Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM

128 posts, read 470,711 times

Advertisements

I've had Delilah for 10 days now. She is eating a little bit, but still quite lethargic. She perks up every once in a while but sleeps most of the day. I knew she was sick when I adopted her. I've just never dealt with a sick animal before.

We went to the vet last Tuesday and she was put on an antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection/possible pneumonia. She was de-wormed that day and again on Saturday. The thing is...her nose is still a runny, gooey, green mess. She coughs occasionally but mostly in the morning or when she gets excited. i just thought the antibiotics would have cleared her up. How long should I expect her to be sick?

I don't have a great vet, and I'm currently looking for another. Do you think I should bring her in for another check-up yet? or should I assume this is viral and wait it out? i don'tknow how long these things typically last...

I'm hoping someone experienced in rescue might have dealt with this before. I know this type of illness is pretty common in high-volume, high-kill shelters, which is where I found her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
If it were my dog I'd be taking it back in or to another vet. You don't sound like you have much confidence in your current vet. Ten days should have cleared up the green discharge; something more may be required. You said possible pneumonia; did the vet take an x-ray? If you choose to find a different vet be certin to take the medical records from the first with you.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
I have fostered dogs and its taken almost 3 weeks to get over an URI. How young is she? Does she have a temp?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times
It does sound like it could be a very bad case of Kennel Cough or could also be turning into pneumonia. I would definately take her to a vet that you trust as soon as you can and have her looked at again. Did the vet you took her to do blood work? If so, get a copy of the results to take with you. I would be a bit worried since its been going on for 10 days from what you said and not getting better.

If you have friends or family or co-workers that have dogs , see if any one of them can give you a recommendation for a good vet that they use & trust. Please keep us informed on how she is doing!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If it were my dog I'd be taking it back in or to another vet. You don't sound like you have much confidence in your current vet. Ten days should have cleared up the green discharge; something more may be required. You said possible pneumonia; did the vet take an x-ray? If you choose to find a different vet be certin to take the medical records from the first with you.

Good luck.
I don't have confidence in this vet. He is fine for routine vax and the occasional shot of Droncit, but I'm not convinced he's as thorough or as knowledgeable as he should/could be. The good thing about him is that he does not rip his customers off. In 17 years of living here, I have not found a vet I felt was both a great doc AND an honest businessperson. Plus, this vet has evening and Saturday hours, which I need. Obviously, I'm going to have to find someone better, though. No x-rays were taken.

Quote:
I have fostered dogs and its taken almost 3 weeks to get over an URI. How young is she? Does she have a temp?
Temp is normal. I am encouraged to know that it can take a while for them to recover...sort of, lol. I don't want to worry needlessly ( or spend money needlessly) if this is not abnormal. But I don't want to be negligent either. She is eating more, which is GREAT...it's just that darn snotty nose!

Quote:
It does sound like it could be a very bad case of Kennel Cough or could also be turning into pneumonia. I would definately take her to a vet that you trust as soon as you can and have her looked at again. Did the vet you took her to do blood work? If so, get a copy of the results to take with you. I would be a bit worried since its been going on for 10 days from what you said and not getting better.

If you have friends or family or co-workers that have dogs , see if any one of them can give you a recommendation for a good vet that they use & trust. Please keep us informed on how she is doing! It does sound like it could be a very bad case of Kennel Cough or could also be turning into pneumonia. I would definately take her to a vet that you trust as soon as you can and have her looked at again. Did the vet you took her to do blood work? If so, get a copy of the results to take with you. I would be a bit worried since its been going on for 10 days from what you said and not getting better.

If you have friends or family or co-workers that have dogs , see if any one of them can give you a recommendation for a good vet that they use & trust. Please keep us informed on how she is doing!
Thank you. No bloodwork done. I'm going to try to get an appointment Saturday with someone else and see how that goes. I wish I knew someone who loved their vet. I know one person who does...but she has also said, "Their place is like a spa and you pay through the nose...but they're great." I just can't afford that kind of practice. (They do accupuncture and hydro-therapy and animal massage and stuff on site.)

Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,970 times
Maybe your dog inhaled a foxtail or other grass seed and has it embedded up in the sinuses and has some sort of abcess from it. Years ago that happened to a friends aussie and they found it because of a nasal infection that was very slow to clear up on antibiotics then came back a few days later.

OR maybe it just is not the right antibiotic as with all the super bugs out there now it is getting harder to find antibotics that work.

I hope your dog is doing better soon and that you can find a vet you trust.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Oh...and the shelter had her listed as 10 months as of her intake date...which was 6/11. I have no idea how accurate that is. They have been known to be off by years.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devney View Post
I don't have confidence in this vet. He is fine for routine vax and the occasional shot of Droncit, but I'm not convinced he's as thorough or as knowledgeable as he should/could be. The good thing about him is that he does not rip his customers off. In 17 years of living here, I have not found a vet I felt was both a great doc AND an honest businessperson. Plus, this vet has evening and Saturday hours, which I need. Obviously, I'm going to have to find someone better, though. No x-rays were taken.

Temp is normal. I am encouraged to know that it can take a while for them to recover...sort of, lol. I don't want to worry needlessly ( or spend money needlessly) if this is not abnormal. But I don't want to be negligent either. She is eating more, which is GREAT...it's just that darn snotty nose!

Thank you. No bloodwork done. I'm going to try to get an appointment Saturday with someone else and see how that goes. I wish I knew someone who loved their vet. I know one person who does...but she has also said, "Their place is like a spa and you pay through the nose...but they're great." I just can't afford that kind of practice. (They do accupuncture and hydro-therapy and animal massage and stuff on site.)
The good news is that if the temp is normal it probably IS just a very bad case of Kennel Cough. Temp will normally go up with a bacterial infection and will not with a viral infection (of course, there are a few exceptions). Its great that she is eating more. Make sure to keep her well hydrated too so that the mucus remain thin enough for her to expel (I know - its gross but better for her to expel it than let it sit in there and cause more problems). If her nose starts to crust, use a soft cloth dampened with warm water to soften the crust and wipe it away. Since she is eating better and her temp is normal, you should be encouraged!

Oh...FYI - when you take her into the vet - make sure that they know in advance that she is suffering from an URI. They are very very contagious and as you have seen first hand can be very nasty. I'm sure you don't want anyone else's pup to suffer through the same thing your pup has. The vet will probably put you directly into a room as soon as you show up.

Let us know how Delilah (cute name) is doing!

Old 10-03-2013, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,230 times
Hi my dpggie was in a kennel almost 3 wks ago and came home w some sort of bateria infection but his vet doesn't knw what kind.
Hes been given 2 rounds antibiotics + hydrocone .
He has a heart murmur & hes been.put on heart meds too !!!
The strange part is befr droppg my dog at that kennel he was fine ,but now hes not gettg better and hasnt gotten better except that cough symtoms went away but keeps returng stronger and his current Vet IS NOT HELPG only what do I Do bc I love my Doggie

Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 14,002 times
Default ms lisa

My foster mama just started having a cough so I took her to the vet to go ahead and test her for heart worms, she still nursing pups. The vet said she sounded good. I'm a nurse so I'm nosy and asked would heart worms be detected with listening to heart and lungs and he said in advance heart worms the dog can have a murmur. Is your dog HW neg? I hope she feels better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs