Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Mak you really do know your stuff girl you go !!! Orijen all the way for my dogs !!!
Glad to hear your pups like Orijen! After my cat's death, I vowed to never put my pet's life into someone else's hands again. My friend owns a pet store here in San Diego and always contacts me to research food that he should carry. So many want him to carry their line, but he limits it to only the best. So far, none of the stuff he has was ever recalled. I've been in communication with countless companies, many which are new and popped up after the recall, to ensure that what they say is really true. Some great, lesser known companies out there! I scrutinize each and every ingredient to ensure they are suitable for pets. I also call and to find out where they get their vitamins, since many companies import from China. Again, Orijen and Acana are in the minority, where not a single thing they use comes from China and they can trace the source of every single ingredient. Can't say that about Diamond foods.

I firmly believe that until you see your healthy pet turn to mush and die in a matter of weeks, you will never know the impact that recall had on pets and their owners. I miss my Cookie and wish she didn't die the way she did. I still remember how she dragged her very sick, thin body to the litter box because she was just too modest to pee outside the litter box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 753 times
Thumbs down diamond dog food

i have a black lab mixed and i have just put her on diamond dog food and i have had her for 4 years and today she haad puled her hair on her back out she has been every gassy and one nnight she even throw up she has ony been on it for two weeks and tomarrow im changing dog food

Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
it's better if you change the food gradually, no abruptly - 70% old food/30% new food for a few days, then 50% old/50% new for a few days , then 30% old food/70% new food for a few days - it takes a while esp. if your dog has a sensitive stomach

Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Honeycrisp is right you need to do it gradually. What Diamond food? Does it have corn or wheat? Many folks who post here believe in feeding good dog food.

Put 1-2 tbs plain yogurt in the food to combat the gas.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,701,662 times
My GSD Storm eats it and seem to have good luck with it. We do add either some chicken, hot dogs or cheese for special treats because Storm is amazing.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 508 times
I have feed Diamond Premium Dog Food to my adult dogs for over 5 years. I breed and sale to loving families, and have had great puppies till a little less than a year ago. I started having puppies die when they were off their mother for about two weeks. At that time They were nibbling on their mothers Dog Food. This would get better at times and then hit a whole litter. Then around Oct. Nov. and December it got terrible. The symptoms were diarrhea and vomiting and lathergic. We had numerous tests at our vet and he could find nothing at all except intestinal gastointestinal destress. I was wondering if anyone has had this to happen.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
it's better if you change the food gradually, no abruptly - 70% old food/30% new food for a few days, then 50% old/50% new for a few days , then 30% old food/70% new food for a few days - it takes a while esp. if your dog has a sensitive stomach
That is good advice, particularly with the better quality kibbles, even if the dog does not have a sensitive stomach. Good quality kibble will contain probiotics, which aid in the dog's digestion. A gradual change in their food is advised in order for the dog to get use to the new probiotics. A rapid change in their diet could lead to diarrhea or other gastrointestinal problems.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedmaya View Post
i have a black lab mixed and i have just put her on diamond dog food and i have had her for 4 years and today she haad puled her hair on her back out she has been every gassy and one nnight she even throw up she has ony been on it for two weeks and tomarrow im changing dog food
It sounds like she may have food allergies. 90% of all fur and skin problems on dogs can be traced back to their diet. Make a note of the ingreidients in her current dog food and the new dog food you will be getting. If the problem persists, see a vet and get her tested for allergies.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Report it to your vet in case it's salmonella.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 AM

2,769 posts, read 404,977 times
Most labs need a grain free, poultry free food. They are really alergic to corn and chicken so choosing a grain free, poultry free formula is pretty much a must. Ours are on Salmon food and also we put salmon oil in with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs