Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times

Advertisements

My 8-year-old dog has had diarrhea for the past week -- completely liquid.

Now...I've learned through the years of being a dog-mom to assess what I call Bandit's vital signs in the case of doggy-sickness (that's not something injury-related): appetite, hydration, peeing, pooping, mood, and energy/strength. If all of that is more or less on-target, I don't rush to the vet. I gauge his vital signs and give it a little time to see what happens.

Right now, even though he has diarrhea, his appetite is good, his water-intake is normal, he's peeing a normal amount, his energy is normal, his mood is normal. He doesn't act like he feels puny. And even though he has the runs, he seems able to control it -- we haven't had any accidents in the house at all.

So I'm going to try a few things at home for a few more days, and if he's still not better -- showing at least a little solidification of his stool -- by, say, Thursday, I'll take him to the vet. I've taken him off his kibble (because it seems to me that his darrhea started roughly the same time I opened a fresh bag of kibble, the same brand/flavor he'd been on before) and I'm feeding him multiple small meals of chicken and oatmeal (or rice). Yesterday was our first day of that, but today was runny too. Then today I started him on acidophilis (sp?) to try to restore his healthy flora, and I'm adding a little bit of honey and salt to his water to try to restore his electrolytes.

Is there anything else, homeopathically, that I could be doing for him right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 02:22 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
maybe check with the kibble manufacturer to see if they have changed something in their formulation......otherwise, sounds like you are doing everything that can be done for him at home.... its good that he seems to be feeling ok.....

Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post

Is there anything else, homeopathically, that I could be doing for him right now?
Slippery elm is brilliant stuff for stopping/soothing digestive upset.

Also, FWIW, I'd stay off the oatmeal and just stick to the rice for the moment. White rice is by far the easiest for the dog's digestive tract to deal with.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Please get your dog to a vet. More than two days of diarrhea is dangerous - dehydration, electrolyte depletion, etc.

If he'll eat, cook up some white rice with PLENTY (i.e. too much) chicken broth and OVERCOOK it, so that it's easier to digest. NO BROWN RICE: it has too much fiber and just makes dogs defecate MORE often. Also add some POACHED chicken WHITE meat to that (the dark meat is too greasy).

But most important, get him to a vet. Please.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Please get your dog to a vet. More than two days of diarrhea is dangerous - dehydration, electrolyte depletion, etc.
But most important, get him to a vet. Please.
Thanks for your concern. I just wanted to reassure you that I'm watching him very carefully and I'm not being neglectful. I'm very attuned to his hydration levels, etc. He's drinking well.

There are many sites I've consulted online that clearly state that most cases of acute diarrhea can be treated at home. For instance, this one: Treating Acute Diarrhea And Chronic Diarrhea in Dogs states that dogs that can be watched at home (rather than immediately taken to the vet for a consult) will act reasonably normal the whole time: eating, drinking, playing as normal. This is the case with Bandit.

He's not vomiting or regurgitating, and his appetite is very good, and I can hear burbles in his intestines, so I do feel confident that he doesn't have a blockage. (Plus, he's not the type of dog to eat stuff off the ground, so I'm not worried that he ate a stone or piece of wood or sock or anything like that.)

I'll definitely take him to the vet if things change for the worst or if the rice and chicken doesn't seem to bind him up.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:16 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,514 times
I'm sure you are a great pet parent. However, I must agree with ViralMD on this one. Take him to the vet asap. Soft stool is one thing, and can be treated accordingly, but liquid stool is very dangerous.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Slippery elm is brilliant stuff for stopping/soothing digestive upset.
What dosing guidelines do you use with the slippery elm?

To the OP, I hope your dog is doing better soon.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,179 times
We just went through this. For 3 weeks, my dog had diarrhea and would randomly vomit, usually in the middle of the night. I took him to the vet multiple times, each time him telling me that there is nothing wrong and that I'm overreacting. They did a stool sample, and once thought they saw giardia, then said they couldn't find anything wrong with him. He continued to have diarrhea, and I dropped off a stool sample again. He refused to run it, saying that he already told me he's fine and there is nothing he can do. So I am looking for a new vet.

If you find out what the issue is, let me know. Mine stopped the vomiting for now, and the poop is slowly getting back to normal, but I'm afraid it will go back to being liquid again. I tried a heavy dose of probiotics, he was on Flagyl because they originaly thought he had giardia, tried the bland diet and nothing worked. My vet assured us it wasn't contagious and that he's fine, but one of his playmates just developed the same symptoms, and I really think he got it from my dog.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Giardia is VERY difficult to detect. The stool needs to be VERY FRESH and in large volumes.

But I wouldn't rely on websites for veterinary advice. Would you rely on a website to diagnose abdominal pain in a person? It could be nothing or it could be life threatening, but unless an exam is done by a doctor, it's hard to describe what makes it one or the other. Same with your dog.

Please bring him to the vet.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Giardia is VERY difficult to detect. The stool needs to be VERY FRESH and in large volumes.
And that is why I highly doubted their diagnosis, especially given his other symptoms. He kept trying to treat the symptoms instead of looking for why he's having diarrhea. My last straw was when he prescribed Amforal, without doing any kind of diagnostic test, and I refused to give it to him. This was after being prescribed antibiotics 8 different times last year, most over the phone. I also still have almost all of them, since I'm not giving him antibiotics on a monthly basis. His diarrhea improved on his own and I hope he stays that way from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs