum and you'll see almost orgasmic reactions by some people to certain posts.
On the other hand ... Why not enjoy what you're eating? If healthy food tastes good (and it certainly can), then there is so much more incentive to continue on that path.

Mindless eating is really the issue. Even if you gorge yourself on broccoli, you're still eating mindlessly. Grannynancy's point about eating higher quality foods and savoring the flavor of those foods is a good one.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Do you all find that eating healthy costs more? I try to shop just the perimeter of the store....the produce section, and fish, chicken, turkey sections. I do not go down all the different aisles having prepared and preserved foods. Of course, there are times I must, like for baking ingredients (which I do little of). I also try to eat dark berries for my joints. $7.03 is what almost 2 lbs. of fresh cherries just cost me. Frozen are a little less. I will eat those cherries.....v-e-r-y.....slow!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,817,763 times
I find that it costs alittle bit more if not the same because I am not buying so many of the prepackaged foods, potato chips, crackers, cookies, and a few other things. One of the things I hope to master soon is the dried beans so I dont have to buy the canned beans anymore (sadly yes, that is a goal of mine ).
When I first started, it ran alot because of buying the staples for the house, now its not too bad. Every once in a while, I have to restock but its not too bad. The part that does run a bit is fresh fruit and veggies. I try to buy the frozen fruit (for smoothies) and frozen veggies alot. However, my oldest LOVES fruit so we are constantly buying more fruit. I just finished cleaning up 4lbs of blueberries and blackberries for him. They will be gone by tomorrow.
I've got to find a farmers market around here so I can take advantage of that, but I also started growing tomato, basil, cilantro, oregano, chives and stevia in containers outside.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 PM

42,071 posts, read 75,545,470 times
Quote:
Do you all find that eating healthy costs more?
Yes and no. Going low-carb really cuts out a lot of cheap, filling foods: pasta, potatoes, rice, bread -- and on a lesser scale, apples, carrots, and other high-sugar produce. The food I'm buying is more expensive, but I'm buying less of it. Especially the fruit I eat -- berries, cherries -- gets pricey. I try to pick my own in season, and then freeze them.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,586,830 times
I am finding the quality food somewhat more expensive but because I am also looking at long term health costs and do not have a lot of faith that healthcare will be solidly available as I age..........I am viewing improving my health as an investment with possible long term financial benefits.

I have already cut out both BP meds .... and the next target will be a statin drug......

I do believe you can have a healthy diet with inexpensive foods though. We make our own kefir and hummus for example and we have a stainless pressure cooker we use for dried beans. Plus I love to sprout beans and stir fry them.

Last edited by grannynancy; 06-09-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss