Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:34 PM

138 posts, read 233,396 times

Advertisements

My post was directed to the OP and others who said their dobie had chronic diarrhea.

R71mopar, as for your post above, all I would say is that the occasional bout of simple diarrhea could be from any number of things--stress, an environmental allergen he comes in contact with, maybe he's occasionally dehydrated, maybe he has liver or thyroid issues or maybe he just had an "off" day. After all, he is a senior guy. Did your vet do a fecal for parasites and blood work to rule all out those possibilities? I'm really not clear on what you're asking or if you took him to the vet for this particular issue. (I apologize in advance if I missed that somewhere.) I have no idea what causes your dobie's occasional diarrhea but what I would say is don't assume what caused it a year ago is the same reason he's having it today. Maybe he's picking up some bacteria from some place he's going. There's really no way to say definitively without lab work and a competent vet. Rowan above gave you some good tips and there are many ways to treat occasional bouts of mild diarrhea but if it continues anyway, you're just addressing the symptoms, not the cause. Maybe you can live with that. With the senior guys, new issues start cropping up faster, like those fatty tumors. I don't know of any correlation between benign fatty tumors and diarrhea. Bottom line, there is not just one type of diarrhea and there's no one answer for what causes it in every dog. I hope you find out because I can tell you love him a ton. (What's not to love, right?) No reason to beat yourself up over it as long as you're doing the best you can do for the health of your dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,564 times
Am unable to leave flooded house. We have no pumpkin,rice or chicken. Any suggestions for dog with extreme Watery stools? My Dobie is 3 and has never experienced this problem before! HELP! I do have some liquid Pepto, but unsure of giving it. Dobie has regular activity level, but nose feels warm. FEVER? Please offer advice for my girl!

Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezcoll View Post
Am unable to leave flooded house. We have no pumpkin,rice or chicken. Any suggestions for dog with extreme Watery stools? My Dobie is 3 and has never experienced this problem before! HELP! I do have some liquid Pepto, but unsure of giving it. Dobie has regular activity level, but nose feels warm. FEVER? Please offer advice for my girl!

Can you call your vet to ask them for any ideas?

A quick google search got this:

You can also give Pepto Bismol (dogs only). Give 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds every 2 hours. If vomiting does not improve after 3-4 doses, please contact us. Diarrhea - For diarrhea in dogs only, give Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate.

Also, keep an eye on what she's drinking. With the flood waters, there's no telling what kind of parasites or germs she's taking in.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM

Default Pepto ok for Dobies?

Thanks so much for the advice. Vet is unavailable too! Streets are flooded and nobody can go anywhere. Yes, we are watching flood waters. She has been inside even before the rain. Don't think she drank any water outside. Is Pepto okay for Dobies?

Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 AM

Default Imodium for Dobies with diarrhea

Any ideas about giving her Immodium?

Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
It should be okay, according to the advice I found on that search. I wouldn't give it to her every two hours. Just maybe give her a tablespoon of it and see how she does. It might turn her stools very dark, but that is normal (for the short term). And I'm sure a lot of her problem is the stress you all are under right now. Good luck to you!!

Old 04-18-2016, 03:36 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,352,067 times
Never had any but occasional issues with my 4 Dobes - usually cleared up with a Pepcid tab and a beef and rice diet (low fat beef). also there's something I call "the magic bullet" I got from the vet...think it's called Metronidazole.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,130 times
I see these posts are pretty old but my Dobie boy Chain is having the exact same issues and has been since I got him when he was around 3 months old also. Our stories could be almost the same. After almost a year of it I had to rush him to the emergency vet and all they found was a small amount of bacteria in his stool. They put him on a nausea medicine a diarrhea Ned and a antibiotic. A few months katervit came right back and so I took him to the family vet since thankfully it happened on a week day this time. They ran all the blood tests and it came back showing his pancreas enzymes extremely high. It seems he has a pancreatic disease of some sort or so they think. Doc wanted us to keep him on white rice only for a month which it's been three weeks to the day and he had diarrhea again today. So, we picked him up a type of enzyme to add for his gut. Then he started passing blood in his stool tonight so Doc has us giving him pedialyte for 24 hours and no food and he's gonna check with us tomorrow. Not sure yet what's going on but I have a feeling that our Dobie babies are prone to pancreatic issues. Hope your babies issues were figured out and I'll keep you posted on Chain. It's been a long, hard fought battle with my boy but he's worth it.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:47 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
Pancreatic issues can be fairly common in dobes, especially those fed diets higher in fat and not protein balanced, dobes do best on a mid protein/fat range low grain, (no corn wheet or soy) diet, if you can go raw, ive found it to be the best thing ever...

best with dobes who seem to sffer recouring bouts of upset tummy is first check pancreativ enzyme levels if its pancreas go for a lower fat diet.

however another one I see REGULARLY that doesn't show up on a lot of fecal tests is giardia and cocci issues...(this is ESPECIALLY common in dogs form kennel envornoments) dobes seem to be quite prone to picking up both and for whatever reason their bodies seem to be pretty good at hiding it.
if metro seems to help...your likely battling giardia...unfortunately however giardia is becoming tricker to treat and some vets are now extending treatment times by double or repeating treatment 2 weeks later to ensure complete treatment as normal treatment doesn't seem to get it anymore.

coccidiosis is another that seems to be becoming resistant to normal treatment methods...

if its a reccuring issue, full blood panel, check pancreas liver and kidney enzymes AND test for cocci and giardia.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,130 times
Chain was checked for all of those. His is a pancreatic issue. The white rice seemed to help for a very short time but now we're trying this enzyme also. I have to crush it into his rice. Eventually, I pray we will find something that will work. He is getting tired of plain white rice.
The pedialyte helped tons but he is still having some issues. Not sure what path we'll take next but it's a day by day trial at this point. He's starting to loose weight now on plain white rice and then when he has these issues we have Ringo two or three days with no food and just pedialyte. I just started rice back in the evenings and bless his heart, he is so hungry. I have to give it to him in three small portions.
He has such a great temperament through it all as most dobies do.
Best of luck on finding out your dogs issues. Please have them check pancreatic enzymes and liver enzymes also. Those were where we found our issues at the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs