Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,748 times

Advertisements

After 2 weeks of "fake leaving" over and over for increasing amounts of time, 2 sessions with our trainer and lots of practice in between, and using many of the suggestions made on this board...Chase is improving with his separation anxiety! He's been here almost a month and is getting used to his new life/routine. No more crate for him...he does fine without it (so far) and it was when he was crated that his anxiety was through the roof. The longest he's been left alone so far is 3 hours so we need to work it up to a work day in the next 2 weeks, but I am confident he will continue to improve! We are so happy we decided to get a private trainer as we are learning so much from her. I'm trying not to get too excited just yet as I know he has more progress to make, but I'm hoping I can actually enjoy my last 2 weeks of summer vacay without worrying about leaving him behind in a constant state of panic! Thanks for all the suggestions and support!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,700,354 times
That's really wonderful to hear. You also bring up a good point about crating: while it works for many dogs, and can even alleviate separation anxiety in others, every dog is different. I think that is the most important point in all of our discussions about our dogs. Most success stories seem to involve owners who listen to their dogs and respond to their dogs' needs rather than trying to make their dog into something that it isn't.

I'm so happy that Chase has found you and that you all are working it out. It is, indeed, so much work. But the rewarding feeling that you get from being able to effectively care for them and address issues in a way in which every one ends up happy is the best feeling in the world. Well done!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
Glad to read that Chase is making progress. Keep up the great work!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:25 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,520 times
Great news! Keep it up!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Great news! and he really hasn't been with you all that long so he will continue to improve. So glad you chose to work w/him instead of returning him.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:37 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,748 times
Thanks! Yeah, returning him was never an option for us he really is the sweetest pup and his only issue was the SA. He's doing great with housebreaking, he's not a chewer/barker/hyper dog at all, and we are absolutely in love with him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs