Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM

48 posts, read 175,971 times

Advertisements

Last night, I had went over to a friend's place...and he has a chihuhua (spelling?)

Well, the 1st time I came over it was nice and friendly and let me pet it etc. But yesterday, I bent over to pet it and it aggressively chewed on my hand leaving me with 2 lacerations and a cut. I briefly started to cry because I have NEVER been bit by someone elses dog to cause me to bleed as much as I did.

I've had a tetnus shot several months ago, but should I be concerned about rabies? Should I look into getting a personal injury attorney?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Attorney? Not if you value your friendship. You mention an attorney instead of seeing a doctor. I'd get checked out to see if there is an infection. Rabies is very unlikely.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
I suggest you communicate with your friend to determine if the dog is current on its vaccinations. It seems reasonable to speak to the dog's owner before doing anything else. Did the bite require you to seek medical attention? If you have medical expenses due to this bite, talk to you friend about it and try to resolve it amicably.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Had the dog been vaccinated for rabies? If so -- and even if not -- it's so unlikely that you contracted rabies.

Seeking an attorney? Maybe it's because I'm from Canada, but it shocks me how litigious this country is. And to seek an attorney to sue your FRIEND? Can't you work it out outside of a courtroom? My gosh.

This will be the most helpful: Bending over to pet the dog may have been the problem. Hovering over a small dog -- or any dog, for that matter -- would have been seen as dominant and aggression in the eyes of a dog. Next time -- ??? -- kneel down and put your hand out so that the dog can sniff it first. When you sense that the dog is comfortable with you, you can reach UNDER the dog's chin to rub it, never OVER their head.

Edited to add: I'm sorry if the above sounded cold-hearted. I'm sorry that you got bitten and hurt. I really am. I would have been shocked (and probably cried) as well, and I'd probably be very upset but not to the point of suing.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Wow is there any redness or have you considered going to the dr ? my god running to an attorney is probably the last thing you want to do why would you ruin a friendship over a small bite (I own chihuahuas ) I know that the bite is not that serious from a chihuahua . I would just check with the friend and make sure the dog is UTD (up to date) on vaccines and keep your wounds clean and check them . Mercy cannot believe someone would sue a friend over a dog bite .

Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
This will be the most helpful: Bending over to pet the dog may have been the problem. Hovering over a small dog -- or any dog, for that matter -- would have been seen as dominant and aggression in the eyes of a dog.
Well, I should re-phrase, I didnt bend over it. I had kneeled down and as I reached under its chin and front legs, it started chewing away at my hand. It wasn't even the playful bites that dogs normally give...It literally wanted to kill me!

It was only the 2nd time I had been over at their place and seen my friend. I feel that an attorney would not be out of line because people need to train their dogs not to bite people. I had a dog who was friendly to EVERYBODY and would never bite if someone reached out to grab it. I hadn't sought medical attention but my hand feels a bit banged up and Im not sure the cuts will close by themselves even though its not bleeding.

I have noticed people's dogs are a reflection of themselves....and they should be responsible for their little demons.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Here are a few tips for the next time you want to pet a dog that is not your own.

Never stand or lean over a dog to pet it.
Always notice the dogs behavour and position before petting it.
Let the dog come to you to be petted rather than you going to the dog.
Never pet a dog that is eating.
Never pet a dog that is chewing on a toy.

I do suggest that you find out from the owner if the dog has been vaccinated for rabies. See a Doctor if the bite looks infected or requires stitches

And finally -never contact an attorney when the way you approached the dog could be in question. (See tip #1)

Also from your other posts...you want to make this the 4th lawsuit for you this year? If thats the case - be my guest and hire an attorney but I doubt you will get anything from it. You didn't seek medical care, you approached the dog and the dog was in its own house.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 07-26-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Here is a few tips for the next time you want to pet a dog that is not your own.

Also from your other posts...you want to make this the 4th lawsuit for you this year? If thats the case - be my guest and hire an attorney but I doubt you will get anything from it. You didn't seek medical care, you approached the dog and the dog was in its own house.
How about tips to others to keep their dogs locked up when VISITORS are coming over instead of letting it roam free like a baby?

Regardless of fault...if it was serious enough that my hand became infected and needed to be amputated, do you seriously think I wouldn't have a case?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
OMG It was a chihuahua! I assure you, amputation won't be required. You knew they had a dog yet willingly went to their house. People know I have dogs. My dogs do not get locked away on their house when someone comes over. It's their house. You shouldn't have gone there esp since they don't appear to be that good of friends if you're looking to sue.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
I am just going to say this, and please keep in mind I am saying it will all due respect, some posts are unbelievable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.