Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,999 times

Advertisements

Obviously we will be going to the vet!

But here's what happened. The day my kids came home from summer vacation, my baby ended the evening with a pretty runny poop. Which has never happened before. I figured it was all the excitement from the boys coming home after being gone for 2 months and they were running around playing with her which she had not done since they left. The diarrhea lasted for 2 days. She ate and drank normally those 2 days, and played with no problem.

Then she had 3 or 4 days of normal poop. Then the diarrhea came back. I can not believe she did not go in my house! Because the second we got to the grass it was explosively runny. So then I'm thinking, it can't be the kids homecoming, maybe it's her food. I switched over a month ago from TOTW prairie to TOTW bison. I thought it odd that there would be such a latent problem, but I thought maybe the meat just really wasn't for her now that she had plenty of time to adjust to the changover and be on it 100% for a few weeks. Again the diarrhea lasted 2 days, she ate and drank like normal and played with no problem, although she did eat grass when we were at the park.

So I decided that I would buy the other stuff and change her back - which I was going to do a week from that day - which is tomorrow - as it's payday. So then there was another week of normal poop. I came home today and she had runny pooped all over her crate and threw up! I'm so glad my crate is way to big for her, cause she didn't have to lay in it, she just pushed the nasty blanket to the back and layed on the plastic. So I get her out and run her outside like I always do. She gets to the grass and goes runny again. She stops, walks a little, and then squats to go again, but it is only blood! Not a lot, maybe 2 teaspoons. But it was blood!! So after the clean up - thank god for carpet scrubbers, just as I roll the cleaner - which I just cleaned - into the closet she squated in the hall and went again. It was a mix of runny poop and blood.

I don't understand it, why if she's sick has she been eating and acting normal? This is really freaking me out. It's not constant and she is eating so the e-vet said not to bring her in, that she can wait. Which I do agree with, but I just wondered if any one had any ideas on what the heck is wrong with her. I'm trying google after I post this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
HGE - hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Maybe. My dog had it and just ate a lttle less than usual. The smell is disgusting and you will never forget it. Easily treated with Flagyl. Good lcuk with your poor fur-baby!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Baby Kaopectate will help, then give water and go with the boil hamburg or chicken with rice. Pumkin not pie stuff also will help. Baby food mixed with boiled rice also. Skip the dog food for awhile, cottage cheese
etc. are all bland! My 2 dogs had this when I moved and that was what I was told after the vet bill! Mostly a vet will tell this and get off the dog food
as long as the dog has water and is acting fine. immodiam also helps, sorry about the spelling, but give it on dogs lbs.

Last edited by maggiekate; 09-10-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
My Beau has had a similar problem, except that he has not vomited at all.
And his appetite is as insatiable as ever.
The vet wondered if the diarrhea was emotional, and timewise, it has tied in with Elwood being under the weather and then finally dying.
Beau is now on some pills, metro-something.
The problem is, I don't think Beau can do dairy. I had been putting the meds in cheese, I'm not going to do that anymore. I just put them on top of his kibble and he gobbles everything up.
Hope your baby gets better soon.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Rocky the 5 lb yorkie has HGE and he had blood in the stool . He would be fine for a couple of days and then start with diarrhea again at first and then he started vomiting which had blood in it too.. Then he stopped eating and did not drink water. The vet told me that if I hadn't brought him in when I did he would not have made it. He blood was like sludge.

If your dog has blood in both, please take to the vet ASAP.

I change between the 2 TOTW foods and it hasn't affected any of my 7 dogs.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
..............Beau is now on some pills, metro-something.
The problem is, I don't think Beau can do dairy. I had been putting the meds in cheese, I'm not going to do that anymore. I just put them on top of his kibble and he gobbles everything up.
Hope your baby gets better soon.
Probably metronidazole (not sure spelled correctly) the generic for Flagyl.

I bought some Pill Pockets at the vets for hiding the pills, you can also get them at any pet store. They are the best! My pill spitter/hold-in-the- mouth-forever guy just gobbles them down. I have to split another one in half for the other dogs as they smell it and want it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Probably metronidazole (not sure spelled correctly) the generic for Flagyl.
That's it!
Thanks for the Pill Pocket advice.
Fortunately, Beau just gobbled everything down as is, pills and all.
There is nothing wrong with his appetite.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
I hope your baby feels better soon...and I'm very glad you're taking him to the vet, he'll need metronidizole to stop the vomiting/diarrhea, and if he's vomiting he'll probably need it IV instead of by mouth, at least until it calms down and he isn't nauseated anymore. I'm surprised the E-vet told you not to bring him in...not very smart of them, he needs hydration whether he's eating/drinking regularly or not if he's having blow-outs and vomit episodes, and medecine to treat those things!!! Once he's back on track, I second the motion for bland food (not kibble)...you may want to consult a nutritionist &/or allergist who can help guide you to a good, healthy diet for him...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs