Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times

Advertisements

I understand what you're saying. My first dog (outside of my childhood home) we got as a puppy and he lived 13 1/2 yrs. I'd have to say I had a special bond with him, different than what I have with my other boy now. My boy now was about 2 when we adopted him. I know there are plenty of puppies out there that could use adopting, that's why I would never breed a dog. It's not just breeders with puppies, rescues also have them. Personally as much as I would love to have them as a puppy, I would rather get past the potty training. Guess if I didn't have to work I would get another puppy...but for now I will pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,388 times
As much as I love my dogs, I have never for a second wished either had puppies. I think each dog is one of a kind, and I know I will love our future dogs just as much...but in a different way.

We do sometimes wonder what they would have been like as puppies though, before they were abused and abandoned. Would Lanie have played? Would Odie have had issues? But, we can only move forward and give them the best life we can now.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
IIRC that didn't turn out well and even the clone had a personality of his own as opposed to the personality of the original dog.
Dude, I was kidding...there are plenty of homeless dogs out there that we don't need to really clone any dogs. Just think it's funny that people think their new dogs will be anything like their old one.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
As much as I love my dogs, I have never for a second wished either had puppies. I think each dog is one of a kind, and I know I will love our future dogs just as much...but in a different way.
Same here. There are plenty of pets out there in rescues and shelters. If I ever want another I know I can find another one that will be overjoyed to have a new forever home.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
For the record:
The point of this thread wasn't to figure out a way to make my dog fertile again so I can have him make more puppies to have running around. It was simply THINKING about what he would have been like as a puppy. Obviously if he had offspring, they would not be like him at all. I know that. That wasn't the point of this thread at all.

I know there are hundreds of thousands of homeless dogs out there. Don't read so much into the simplicity of this thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
For the record:
The point of this thread wasn't to figure out a way to make my dog fertile again so I can have him make more puppies to have running around. It was simply THINKING about what he would have been like as a puppy. Obviously if he had offspring, they would not be like him at all. I know that. That wasn't the point of this thread at all.

I know there are hundreds of thousands of homeless dogs out there. Don't read so much into the simplicity of this thread
...you said something about Pandora's box......

Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
For the record:

All conversations, be they IRL or online, tend to go off on tangents and take side roads.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
I think about it too sometimes.

Sheba's creeping up on 12 yrs. old now, and I missed the first 2 1/2 years of her life. I think about how I could have saved her from all the trauma she experienced as a pup. When I look at the way she acts sometimes, nurturing and loving, I think "oh you would have made a great mommy". And it would be a joy to have a little piece of her still left in the world after she is called home. But, alas, she was fixed by the Humane Society, so I never was tempted. And even if she had never been fixed, I still wouldn't do it. There will never be another dog like Sheba...ever.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
MA I also wonder what if. Now that Molly is over 12 I look into her eyes and wish that she could be with me forever. I wonder if I had bred her what her puppies would be like.
But I know if she had puppies they wouldn't be Molly they would be their own unique dogs.

Since I'm a firm believer in adoption (she was a rescue) I knew she would be neutered right from the beginning. I did it because I knew it was better for her overall health and also when it's time for another dog I would go the rescue route again. Hey maybe I can strike gold twice.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:51 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
My dogs have always been neutered or spayed and I do not regret it at all. I have no desire to raise a litter of puppies maybe because we had them with our dog when I was a little kid and I know how hard it was to give them all away to strangers. There was a time where she only had one puppy that we named Freddy and when we knew his new family was coming to get him my sisters and I hid him and would not tell our parents where. Didn't work as his new family waited us out!

Dawn knowing Artie as a puppy is no guarantee he will not have the same issues as I got Jazz at 12 weeks she went to puppy class, hung out with all my friends dogs and my old dog. But she had this intense fear of dogs, once she got to know them she was OK but even as a puppy if they tried to rush at her she would go into attack mode to frighten them away . At about 16 weeks she started going to day care owned by the trainer that did our puppy classes as he felt that would help her. She would spend the morning studying the others but keeping to herself then spend the afternoon bossing the others around and yes most were adult dogs! She continued in obedience classes and went to the leash free park where she did have a huge group of dogs that she loved to play with but still did not do well meeting new dogs. At a year she was in agility classes and soon belonged to the local agility/ flyball club.. I feel I did everything to socialize her to other dogs yet at 14 she still has issues with dogs. She also was one heck of a difficult puppy and there were times I did not like her because of it but perhaps it is the fact she was so difficult that she and I bonded like we did as I learned so much about dogs from my experiences with her. I grew up with dogs so thought I understood them but I guess that was not so until I met her.

Dazzle's breeder also has a contract saying the dogs will be fixed by a specific age and if you do it she gives you $100.00 back. If I had not gotten him fixed and bred him without her permission the puppies could not be registered with the breed club so would be worthless except as pets. When and If they go AKC I hope they can keep that rule somehow. That is a standard requirement with the breeders of the windhounds that way they control breeding and help keep the lines healthy. All registered puppies are also part of a DNA dog genome project at UCD.

I did not miss knowing Dazzle as a young puppy. He was 8 months when I got him and house trained and over most of that bad puppy behavior so much easier. Dash was a year old when I got him and he just stepped into life with me and Jazz like he had grown up with us.Easiest of all of them! Phoenix I would have like to have seen as a puppy only because I know what a fluff ball bundle of love she must have been as I love the border collie and aussie pups as they are so fluffy you just want to cuddle them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs