Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

My lab was 1/2 dog, 1/2 goat. I never knew about the proper dosage weight for peroxide so I just poured it down his throat as required. It usually worked pretty fast. I swear that dog had a stomach of steel.

Keeping paws crossed for yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This was my experience, as well...we had big farm dogs, followed no particular precautions...they ate what we ate, including all sorts of stuff that's billed as bad for dogs (my malamute would actually dig up onions from the garden to munch on). I have no doubt that they ate chocolate reasonably often enough, among other things.

I guess the reason I worry for Willie is because he's nowhere near as big as the hulking, rough-and-tumble dogs we had out on the farm, and something toxic won't be as diluted in his system as in a bigger dogs'.

Upon further investigation on the actual cacao content of Lindt's Dark Touch of Sea Salt bars, it appears that, compared to their other dark chocolate offerings, it barely qualifies as dark chocolate...only 47% cacao. The whole bar is 3.5 oz, and was half gone, so he ate 1.75 oz.
Dare I say "tragedy averted"?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Well, it's been a good hour and a half since the first dosage, and there was no materialization of puke. I brought him inside, back to the AC, and am monitoring him. He's pretty much just done his usual thing, rolled his Kongs and Nylabones around and gnawed on them, and is now curled up next to me. He does seem to be breathing fairly heavily, and is super thirsty, but he was just out on the line in the heat for an hour. He seems responsive, etc. Just jumped up to bark out the window at the rabbits that mock him from the yard. He's not as mellow as he often is when I'm home with him, though...don't know if he's sensing my anxiety, if he's feeling like he needs to puke, or if he's just all hopped up on chocolate.

The school I work for is on break this week, so I can stay with him until about 4:30, when I leave for my part-time job. He'll be home alone for about a half hour, when my SO gets home. We'll go for our usual long walk before I leave for my PT job, and if he's not feeling well, it should be apparent on the walk, if nothing else. If I have to call the mom at my PT job (it's in-home care for a disabled kid) and tell her my dog's sick, so be it, it's my last day at that job.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,537 times
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Keep us updated

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Just cleaned up a pile of puke from the rug, but, hey, success!!! Took a good two hours and two doses. After some rolling around listlessly inside, he hopped up, stood stock still with his head down, and I knew what was coming, but wasn't fast enough to get him outdoors. Oh, well.

Off to find the Nature's Miracle and light a scented candle.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Just cleaned up a pile of puke from the rug, but, hey, success!!! Took a good two hours and two doses. After some rolling around listlessly inside, he hopped up, stood stock still with his head down, and I knew what was coming, but wasn't fast enough to get him outdoors. Oh, well.

YAY!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Go figure that puke would be a good thing. But it is.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you aren't cleaning up a pile of diarrhea tomorrow.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:

Finally, mom can stop worring!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 PM

447 posts, read 1,620,318 times
Great! Isn't it funny how relieved you can be when they finally puke - when you desperately want them to, that is!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,511 times
Whew!! I know that's a relief to you. Thank heavens he finally puked. I know what it is like to hope and pray the peroxide comes up several years ago my Westie found a box of D-con behind the couch she never ever knew it was there and it was in a spot that only a mouse would find until one day I heard some crunching and found her cheerfully munching away on the contents. I freaked out and tried to stick my finger down her throat to make her puke. I called the vet and he recommended the peroxide treatment. That stuff works wonders less than 60 seconds after I shot the mixture down her throat with a rather large dropper up it all came pellets and all. So I know what it feels like to have something freaky happen. I also brought this up to let others know that should your fur butt get into something that they shouldn't the peroxide treatment works great but PLEASE call your vet first to find out how much to give and if what the dog ingested can be treated with peroxide. Some things are caustic and should not be regurgitated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs