Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times

Advertisements

I have intros everyone to the pups the day they were born which sure wasnt long ago was it? But now I got some questions and need a little help .. Momma dog is trying to wean them already .. Really she is snapping and nipping at them if they try to nurse .. No she isnt swollen or hot to the touch or anything she just doesnt want anything to do with them .. she wont even sleep with them anymore.. .. She hasnt hurt them but she is making it clear that she aint gonna let them nurse.. ..and yes she is pretty much dried up. Of course I got worried and am feeding them milk replacer and soft puppy chow .. but arent they too young to be weaned? 5 weeks old now .. but they are fat and seem healthy to me .. She is pretty skinny but I am adding extra to her feed now as well... trying to keep her built up just in case but this started few days ago and is worriering to me. Is this normal for a momma dog to do? She doesnt clean up after them either so is wipe wash and clean every 15 minutes it seems .. and yep using losts of newspaper in the puppy play pen ..
They are so cute and have some great personalitys .. all are happy pups
They go to the vet in two weeks for first shots and a quick look see to make sure they are "right" .. and then maybe another week with me befor going to their new homes at 8 weeks ..
and yes they all have been spoken for and I know who is taking them .. I was so lucky and so are they .. adult homes /no small children / responsible .. yeh I'm happy for that ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
No, that's generally about the time momma starts kicking them off the teat. I would say she probably knows what she's doing...

This "every 15 minutes" thing that you speak of is why many breeders don't have day jobs. They are cute for a reason, aren't they?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
She is right on time! Amazing how Mother Nature teaches these ladies the ins and outs of motherhood. 5 weeks is perfect....now it is time for her to get back into shape. The pups do not need supplemental milk, but a good quality puppy food...start by wetting it down for them....feed the same to Mom...as she can use all the vitamins and nutrients she can get to build her back up again.
The not cleaning up after them is normal as well. You can do yourself and the new families a favor, by getting them out each and everytime they have finished a meal. The early steps to housebreaking. It is a start.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
Oh brother do I feel dumb now .. I HONESTLY thought she would feed them a few more weeks .. D'OH.... Ok so it is ok .. and yeh I went to the extra milk because I didnt want them to do w/o .. she is just a butt about them .. you can almost see the "ick Look" on her face when she goes by the puppy pen.
Yup seems like soon as I get the last one cleaned up the first one I wiped is doing it again. .. LOL I swear!.. Because these guys are small dogs I was not taking them outside thought a puppy pad or newspapers was easier .. well darn.. :: shrugs:: I am glad this is a "temp job" .. Momma goes to the vet when the pups do so I can get a appt for her spay.. I wouldnt want this job again .. cute they are but way to much work I will have to get the newest pictures up later tonight .. you can tell they have a personatilty ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs