Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,867,334 times

Advertisements

My favourite two tips:

1. eat less
2. exercise more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:27 AM

42,037 posts, read 75,470,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
My favourite two tips:

1. eat less
2. exercise more
Why didn't I think of that ...

The point of this thread is how to achieve those two goals? As someone on these threads once said, if losing weight were so easy, there would be no overweight people.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 AM

17,604 posts, read 16,739,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
There is a salt free seasoning I use a lot Paul Prudhome's Magic Salt Free as well as a lot of the Mrs Dash stuff.
I'll have to check that out.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM

17,604 posts, read 16,739,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
We've really strayed from the topic on this thread. Instead of FITNESS and WEIGHT LOSS tips everyone seems to have regressed into speaking about food and where to eat what. If I didnt know better, Id say from reading the recent posts that this thread was in the "Food and Drink" forum instead talking about FITNESS and WEIGHT LOSS.

What I think is best, and what has worked for me is to try to prepare meals in advance. I (mostly the wife) do it and we eat pretty well. If we go out, all restaurants (all here in Los Angeles) by law posts the nutritional content of every meal on the menu. Its very easy to choose the healthy option instead of the 3600 burger option, then add drink and possibly dessert.

Anyone know anything about fitness and care to share those fitness tips?
Define healthy. There are tons of options on the menu that are low cal but high in salt. Ex: You can order a chicken breast, broccoli and brown rice but if they've dumped the salt shaker on your food, I wouldn't call it a healthy option.

In my area, only a handful of restaurants list complete nutrition info on the menu. Otherwise, I look it up before I leave the house and if it's not available (often the case) I stick to safe options - usually salads with fresh greens and veggies.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,814,195 times
Also dont hesitate to order your food without any added salt. There have been times where I have ordered it like that and it was brought to me with salt and got sent back until they got it right. There has been a couple of times where the manager compensated for their mistakes too.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,579,508 times
So far the biggest advice I have is "stay the course". Sometimes you are going to bounce a bit - heavy excercise can cause inflammation which can cause water weight gain the next day. Salt can cause water weight fluctuations.

If you are losing 1-2 lbs per week the daily fluctutions can be annoying. You have to look at the trend.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,058 times
great thread! the posts here are really helpful. hope to read more on how i can lose weight fast.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,311,656 times
Instead of bread I'll eat WHOLEGRAIN crispbread.

I sprinkle half a teaspoon of cinnamon on my fat free breakfast yoghurt - it is supposed to help boost your metabolism and I love the flavour!

Cinnamon: Help for Insulin Resistance and Weight Loss

I use feta cheese in salads and add a little balsamic vinegar rather than using other fattier dressings. I also use fresh lemon juice for salad dressing and sometimes when I cook, to add that "tang" without using salt.

I drink A LOT of water.

I think of "food as fuel", like earlier posters - and take the view that "garbage in = poor performance"

If I feel like eating something sweet I'll have a small square of good quality DARK chocolate - Godiva or Lindt.

I use fat-free milk.

I sometimes have a SMALL (4 fluid ounces) glass of RED wine with dinner.

I measure portions of cereal and milk so that I can monitor my calories - otherwise I'll easily eat twice the amount or more!

I eat lots of salads and vegetables but limit potatoes.

I make bruschetta topping with fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh garlic and black pepper and a MEASURED amount of olive oil - this makes a great lunch on crispbread with some low fat cottage cheese and keeps well in the fridge.

I avoid beer and processed/sugary/fatty foods as much as possible.

I make sure I get protein from sources such as tuna, chicken breast or a small grilled steak and always include protein in my daily diet.

I eat a MEASURED amount of nuts - almonds/walnuts with salads.

I EXERCISE - it's crucial!

I weigh myself only once a week. I find that more rewarding than hopping on the scales constantly and seeing no difference or fluctuating figures.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:36 PM

8,960 posts, read 11,838,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
My favourite two tips:

1. eat less
2. exercise more
Bingo! Rep point for you. It comes down to DIET and exercise.

Let me expand on this a little bit. Outside of surgery, there are only two ways to lose weight.

1. Consume less calories than you expand.

2. Expand more calories than you consume.

1 and 2 are not the same thing. If something prevents you from exercising such as a busy work life or a medical condition, then option one is for you. On the other hand, if you have time to work out, then you can choose option 2 and eat what you enjoy and burn off the calories later with exercise.

Option 1, consuming less calories than you expand, is more important in the long run. If you eat a lot and rely on exercising to burn off the calories, then you might yourself in trouble when you are unable to exercise. There are plenty of times when we are unable to work out due to a busy life, an illness, an accident, etc. Eating is something we do everyday no matter what happens in our life. So it makes sense to start a foundation (so to speak) with a proper DIET that give your body only the calories it needs to maintain good health.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-24-2010 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,718,218 times
I'm really watching my carbs and absolutely love these pitas instead of bread:

Low Fat Pita Bread - Flax Omega 3 Pita Bread - Square Lavash - Pancakes

They're really yummy and filling. Only 60 calories and 4 net carbs, plus 4 grams of fiber in each pita! I'll put a few slices of natural turkey breast on it, then load it up with veggies and top it off with salsa. I've also made fish tacos using these pitas. They've definitely helped me a lot in my weigh loss goals, especially since I was always a huge carboholic... (They're usually sold near the deli at the supermarket.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss