Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

I got so frustrated with Kizzy last night that I told him that I was going to take him back to the tree I found him tied to. Between him, and everything else that is going on in my life, I'm just plain exhausted. When I went to bed last night, I made the mistake of trying to take him into the bedroom (rather than putting him in crate, which I usually do). When I got under the covers, he thought that it was a really neat game to grab the covers in his mouth and run backwards as quickly as possible until he got to the end of the bed. Needless to say, he was in the crate within 5 minutes...

Someone PLEASE tell me that this gets better. He's about 4 months now (and is now in his crate enjoying a peanut butter Kong, so I get some peace for at least 10 minutes...). I definitely wasn't planning on getting a dog at this point, but I'm surely not going to give up on this. I just need some positive reinforcement. PLEASE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
It WILL get better! He's a puppy and just wants to play. He needs lots of exercise daily, nice long walks. A tired dog is a good dog! And thank you for saving him.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
You have a normal puppy who will grow into a normal dog. Keep working.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:19 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
human kids can push past the point meltdown exasperation too ..... this too shall pass......

Old 07-17-2010, 05:44 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
First, stop making the crate a punishment, but instead a pleasure. Put safe chew toys in there, and hide treats in the bedding, to get past the idea of it as punishment.

We crate Bigun every night, immediately after his last trip to the potty post, and his goodnight loving. If he cries, we firmly but gently remind him it is "Night-Night." In the beginning, we covered him until we went to bed. He has a standard Night-Night time that allows us puppy-free hours to unwind before we go to bed.

At four months, your dog is an infant, and will probably need a midnight trip to the potty post. That won't last forever.

Now, at fourteen months, Bigun uses his crate when he needs time away from us, or just a comfortable place to snooze without interruption. Being a beagle, we crate him (we live in the RV until the end of this month) whenever we go out, because we are not certain he won't eat anything dangerous to himself. My previous dog was allowed open crate through the day, once he was potty trained, but he never tried to eat everything that fit in his mouth.

Be patient. Of course it gets better. This is a training time for both of you. Everything improves with time.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
human kids can push past the point meltdown exasperation too ..... this too shall pass......
I remember calling my MIL and asking her how people survive having kids.

Bear and Angel was always up to something.

Then they got so they would come and "tell" on each other.

Now that they are grown, they are great to be around.

Last fall I was vacuum packing some venison when the neighbor call crying she thought a water pipe broke under her house.

I ran out the door and the meat was still sitting on the floor in tubs.

When I came back in about an hour, it was still there. Just as I left it.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 AM

To make things clear, I don't use the crate for a punishment. He eats in there, and gets his peanut butter Kong treats in there as well. When I put him in at night, he gets his Kong, and goes in with absolutely no issues. (As I did the other night, after the bedroom fiasco...)

I guess it's just been a really long time since I've been around a young animal for such an extended period of time that I've forgotten how to sleep (and do everything else) with one eye open.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm praying that all of this time and energy I'm spending on him now will pay dividends in the future. But, as I'm sure you all know, sometimes it's just so hard to see past the eating of cat litter, or the sneaking of a chew or two on my shoes.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
I will trade you 2 teenage grand kids for kissy?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
I will trade you 2 teenage grand kids for kissy?
Nah...you can't crate grandkids.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Please be patient with your baby. Please don't give up on him.

He might be a little clumsy but the best reward is you will have his undying love for years to come.

Many people get pets when they are (or so they say)/are not really ready to and it saddens me so much when they let them go and say "oh, well...", I just don't understand and honestly do not agree with that.

Attention, pet adopters/buyers: please do your homework and think carefully before getting a pet. It takes love, time and patience. It needs training, walks, feeding, care, etc. It has a personality, which you must be willing to work on.
It does not - or at least in my humble opinion it should not - come with a XX day money-back guarantee. It is a living creature deserving of much love.

I am very happy you have such kind heart and are patient with him. Congratulations, your patience will be rewarded with a lot of love. And I am sure many people have the highest regard of the ones who don't give up on their fur babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs