Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:28 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

This is a baby. A baby takes a lot of work. It sounds like you are doing everything right, but you just need to give it time.
Of course you know to provide enough acceptable things for him to chew on. Other than that, just give it a few months and you'll be over the hump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 07:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Is it too obvious to put a muzzle on the puppy when going outside ? If they can't get some thing into their mouth, they can't eat it, right ? Combine that with the verbal warnings.

JiM B.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,439 times
I am a owner of white miniature schnauzer puppy that will be 3 months old on the Oct 30 I have tried every way to potty training and he is not even close to getting it he uses the bathroom where ever on the floor i have spanked him and scalded him when he does and i put him out side also I tried kennel training even got smaller kennel he still uses the bathroom in kennel I tried leash training also treat reward and always praise and excitement and remove food and water at 7 pm .I have a 3yr old schnauzer that we really didn't have many problems house training .Please need advice with this puppy in potty training .I was told schnauzer's that are white have a gene disorder that that's what's wrong with him is this true .

Old 10-14-2015, 12:51 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonflies1968 View Post
I am a owner of white miniature schnauzer puppy that will be 3 months old on the Oct 30 I have tried every way to potty training and he is not even close to getting it he uses the bathroom where ever on the floor i have spanked him and scalded him when he does and i put him out side also I tried kennel training even got smaller kennel he still uses the bathroom in kennel I tried leash training also treat reward and always praise and excitement and remove food and water at 7 pm .I have a 3yr old schnauzer that we really didn't have many problems house training .Please need advice with this puppy in potty training .I was told schnauzer's that are white have a gene disorder that that's what's wrong with him is this true .

Please STOP hitting and yelling at him. It doesn't help and it makes things worse. He doesn't understand what you want him to do. It's not realistic to expect a 3 month old puppy to be completely potty trained. Some dogs just take longer than others. If he's going to the bathroom in the kennel you're leaving him in there too long. You need to get on a schedule and stick to it. Go outside with him when he's outside and stay out there until he goes. You are going to have to start all over again because he's confused. It will take time. I don't think it has anything to do with him being white.

Do a search on this forum for potty training there are several threads with very good information.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:18 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Agreed. Please don't hit the pup. That will only scare him and make him afraid of you. Things will go downhill from there. Hire a trainer if you need to, and/or read some books to save you and pup from further transgresses.
It's a baby. Think of your situation like that.
Please don't yell at it, also very scary to a puppy.

Last edited by TerraDown; 10-14-2015 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 07:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Muzzle that little mouth. Why I love muzzles — Canine Confidence

Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 696 times
I have a pup of 3 months... he sniffs everywhere and tries to eat whatever is out there... I keep saying no! and pull him back with the leash. What else can I do to keep him from doing this? Will he grow out of it?

Old 03-25-2019, 01:44 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I can't help but I hope you can work it out. My cousin had a corgi who ate EVERYTHING including landscape bark. I can't remember now many times he ended up in the hospital. Best wishes!

Old 03-25-2019, 03:27 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmoles View Post
I have a pup of 3 months... he sniffs everywhere and tries to eat whatever is out there... I keep saying no! and pull him back with the leash. What else can I do to keep him from doing this? Will he grow out of it?
Yes he will. He's exploring the entire world with his mouth and nose. It is natural and not everything is dangerous. You can carry distractions with you...pocket treats, small squeaky toy or clicker to interrupt the behavior. Get his attention, then reward your pup for paying attention to YOU instead of whatever the fascinating gross object happens to be.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
Sounds like a normal puppy. Our trainer taught us to do "Leave It" for that kind of behavior. We firmly say "Leave It" and sorta snap the leash (gently!). It's a reminder similar to when a momma pup would nip their pup's neck. Works like a charm for us! We don't even have to do the leash thing anymore, just say leave it.
^ What he said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs