Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,739 times

Advertisements

I am taking the pup in tomorow morning and I am sure they will biopsy this. It's right at her lip. I hope it turns out to be just a wart.

I read that stimulation of a MAST cell tumor can cause hives. Codie has had welts on her leg from "probably an allergic reaction" and it seems to occur after she has been at daycare. Since dogs bite each others faces when playing, that would explain the hives. I'm kinda scared.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
paws tightly crossed that it is nothing to worry about...........

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
Hoping for the best for Codie!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
paws tightly crossed that it is nothing to worry about...........
Mine are too. And Artie's also.

I can't tell how raised that bump is, but just to let you know that I saw a pimple-like "thing" right at Artie's lip once too. It went away on its own. I'm hoping the same goes for Codie's zit. I'm calling it a zit -- that way I'm ensuring myself that it's no big whoop. I hope I'm right.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Now I am really quite scared. I shouldn't read on the internet, but I remember discussions before about possible MAST cell in one of my prior dogs. Even the biopsy can be dangerous. And it's on her lip and that is bad. And she has the hives/welts which is a symptom of mast. It would actually explain a lot.

And my regular vet of over 15 years is on vacation until the beginning of August, so I am seeing someone else in the practice. Oh man, I wish she wasn't out right now.

Thanks for the well wishes for Codie....I am praying it's just a "zit"

Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Sending positive thoughts in hopes that this bump is nothing. During Dash's life he had tons of odd bumps even one that suddenly doubled in size but none of them turned out to be cancer.

I know how you feel about your regular vet not being there when you wish he was as the one that doubled in size did so while I was at my mom's and had made the decision to start my leave of absence to take care of her as she had stopped her chemo and was on a down hill course. I did have to run home ( 120 miles) to get some things so took Dash and called my regular vet. He was on vacation and they were booked for the day but when I explained things one of the vets who was actually just filling in for him said he could take a look so he did then having heard my whole story he gave up his lunch to take that bump and two others off with out general anesthesia so Dash would be good to go when I was later that day. Later when he called with biopsy results it was all good news. Dash always seemed to need the vet the most when he was on Vacation or they were closed for the day...he had bad timing that is for sure. I guess I am telling you this so you relax as this vet was one that just fills in for different vets and he was fantastic. I liked him as much as I did my regular vet and I love him as he is great.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
I knew a dog who had the same growth on the same spot. It was just a wart and they snipped it off and that was that. I will be hoping for the same outcome for Codie!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:24 PM

The vet aspirated the growths (there are now 4 of them, all on her lips/mouth!) and they will read the slides early next week. She doesn't think it's mast cell. As I was walking out, she came out from the back and said "wait" and gave me a copy of an article about canine warts. Common in young dogs, very common on lips, the pictures look just like what Codie has....

So, now it's a matter of waiting for the slides to be read. I feel much better. The thing that's really bothering me is the hives. She has more new hives today, on her tummy, armpits, etc. That scares me due to the supposed relationship of mast to hives, and what else would be causing her to have hives? But...I must just wait for the results.

It's unbelievable that today there are now 4 masses! I wonder how many there will be tomorrow?

Is it just a myth that eating toads causes warts? Because hunting toads is her new obsession (it's so disgusting and she tried to bring one into the house last week). But it's an odd coincidence that she's mouthing toads and getting warts (that is, hopefully they're just warts).

FINGERS CROSSED!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:30 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Me and my Maltese are crossing fingers and paws for dear Codie.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Me and my Maltese are crossing fingers and paws for dear Codie.
as are bailey and dave and i ..........

and even kitties charlie and max......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs