Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM

31 posts, read 75,338 times

Advertisements

I know, this is not a pleasant topic but I've had and raised dogs all my life and this little guy (My lab Socrates) is giving me a run for my money.
I purchsed him when he was 6wks old and took him to the Vet for his routine 6 wks shots and dewormer, all is good other than his runny bowels. It's not like it's out of control, Just every time he goes poop it's in no way formed like it should be. I understand I changed his puppy food from what the breeder had him on which was beneful and I put him on Science Diet which is what my 14 yr old and 13 yr old schnauzers are on. But Science Diet doesn't seem to agree with my lab pup so I did some research and bought him Solid Gold, which he liked but also didn't agree with his belly and again we still have a diarrhea problem. I have given him 100% pumpkin which seemed to work for a while, but then I noticed worms in his bowels, eeeww never eating spaghetti again for sure!! But anyway my Vet sent home 3 vials with dewormer in it which has taken care of the problem and I thought finally he's going to have normal bowel movements! Wrong!! So now I'm done with the pumpkin, done with the science diet and solid gold and for the next 3 days I gave him nothing but boiled chicken and rice which helped a bunch!! gradually moved him over to a different dog food called "Wellness Just for Puppys" crossing my fingers hoping this works!!
Since I've been doing a lot of reading I've learned that not many people care much for Science Diet, why is that??
Also does anyone know anything about "Wellness just for Puppies" and has anyone had this problem with any of their puppies? Maybe it's because he's cutting teeth???
I'm at a loss, someone throw me a bone LOL
By the way, he's 12 weeks old now and is full of energy and happy as can be and today I started him on 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt in the AM and PM ~ right or wrong??
Thanks~
Cindy

Last edited by Loving Labs; 11-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Left something out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 03:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Several thoughts on this. On the outside chance that this is a legitimate post full of hot topic questions I will offer my opinion.

First off 6 weeks is too young to be taken away from mom & litter mates. A reputable breeder would never sell a puppy that young. Of course, a reputable breeder would not feed Beneful.

Are you changing his diet all of a sudden or are you easing him into the new food? Sudden changes in diet lead to upset stomach and loose stools.

Pick a food and stick with it! Changing it all of the time is not helping.

Science Diet is nothing but fillers and chemicals. Read the ingredient panel.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
I always recommend Wellness Puppy for dogs under 1, then switch them to a grainless formula. I've known many people with puppies that had issues with various foods, but Wellness worked every single time. It's also the only puppy food on the market with DHA.

Science Diet is nothing but grains and fillers and preservatives, your puppy can't digest any of it.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
You will find many threads on dog food here. Most of us are not big fans of Science Diet since it contains 'corn'.

Check here for info on different dog foods. If you read the analyst you will understand how the foods were rated.
Dog Food Ratings by Brand

I agree with the advise above, My only other comment is as long as the stools are not runny I wouldn't worry too much. He is still a baby after all.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:47 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Wellness for puppies is a good food, sticking with it for a while should hopefully help. I'm also a big fan of yogurt, my dogs get it daily.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Racelady ~ My post was very legit and I agree about the beneful and was surprised myself to find out that she had the puppies on it as well. She said this is her first litter of pups that she has ever had with her dogs so maybe she doesn't have the knowledge needed, she also told me he was almost 8 wks when I purchased him and I found out differently when I got his papers from her.
Yes I am gradually changing his food over and introducing it at a very slow pace. Although when I brought him home for the first time I did not gradually change him over, I put him on science diet first thing and then shocked with how he reacted to it. I've always trusted science diet because that is what my vet said to use, but since the purchase of my lab I'm re thinking the whole science diet for all my pets.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM

MAK802 ~ Thank you very much for the info on Wellness, so far he is eating it and not turning his nose up at it which is promising considering he was always reluctant to even touch the science diet. I'm also giving him 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt AM and PM

Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Labs View Post
MAK802 ~ Thank you very much for the info on Wellness, so far he is eating it and not turning his nose up at it which is promising considering he was always reluctant to even touch the science diet. I'm also giving him 2 teaspoons of plain yogurt AM and PM
You might try adding some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling as the added spices will likely make things worse) to his diet as well.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Keeper and Dogmama ~ Thanks to both of you ~~ I'm going to keep him on it for 4 to 6 weeks, but I just couldn't keep him on the science diet or solid gold because he seemed so miserable eating it. When I first boiled him chicken and rice and fed that to him he ate like he was starving and I felt so bad for him. He's full of energy and so playful and loving. He's training to be a therapy dog considering I take chemo and see so many people at the hospital that have no one there and they are long term patients. My last Lab was also a therapy dog and he passed away due to cancer almost a year ago, it was heart breaking and I wasn't sure I would ever want another one for fear of having my heart broke and fearing I would always compare my new pup to Rocky. I haven't been able to compare the two because they are so very different and I'm so glad I purchased him of course my bobtail Bailey isn't too excited about him yet LOL
Again thank you both for you advice!!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
Lots of great advice already given - just wanted to add you might want to add a probiotic to help with his digestive system. There are several good ones out there - I use Fastrack.

Another thing I keep on hand is Forti Flora - when my dogs have a bit of diarrhea, I sprinkle a little Forti Flora on their food...most times it's rice and boiled chicken or ground meat when their tummies are upset. You can get it from your vet of off Amazon.

Has your pup been checked for Giardia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs