Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 PM

433 posts, read 1,619,740 times

Advertisements

So I got a dog a few months ago (Australian Cattle Dog) and I am having some issues with my neighbors. My dog is a sweetie and he has never bitten anyone and never would though he is wary of strangers. Last weekend I was working in my front yard a little bit and my dog wandered away from me. He ususally sticks really close to me but he went across the street and barked at my neigbor. I told him to come back and I put him in the backyard. End of story right? No.

Today the lady came up to my wife when she was leaving (I wasn't home) and basically threatened a lawsuit, call the SPCA, Sheriff's Department and in more words or less told her to get rid of the dog. I found this hard to believe so I went over to talk to them and they told me the same thing. They used the word lawsuit about 3 times in one minute and I told them I don't appreciate the threats and they said they weren't threatening, they were the ones being neighborly All of my neighbors are old (perhaps a bit senile) and retired and have nothing to do all day.

Anyways, barring my dog actually biting them should I be worried? What does a dog have to do for it to be removed by the Sheriff's or SPCA? And here's a picture if your curious.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/Shizzysixd6/Boogie.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
So I got a dog a few months ago (Australian Cattle Dog) and I am having some issues with my neighbors. My dog is a sweetie and he has never bitten anyone and never would though he is wary of strangers. Last weekend I was working in my front yard a little bit and my dog wandered away from me. He ususally sticks really close to me but he went across the street and barked at my neigbor. I told him to come back and I put him in the backyard. End of story right? No.

Today the lady came up to my wife when she was leaving (I wasn't home) and basically threatened a lawsuit, call the SPCA, Sheriff's Department and in more words or less told her to get rid of the dog. I found this hard to believe so I went over to talk to them and they told me the same thing. They used the word lawsuit about 3 times in one minute and I told them I don't appreciate the threats and they said they weren't threatening, they were the ones being neighborly All of my neighbors are old (perhaps a bit senile) and retired and have nothing to do all day.

Anyways, barring my dog actually biting them should I be worried? What does a dog have to do for it to be removed by the Sheriff's or SPCA? And here's a picture if your curious.
A pet owner has the responsibility to have their dog under their control at all times. No one should have to deal with someone else's pet on their property. Even if the dog is not aggressive and there is no threat of harm, that does not prevent the dog from urinating and defecating on other people's property which is just plain rude.

When your dog is outside it should be on a leash or tether. How would you have felt if it had been hit while crossing the street? Would you let your two year old run around the neighborhood unsupervised? Well, then you shouldn't let your dog do it either.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
purdy heeler!!

if you want your dog in the front yard with you while you work, you're going to have to get a lead to tie him out on ........ i don't think you have anything to worry about right now..... but if it happens again, there could be consequences......

Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
It depends on what the law is in your city/county. The lawsuit is just a threat IMO but most places have a leash law. If your dog was on their property then they can call and complain however, unless they took a picture it becomes a he said, she said unless other ppl have complained.

I volunteer at our local shelter and the ACO has been called because ppl could not leave their house because of a dog on their front porch. A chihuahua!! Point is it is their yard and your dog barked at them. I have 7 dogs and I wouldn't want a dog in my yard barking at me.

Keep your dog on a leash and in your yard for everyone's safety. He is a pretty dog..

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
Your dog is adorable. Like the others said, keep him on a lead when in the front yard with you. I think you need to beware of neighbors who threaten. If someone has mentioned lawsuit 3 times in a conversation, that may be a way of supplementing their income, if you know what I mean. There are people like that. Keep your distance from them and do not give them any reason to call the SPCA or the sherriff's office because they will call. I had neighbors like that years ago. However, our local cops were supportive of me, so let's hope that's the case with you. People like your neighbors will also lie about your dog, so be aware.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
First off....what a handsome guy!
Sure, your neighbors probably over-reacted...but....Obviously, they don't think so. They may have a great fear of dogs. And, they have every right to be in their front yard, without being frightened by a loose dog. It is your responsibility as a dog owner to have your dog under control every nano second. "Usually" stays with me..is not an excuse. Check your cities leash laws...Most have them in place, and you were in violation. Doubtful if a lawsuit could come from a loose dog...but they sure could fine you. And the fine will only become steeper with each violation.
Easy enough...if your out working in the yard and want the dog with you, you'll have to tie him somewhere...lesson learned.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Your dog is adorable. Like the others said, keep him on a lead when in the front yard with you. I think you need to beware of neighbors who threaten. If someone has mentioned lawsuit 3 times in a conversation, that may be a way of supplementing their income, if you know what I mean. There are people like that. Keep your distance from them and do not give them any reason to call the SPCA or the sherriff's office because they will call. I had neighbors like that years ago. However, our local cops were supportive of me, so let's hope that's the case with you. People like your neighbors will also lie about your dog, so be aware.
I agree!
I did the tie out in the front when we were edging the lawn and once Edison started getting all vocal when people were out and about, I took him back inside. Trying to train my dog to stop barking at everyone!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
This is exactly why "good fences make good neighbors". Sorry you have what may appear to be a litigeous neighbor. Guess you now know that neighbor will be looking for every excuse to find your dog off your property and file a complaint.

Keep the dog leashed when outside of the fenced yard and don't expect to develop a lasting friendship with the neighbor.

Good luck with that. Too bad we can't choose our neighbors. That one sounds like a very bitter person. But what do you expect, you have a very sweet dog and that one apparently does not. Lucky you!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
When I first saw your post in the listings, I thought it was going to be another complaint about a neighbor's dog! I am a dog owner, but I am also a neighbor of dog owners, so I can see the situation from both sides.

From reading your post, I wonder if you realize that who your dog is to strangers, particularly when you are away, is not the same dog as when you are home.

I also wonder if your neighbors have been displeased with your dog's behavior for awhile, and only now has the situation reached that critical point where they are vocalizing it.

I just came back from a walk with my Bigun, during which we passed a cattle dog that looked very much like your own -- very sweet, until we came in front of his fence. At that point, it did a very good impersonation of Cujo. Bigun loves everybody, and thought the dog was just playing, so he pranced up to the fence to nose in, and the dog "clipped" him. We hurried off, knowing when another means "business."

It might be that your neighbors have had a similar situation, and just have not said anything. Being elderly, they might be of the culture to not say anything that isn't nice -- until they couldn't help themselves.

So, I'd give them another chance. Rather than telling them how sweet your dog is, why not ask them what the grounds would be for this lawsuit? Don't defend yourself, or your dog, just seek information as kindly as you are able, and do a lot of listening.

Listening often solves a lot of personal problems, I've learned. Someone told me it's why we have two ears, and only one mouth. (Wish I'd gotten the message much, much sooner!)

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
You probably don't have much to worry about at this point but it seems that you've been given a big hint to be vigilant about the leash and keep your dog on his best behavior. They seem to be willing to enforce the rules with the nuclear option so its time for you to learn exactly what those rules are.

Don't get adversarial with litigious people; you often have to kill them to win an argument. It's probably easier to hit the ignore button, manage your dog in accordance with the rules and quietly enjoy a nice, satisfying hate-hate relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs