Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 168,335 times

Advertisements

i saw the cutest dog ever, and it was a black lab/golden retriever cross... had the black coat with the long hair... was aaaamazing... where can i find one of these puppies???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM

13 posts, read 168,335 times
this is the dog i'm looking for.. but a puppy
Attached Thumbnails
Golden retriever/black lab cross ???-raaaaaaaaaauuuuuuurr.jpg  

Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
that cutie pie is a good old fashioned mutt, and there's just no way to guarantee that any dog of the same mix is going to look or act the same.

that being said, your best bet is to keep an eye out at your local shelter. if you want a puppy that's such a specific mix and look, you may have to keep going back and checking regularly. you can also look on petfinder, but at many shelters puppies go so fast they don't even go up on petfinder. you may be able to find a different mix with a similar look too. i don't think any of the "designer dog" breeders even breed that mix, and it's not a great idea to support those breeders anyway, as they tend to be pretty disreputable.

this is just my personal opinion, but you might want to consider getting a dog who's past puppyhood. have you had a puppy before? they are a real handful - see the "feeling so guilty" thread a few posts below this one for a first person account of the downside (and upside) of puppy ownership! personally, i'm really happy with the fact that i got a 5 year old dog who was already housetrained and had basic obedience down, who never went through a super spazzy or chewing up everything phase, whose adult personality had already emerged. there are definite benefits to getting a puppy, but you have to be prepared for the fact that their personality may change with maturity, that you need to be able to let them out every couple of hours for at least a few weeks while potty training, that they will chew up everything you own, etc.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Our first dog was Golden/Lab mix rescue. Amazing personality...pure black with the coat and feathers of a Golden.
You might be able to find such a mix...but remember genetics is a wondrous thing....even tho it would be the same mix...it might not look anything like what you saw. Could take on the body of a Golden and coat of a lab, just name one of the different combos. And if either the Dam or Sire were a mix...could take on a whole different look and personality all together.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Until I saw the picture you posted, I was thinking perhaps you saw a Flat Coated Retriever:

I would be avoid choosing a dog on looks alone however....

Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
There's already enough mixed breeds facing death everyday in the shelters. Why encourage more byb's and irresponsible pet owners to breed? I'm sure many rescues already have a dog out there that has been inproperly bred that matches your request.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Try your local shelter, they have a lot of lab mixes and other nice dogs who just need good responsible homes. Even if you could find puppies of that mix, they very well might vary in appearance, I know someone who adopted a golden/blk lab puppy (owner thought their golden was preg. by another golden til the puppies came out all black ;-0), in this case though, many of the puppies were shorthaired, who knows what's lurking in the background, genetics can be unpredictable. Sweet puppy who turned out to be a nice family dog.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Until I saw the picture you posted, I was thinking perhaps you saw a Flat Coated Retriever:

I would be avoid choosing a dog on looks alone however....
Exactly what I was thinking...

Both of 'em.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
The 1st pic is a GORDON SETTER! The 2nd is A Flat Coated Retriver as the 1 poster said.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinha View Post
this is the dog i'm looking for.. but a puppy

beautiful dog!!

i have transported LOTS AND LOTS of dogs that have very similar markings and coats..... just different mixes of who knows what.....

re: the genetics roulette ..... yesterday, dave and bailey and i went up to the shelter they were adopted from ..... the kennel manager and several of the other workers have very fond memories of dave (then spike) and were SO excited to see him .... while we were there, they told us that one of his brothers and one of his sisters had been returned.... they brought them out for dave to say hi and wow ..... his brother looks WAY more like a shepherd.... his sister has the same general look and build that dave does, but in a smaller version and is solid black, with just a white spot on her chest.....

so ya' just NEVER know......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs