Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever used one of those coupler things where you hook one leash and walk two dogs using that? Does it really work? Can they still get tangled up or are they forced to walk on "their" side? This is what I'm talking about, in case there's confusion!

Petmate Take Two Adjustable Leash Extension in Black at PETCO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Has anyone ever used one of those coupler things where you hook one leash and walk two dogs using that? Does it really work? Can they still get tangled up or are they forced to walk on "their" side? This is what I'm talking about, in case there's confusion!

Petmate Take Two Adjustable Leash Extension in Black at PETCO
My friend with two Labs got one. They got tangled up, and he doesn't use it anymore. One of the dogs walks faster than the other. The other likes to "roam." They often criss-crossed in each other's path. Hence, a tangled mess.

Your mileage may vary though -- I'd give it a shot, for sure.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Yea, if they criss cross, it won't work. That's the issue, this left, right walking, no one can pick a side! It drives me crazy!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I don't THINK what my friend got was different from the one you linked to, but looking at the photo, the straps look too short to criss cross, don't they? For $10, I think you should try it. If it doesn't work, sell it on Craigslist, eBay it, or give it to a shelter. But I think it's worth a try.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
i got one for when i take bailey and dave to petsmart..... i imagine with more training it would work well .... but i have the same issue of them getting themselves tangled on and around each other..... one wants to check something out over THERE and the other wants to sniff something over HERE..... and since dave is so much taller than bailey, she usually gets the short end of THAT stick......

Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Years ago at an agiliy show I saw these two guys selling these leashes and accessories. I listened to the sales pitch then tried the product I was interesed in and got two flex extension leads.( I just looked at their website and they have gotten somewhat expensive but I still have mine and love them) . I got two flex extensions that I can then clip both to the clip on any leash I have and because that clip does swivel if the dogs change postitions as we walk it swivels so the extensions do not get tangled. Later I added a coupler and got a third flex so I could walk 3 at once and it worked OK but not as well.

I used the two flex extensions for walking Jazz and Dash and they were forever shoving each other out of place so that they could walk beside me and we never had tangled leases. so check out the website as I say I got them before the business really took off so have had mine for years. bUt your leash must have a clip that swivels in order for it to work which I think is standard on most leashes. I even used it on my Flexi leash and it worked great. I have no vested interest in this company I am just a very satisfied customer.

http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe...g_leashes.html

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Ooh, the Flex leash looks pretty cool! And I didn't consider one thing...do these things even work with the easy walk harness? Those are the ones where the leash clips in the front, not on the dog's back. I imagine it would be hard to use any of these with a easy walk harness.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,511 times
I had one of these once but ended up giving it away. For me and my two furbutts it was difficult as one walked faster than the other each one wanted to go in a differant direction. Let me qualify that though at the time my Lab mix was just a puppy and the Westie was older so of course the pup was a bit more ambitious. If both dogs walk at pretty much the same pace and don't mind walking side by side then in my opinion it would probably work quite well.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Ooh, the Flex leash looks pretty cool! And I didn't consider one thing...do these things even work with the easy walk harness? Those are the ones where the leash clips in the front, not on the dog's back. I imagine it would be hard to use any of these with a easy walk harness.

Mak I am sure if you called the company and asked them if it would work with a the easy walk harness they would be able to tell you. The guys I met years ago were very helpful and even let me take the flexi extensions home for the night and pay for them the next day if I had decided I liked them which I did. It was a 2 day event here in SB so they knew I would be back the next day or at least they trusted that I would! That said I often walk Jazz with a gentle leader on so she would be on that and Dash on his flat buckle collar and it worked fine as it is bungee and absorbs any shock from a pull and even makes the dogs sort of self brake as they feel the pull on it. And to any one that feels that will damage the dogs neck as some seem to feel that about a head harnness let alone using it on such a leash at 14 Jazz has no neck issues and she has used this combo for at least 11- 12 years.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:30 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
We used this on our two Lhasa Apso and they didn't have any trouble with it, but they got along well anyway. We stopped using it because of the hassles it presented when one needed to exit to the grass to take care of private business. Things got tangled -- and messy. Two leads was easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs