Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:20 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times

Advertisements

So, last week was $270 for kitty teeth cleaning and pulling at the kitty vet.... last night i get home from work and am petting dave (he had his front legs on my lap in his typical davey hug) and i noticed pus coming out of his penis.... ..... he has been eating, peeing, playing, bouncing, all normally.... even today.... i am once again in tight straits, so i called the shelter where i adopted him (and the 3 other furbutts) and once i explained what was going on and that this was the FOURTH infection I will have to treat him for (i brought him home with an eye infection).... they agreed to pay for his vet care at the clinic they use when their own vets are not available.....

waiting until 11:30 to call and see when i can get him in ......

i have been considering changing vets for a while now anyway... i am just not real happy with clinic i have been taking them to ..... if i like this gal, i may switch bailey and dave over to her..... i wish like heck the kitty vet would treat my dogs too.... but he does ONLY kitties..... and clearly is in it for the love of the kitties.... he charges only about enough to keep the doors open and a roof over his own head.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:28 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
I love my vets' practice, the whole staff, but sometimes I do think they want to name a new wing of the building after me (I currently have five dogs).

Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times
I think our vet is going to dedicate a new wing of their practice to us too. Between our dogs, foster dogs, foster cats and the assortment of strays that comes through our door (and theirs), I know we at least cover their overhead every month!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
So, last week was $270 for kitty teeth cleaning and pulling at the kitty vet.... last night i get home from work and am petting dave (he had his front legs on my lap in his typical davey hug) and i noticed pus coming out of his penis.... ..... he has been eating, peeing, playing, bouncing, all normally.... even today.... i am once again in tight straits, so i called the shelter where i adopted him (and the 3 other furbutts) and once i explained what was going on and that this was the FOURTH infection I will have to treat him for (i brought him home with an eye infection).... they agreed to pay for his vet care at the clinic they use when their own vets are not available.....

waiting until 11:30 to call and see when i can get him in ......

i have been considering changing vets for a while now anyway... i am just not real happy with clinic i have been taking them to ..... if i like this gal, i may switch bailey and dave over to her..... i wish like heck the kitty vet would treat my dogs too.... but he does ONLY kitties..... and clearly is in it for the love of the kitties.... he charges only about enough to keep the doors open and a roof over his own head.......
Hang on for just a second...

That may or may not be an infection that requires treatment. It isn't uncommon for male dogs to have a bit of a smegma thing going on down there. It can look pretty nasty but not be a problem at all and it maaaaaay be something other than pus.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Hang on for just a second...

That may or may not be an infection that requires treatment. It isn't uncommon for male dogs to have a bit of a smegma thing going on down there. It can look pretty nasty but not be a problem at all and it maaaaaay be something other than pus.
Agreed. I've seen this going on with my friend's male Lab. He's been taken to the vet for it and the vet (a very good one) said it was nothing.

I'm not discouraging you from taking Davey in to have it checked -- far from it; I'd do the same -- but keep note of what it looks like so that if the vet tells you it's nothing, you will remember for next time.

Good luck!!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Ummm - I'll try to put this delicately so I don't offend those with delicate natures

Gator's health was so comprimised when I got him that he has always been very prone to infections. When I saw discharge in that area a few years ago, I thought he had an infection "down there". My vet at the time reminded me of an old country doctor from a Norman Rockwell print. I don't know who was more uncomfortable, him or me as he explained to me that it was just Gator's way of telling me he was happy to see me

Agree, if nothing else get a fresh urine sample in for testing but ummm.....could be its just "happiness".

Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM

it DEFINITELY looks like pus .... even has a bit of that green tint to it .... (sorry for the tmi) and i have seen a drop of blood in a couple of places where he has been lying down.....

if it is just smegma.... y'all will be able to hear my sigh of relief clear across to both sides of the country......

Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Ummm - I'll try to put this delicately so I don't offend those with delicate natures

Gator's health was so comprimised when I got him that he has always been very prone to infections. When I saw discharge in that area a few years ago, I thought he had an infection "down there". My vet at the time reminded me of an old country doctor from a Norman Rockwell print. I don't know who was more uncomfortable, him or me as he explained to me that it was just Gator's way of telling me he was happy to see me

Agree, if nothing else get a fresh urine sample in for testing but ummm.....could be its just "happiness".

hhhhmmmm .... now i am getting REALLY confuzzled..... i HAD just gotten home after having been gone all day and was giving him his scritches.......

he was neutered by the shelter at 8 weeks .... still squats to pee and has never "marked" a single thing..... so don't think there is a whole lot of the boy hormones involved......

**sigh**

Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
it DEFINITELY looks like pus .... even has a bit of that green tint to it .... (sorry for the tmi) and i have seen a drop of blood in a couple of places where he has been lying down.....

if it is just smegma.... y'all will be able to hear my sigh of relief clear across to both sides of the country......
I'm familiar with the green tint from my friend's male Lab -- that's what most alarmed me -- but not the blood. Don't forget to mention that to the vet.

Fingers crossed that it's still nothing.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
hhhhmmmm .... now i am getting REALLY confuzzled..... i HAD just gotten home after having been gone all day and was giving him his scritches.......

he was neutered by the shelter at 8 weeks .... still squats to pee and has never "marked" a single thing..... so don't think there is a whole lot of the boy hormones involved......

**sigh**
Gator was neutered at around 7 months (got it done as soon as his health would allow). Agree though, blood and green = urine test. Maybe you can just take a sample in for testing and avoid the exam fee until you know if its needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs