Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times

Advertisements

I've had dogs all my life which is getting to be quite a few years. For the sake of my dogs, past and present, I've always kept them under control either by leash, fence, or overhead cable dog run.
Why? Because I didn't want to lose them or have them be a nuisance to anyone if they decided to explore the neighborhood. Even having dogs all my life I don't especialy care for a strange dog I don't know well wandering into my yard.
And some people do have a fear of any dog. I understand that also. And I understand they might want to remove what causes fear to them.
For that reason, plus street traffic, theft, and all other things that could cause my dog harm away from her own yard I keep her under control. I would love to live out on a farm somewhere with lots of land where I could just let her run. But I don't have that privilage. Because I care about my dog so much I try to keep her from harm and hurt. The only way to do that is to control her range of movement to a safe area.
You said your dog has never bitten or ever would bite. You don't know that it would never bite. NO animal is 100% predictable in certain situations.
Imo, I think your main concern should be keeping you dog under control for its own safety rather than what the neighbors might do if it wanders unwelcomed onto thier property.
As far as a lawsuit, your neighbor doesn't have any grounds that would stand up in court imo. There was no injury or property damage I assume.
But if there is a leash law the neighbor has a right to report your dog being loose. If they don't want your dog on their property they have a legal right to use the laws in place to prevent that.
I love my dog, but I understand not everyone else might. They have a right to be free of dog nuisance. I have an obligation to keep my dog safe and not be a nuisance or threat to others.
She will alert when anyone comes around. If she knows them she will go to the door and wait for them or if in the yard lay down for a belly rub. If she doesn't know them, the person will definitely know there is a dog on the premises ready to protect its territory. But I won't allow her or give her freedom to bother anyone else on their property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:38 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
I would, for my own convenience, keep my dog leashed or install a fence so that he can run free within its limits. It's your dog, keep it in your property. Then nobody can say anything or complain. I totally understand the concern about people keeping fierce dogs around, but complaining bc the dog runs and barks makes no sense to me...

Some people are not pet lovers - I am not talking about anybody in particular, it is just a general opinion, please - and you have to think about yourself and your pet. I have heard many stories about neighbors being bad to dogs just bc they did not like them, and I don't want to take chances bc I love my pets.

Keep your dog in your property only, and when going out for walks always on a leash. Dog lovers will approach you, non-dog lovers will stay away, but you will be doing the right thing.

It is a very cute dog, btw.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,595 times
Keep your dog off of other peoples' property. It's common courtesy, as well as the law. The problem with modern society is the lack of boundaries and respect for your neighbors. BTW, I am not elderly, just sick of inconsiderate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs