Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,995 times

Advertisements

Am I supposed to go by the serving suggestions on the bag or is there some trick to this? I've always heard that feeding the good, more expensive stuff works out fine in the end bc you feed less...but I there was hardly a difference in serving suggestions when I switched. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
I never fed what the bag said, it's usually way too much food. The better companies have 2 charts, one being for active dogs and one for not so active. A 50 lb. active dog would get 3 cups of that particular food a day, while the not so active 50lb. dog only 2. Look at the calorie content per cup and go from there. If your dog is gaining weight, give him less food. If they're losing, you're probably not feeding enough.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
My opinion only, don't do any of this. No fancy food beats real food.

Give your dogs real beef, I have been doing that and have clearly seen the difference for years.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
Am I supposed to go by the serving suggestions on the bag or is there some trick to this? I've always heard that feeding the good, more expensive stuff works out fine in the end bc you feed less...but I there was hardly a difference in serving suggestions when I switched. Am I missing something?
I have an open bowl policy with my dogs. Every morning I give them fresh water and fill their dog bowls with kibble. They nibble on it during most of the day, and usually only eat at the same time I eat.

Dogs will eat less of the good quality kibble because they will be able to digest more of the food, and therefore need less. My mastiff and husky combined go through just about 70 pounds of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul per month.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
I generally use the recommended serving size as a guideline. If the dog gains weight I back it off a bit, if it is still hungry I increase the portion size. I always have fed my dogs twice per day, morning and early evening to decrease the chance of bloat.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
My opinion only, don't do any of this. No fancy food beats real food.

Give your dogs real beef, I have been doing that and have clearly seen the difference for years.
I completely agree with you. Mine is on raw. But, I realize that reaching into a bag of pellets is most convenient and very few are actually willing to try raw or even a cooked diet due to time constraints. And yes, raw is much, much cheaper than kibble. The savings are significant so the "it's too expensive and not everyone can afford it" line I keep hearing is getting very old!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
MAK, both my Maltese and PC are just too wonderful for cheap, low quality food.

I am sure all other dog lovers agree their friends are special (I agree every dog is special!) and deserve the best possible too.

Even if real meat were a bit more expensive, you spend at the grocery store and save (money and health issues!) at the vet's office and the drugstore. To me, this is a no-brainer.

I am not even going to discuss the "easier to prepare" thing, I think it is just not worth it.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 AM

533 posts, read 1,833,995 times
I'm a vegetarian and I get grossed on on the rare occassion I prepare meat for a meal for my BF, so no, I'm not about to prepare raw meat for my pup. He'll do just fine on Taste of the Wild. I was just curious about the serving size.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
I'm a vegetarian and I get grossed on on the rare occassion I prepare meat for a meal for my BF, so no, I'm not about to prepare raw meat for my pup. He'll do just fine on Taste of the Wild. I was just curious about the serving size.
Hi Lacey,

Artie also eats Taste of the Wild. Feed according to the package. If you see that Chase is gaining weight, give him a bit less. If you see that he's still hungry or losing weight, give him a bit more. You'll be able to judge this after a few days or weeks. A lot depends, really, on how active Chase is and how many calories he burns during the day.

Artie is very high-energy but he's not a big eater. He's an adult dog, and weighs 35 pounds. I give him one cup in the morning and one cup at supper time. He rarely eats all of it. And the morning serving, he typically eats while I'm having lunch.

You and Chase will figure out what works for you, you'll see.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM

354 posts, read 712,068 times
If you really don't know--Take a look at your dogs condition, level of exercise, age-- and feed slightly less than suggested serving size (they usually inflate the portions on bags). Readjust if your dog appears to be losing or gaining weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs