Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

We help you choose and shop for you dog needs. <b><a href="http://www.dog-behavior-tips.com/pet-store ">dog shop</a></b>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,215 times
Default rocky's mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable's mom View Post
My four year old Newfoundland, Sable, has been sick for several weeks. First she just seemed lethargic and not herself. Then her nose became congested, her eyes were runny and she had a fever so I brought her to an emergency vet (it was a weekend). She was also drooling, which she doesn't normally do. The vet did a CBC and tested for tick bourne diseases. The CBC didn't indicate any problems and the tests were negative for the tick diseases. The emergency vet gave her a shot for nauseau, an anti-inflammatory and I can't remember what the third shot was for.
Two days later she wasn't any better so I brought her to my regular vet. He did an xray of her lungs because he was concerned about her nasal congestion and breathing. The xray was normal. He also noticed that one of her lymph nodes was swollen. She had lost a lot of weight. He put her on antibiotics (Simplicef).
After a week, she was still the same. I brought her back to my vet and he sedated her for an xray of her nasal cavity, flushed out her sinuses, did a biopsy of her lymph node and took a culture from her nose. The xray was normal. The fungal culture was negative and he didn't see anything unusual in the cells from her nose. The biopsy came back as an infected salivary gland, it wasn't the lymph node. She has stopped drooling. He put her on Orbax and Rimadyl. She still wasn't improving and started hanging her head low and panting a lot. She is spending this weekend at the vet's office and if she hasn't improved, I was thinking of having a CT scan done. I don't know why she isn't responding to the antibiotics. Has anyone gone through anything similar? What can this be? I know cancer is a possibility but what else could be going on? It's breaking my heart to see her not get any better.
Hi, i hope that you managed to get to the bottom of this, we are going through the same problem with our dog, we have had a nasal flush and 2 sets of anti biotics and no improvement at all the samples from the lab came back with no bacterial infection and the vet say's that's why there hasn;t been any improvement when on antibiotics. did anything come up from the ct scan? not sure which avenue to go down now. just wondering if you can put any light on the situation? feel really sorry for the dog as he is struggling to breath through the nose and starts choking when asleep. thanks for your time.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 126 times
Hello. I see that you posted about Sable 11 years ago, but I’m hoping you’re still around. I have a female German Shepherd that started with sinus issues at 8 months old. She’s now about 14 months. She has been having problems like you described. Congestion, Inflammation, etc. we’ve gone thru fungal treatments, antibiotics. Sinuses have been scoped. I can go on & on. I’ll just say very similar to what you describe. We go for a CT scan next week. I’m wondering how your situation turned out. Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Thank You

Old 08-18-2021, 03:09 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
This OP hasn't been active here since 2011. Probably won't hear back from them.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:13 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Your dog could have a foxtail ( Grass awn) up in a sinus where they can not get a scope so can not see it. CT could show an abscess mass caused by the foxtail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs