Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 PM

128 posts, read 470,693 times

Advertisements

I didn't plan to add a new dog to the family at this point, but (long story short), I could not leave her at the shelter when I went in to make a donation on Sunday. It's a high-kill shelter and she was already past her "date." The worker told me it was very likely her last day.

She's a terrier mix who is painfully thin, has an upper respiratory infection in the beginning stages of pneumonia, as well as hookworms, which she appears to have had for some time now. I suspect she will be a 35-lb. dog when healthy, but she is now 23 pounds.

She is approx. 10 months and had been a stray. I don't think she has ever been inside of a house before. She doesn't understand stairs, toys, dog beds, etc. But she is the sweetest little love ever. Oh, and her name is Delilah.

Anyway, that's her background.

She won't have anything to do with dry food at all, and will only eat canned food if i feed her by hand. And she's probably only eating about a half can per day.

Took her to the vet this morning and she is starting antibiotics and they gave her an injection for the worms. I'm hoping she will start eating more when she feels better?

I'm not sure what else I should be doing here. My other adoptee is a total food hog and has been from the day she walked through the door. She was not sick when adopted, though.

Any and all ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Oh, and here she is:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:28 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
oh that poor sweet girl .... and how lucky she is that you wandered in that day.....

i'm guessing that she is really stressed at all the changes and turns her life has taken recently..... that in combination with her illnesses are likely putting a damper on her appetite..... i would give her a few more days to settle in and get better ..... i bet you'll see a big improvement in her appetite very shortly.....

Old 06-29-2010, 03:05 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,402 times
There is nothing wrong with a quality canned food. My little Shih Tzu gets a great brand. No grains or junk in it.

Poor little dog. She is adorable! I agree, she has been ill and through so much. I would think worms would surely make her feel sick. I think a really good canned food is good,. small amount several times a day. Has water in it too. Water is so important.

Keep us updated! She is so lucky you saved her. What is here name?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
She is a cutie! She'll come around when she feels better and gets used to her surroundings.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Delilah looks like the sweetest girl! And you have a wonderful heart for saving Delilah's life.

I agree with LTTP -- she's stressed. Give her a couple of days to realize that she's home. Then she'll have an appetite.

Enjoy your sweet Delilah.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
She is beautiful and a very lucky girl. I would try a combo of rice and ground beef. She is probably scared and nervous, along with just not feeling well. Once she is acclimated to your home and family, her appetite will pick up. Thanks for saving her.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:20 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
OH MY.. what a pretty girl. I agree with the others however, if she is still not eating and needs to gain some weight quickly and is still not eating a lot try making Satin Balls for her. They are 500 cal each. Many rescues use them to help dogs gain weight. I used them for Gabby who wouldn't eat at all when I got her.

This recipe for Little Dogs (1/10 of full recipe) would be a good test to see if your dog will eat them before you make the substantial investment in ingredients of the half or full size recipe.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 Tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons unsulphered molasses
Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together and make small hamburgers or meatball size balls. You can freeze them.

I take these to our shelter if we get a dog that is really thin

Old 06-29-2010, 05:04 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,959 times
What a sweet little dog I agree with the other posters give her some time and lots of patience and I am sure in no time she will be fit and fiddle. You are an angel for taking her to a forever home. She is right where she needs to be.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:07 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
OH MY.. what a pretty girl. I agree with the others however, if she is still not eating and needs to gain some weight quickly and is still not eating a lot try making Satin Balls for her. They are 500 cal each. Many rescues use them to help dogs gain weight. I used them for Gabby who wouldn't eat at all when I got her.

This recipe for Little Dogs (1/10 of full recipe) would be a good test to see if your dog will eat them before you make the substantial investment in ingredients of the half or full size recipe.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 Tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons unsulphered molasses
Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together and make small hamburgers or meatball size balls. You can freeze them.

I take these to our shelter if we get a dog that is really thin
In your opinion would this be a good receipe for feeding ones dogs on occasion? Once in a while I like to exchange a "home made" dinner for the dog food dinner. None of my furbutts are overwieght so the calorie count would not be an issue.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:15 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I think when this dog gets used to where she is and has made sure that you are going to put her on the curb then she will come around and start eating and using the bathroom outside . I think once she has adjusted you will have a happy dog and congrats on adopting her she looks like an awesome dog and I hope the worms go away and the other crap and god bless you and her . Please update us and let us know how she is doing .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs