Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I think they should cancel the contest. Figure out to play the fair way.
I still think the collar will be worn by Chances owner or SHOULD BE.
Poor Chance....
They did!

I wrote something on their Facebook wall about how I thought it was rigged. I think that MAK did too. I don't know if that initiated the contest's closing or if it was just the last two nails in the coffin, but the person running the contest was VERY peeved at the whole cheating situation.

If you click on the link to the contest -- the one on the first page of this thread -- you'll see this:

Due to cheaters trying to abuse the system and take advantage of our monthly free contests we have put a halt to this month's contest and the finalists will have to revote which causes a delay. You cheaters should be ashamed of yourself for ruining it for everyone involved. The limit is one vote per day, and instead multiple votes are being made through generated IP address in the office during the work week. After investigation of our server logs we have found that multiple IPs are voting back to back from the same visit which indicates cheating and inaccurate votes. This is really disturbing because it puts the monthly contests in jeapordy entirely.

We will update this page once voting for this month has returned. We apologize to those that are participating and fairly doing so. There are always a few bad apples that ruin it for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:27 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
What a let down! Though Chance is a cute dog, he's clearly no match for PC...it's so pathetic that someone would put all that energy into cheating just for a collar...sad, sad, sad. But at least we all know who the REAL winner of that contest is...btw, I want to join his FB fan page, too...LOL!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:50 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,272,742 times
Great job calling them on this issue Dawn. High 4 dog paw to you :-)

So when or if the new contest starts.... will we be able to vote for our dear sweet PC ? Hope so...
We are PC's Aunts & Uncles, ya know.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Great job calling them on this issue Dawn. High 4 dog paw to you :-)

MAK made the discovery that it was rigged -- high 4 dog paws to HER! I had no idea.

I just had the big mouth and wrote something when MAK said that she couldn't write anything on their FB page because PC was a contestant. I could because, well, because I have a big mouth.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:16 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,475,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I will say, in all fairness and in good faith, it should be one vote per person per day...not a vote at work and a vote at home. To do otherwise is cheating. So I will vote for PC, but just once a day. Good luck PC!
This is the only way to vote fairly. I was voting for PC - once a day - until I saw that some people were voting twice per day. Two times a day or a hundred times a day, it's still cheating.

I agree this whole thing was rigged. But I don't go along with "calling out" anyone. An email to the owner would've sufficed & withdrawing PC would've had enough of an impact on the site to stop the cheating. But to call out someone publicly, including the website, isn't too cool in my book, unless they refused to act. At least give them a chance to make it right and deal with the cheater.

And didn't this "calling out" business happen before by naming a famous dog-trainer? Sorry folks, I know I'll p*** most of you off, but I'm sure you wouldn't like the same thing happening to you.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Thanks, guys! I just figured out that I can get in 2 votes a day from my laptop. I have Firefox and Safari browsers, so one from each. Took me long enough to figure that one out!
Isn't this cheating?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
This is the only way to vote fairly. I was voting for PC - once a day - until I saw that some people were voting twice per day. Two times a day or a hundred times a day, it's still cheating.

I agree this whole thing was rigged. But I don't go along with "calling out" anyone. An email to the owner would've sufficed & withdrawing PC would've had enough of an impact on the site to stop the cheating. But to call out someone publicly, including the website, isn't too cool in my book, unless they refused to act. At least give them a chance to make it right and deal with the cheater.

And didn't this "calling out" business happen before by naming a famous dog-trainer? Sorry folks, I know I'll p*** most of you off, but I'm sure you wouldn't like the same thing happening to you.
I didn't call them out publicly. The contest has a Facebook page. I posted on their wall asking if it was possible that people were voting multiple times per day from their office because, Monday through Friday, the votes for the other dog always skyrocketed and it's typical that offices wouldn't have fixed IP addresses, therefore allowing people to vote many, many times per day.

The owner of the contest and Facebook page looked into it right away, was clearly upset that people were cheating, and closed down the contest. There was nothing terrible about it -- I told them what was going on after MAK pointed it out. The owner of the contest had no idea and was clearly appalled about what had taken place.

It was all on the up and up, and wasn't nasty in the least.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,475,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
There was nothing terrible about it -- I told them what was going on after MAK pointed it out. The owner of the contest had no idea and was clearly appalled about what had taken place.

It was all on the up and up, and wasn't nasty in the least.
I was referring to calling out the other dog's owner,not the fact that you brought the issue to the attention of the site owner.

I know you wouldn't do anything malicious or nasty to anyone, D.

If a person starts a fire and then yells fire in a crowded room, runs out the side door, and leaves others to put it out while watching the mayhem, I think that sucks. They exit smelling like a rose. Obtuse, I know, but I'm going to leave it at that.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I was referring to calling out the other dog's owner,not the fact that you brought the issue to the attention of the site owner.

I know you wouldn't do anything malicious or nasty to anyone, D.

If a person starts a fire and then yells fire in a crowded room, runs out the side door, and leaves others to put it out while watching the mayhem, I think that sucks. They exit smelling like a rose. Obtuse, I know, but I'm going to leave it at that.
I didn't take offense, nor was I insulted by your post. I just wanted to explain how it went down so that everyone would know.

And just as you know that I wouldn't do anything malicious or nasty, I know you would take me aside privately if you had anything to say to me. It's all good, my sweet friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs