Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
beautiful dog!!

i have transported LOTS AND LOTS of dogs that have very similar markings and coats..... just different mixes of who knows what.....

re: the genetics roulette ..... yesterday, dave and bailey and i went up to the shelter they were adopted from ..... the kennel manager and several of the other workers have very fond memories of dave (then spike) and were SO excited to see him .... while we were there, they told us that one of his brothers and one of his sisters had been returned.... they brought them out for dave to say hi and wow ..... his brother looks WAY more like a shepherd.... his sister has the same general look and build that dave does, but in a smaller version and is solid black, with just a white spot on her chest.....

so ya' just NEVER know......
Davey's siblings were returned??? Like a jacket that didn't fit???
Feh! and more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Davey's siblings were returned??? Like a jacket that didn't fit???
Feh! and more

yeah ... don't know why.... didn't ask, because i really don't WANT to know why..... would probably just be disgusted with the reason.....

but they are in a no-kill shelter and can live out their lives there if need be.... and there were a total of 8 puppies born..... so 6 of them are still in their forever homes......

Old 07-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yeah ... don't know why.... didn't ask, because i really don't WANT to know why..... would probably just be disgusted with the reason.....

but they are in a no-kill shelter and can live out their lives there if need be.... and there were a total of 8 puppies born..... so 6 of them are still in their forever homes......
OK, that makes me feel a bit better. Not completely better because I'd love for every dog to have a REAL, loving home, but at least they're OK. Sigh...

Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM

128 posts, read 470,870 times
I'm pretty sure I have a black lab/golden cross...she looks just like the flat-coated retriever, though. Solid, shiny black, with long hair. I got her at a shelter.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM

529 posts, read 1,009,576 times
Have to agree with the others, go to a local shelter. Chances are you will find a golden lab mix somewhere. MO humane society is where I got my golden lab and there were several in there the day that I adopted him.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 AM

426 posts, read 1,571,328 times
Yep, the 1st pic looks a lot like a Gordon Setter:

Here's more info on the breed:
American Kennel Club - Gordon Setter

And to add my 2 cents to the discussion about the puppies being returned to the shelter, please don't judge the owners for that if you don't know the details. There are any number of reasons they may have had to return the pup. Losing their house or job are a couple of possible causes. These things happen, it isn't the end of the world to have to give up a pet! I hate to see people demonized based on one little comment about something that happened...please don't judge if you don't know the situation. Just sayin!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
And to add my 2 cents to the discussion about the puppies being returned to the shelter, please don't judge the owners for that if you don't know the details. There are any number of reasons they may have had to return the pup. Losing their house or job are a couple of possible causes. These things happen, it isn't the end of the world to have to give up a pet! I hate to see people demonized based on one little comment about something that happened...please don't judge if you don't know the situation. Just sayin!
You're right. Mea culpa.

I just thought of it as "Dave's siblings had to have been fabulous, so why were they returned?" but I didn't think of the human part -- the bad economy, illness, the myriad of things that could happen to us that would prevent us for properly caring for our dogs.

I'm sorry that I hit a nerve; I wasn't thinking it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs